“Perfect local getaway”

Ranked #1 of 1 Algonquin B&B and Inns
Oswego, Illinois, United States
“Perfect local getaway”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I found The Victorian Rose Garden Bed and Breakfast on the website of Port Edward restaurant in Algonquin while I was trying to plan a fun evening for proposing to my girlfriend. The innkeeper Sherry is such a sweet person. We were only there one night but it sure felt like home. beautifully decorated and lots of history. Sherry was so easy to talk to and neither my fiance or i wanted to leave. The breakfast she made was DELICIOUS especially the croissant french toast. Yummy! I will always remember our time there.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My family stayed with at the Rose Garden B&B and felt right at home. When we arrived earlier than expected, our host Sherry was there to accommodate our needs as we were in town for a last minute family event. Our family occupied three rooms and each had its own separate bathroom.

Since we had a strict time line, Sherry was more than willing to have breakfast ready when we needed to eat, and to prepare a different meal for dietary needs of one of our family. Breakfast was made while was snacked on fresh made banana nut bread and coffee and served right on time for our schedule.

Breakfast consisted of banana nut bread and cinnamon scones, Fresh whole strawberries and sliced banana. French toast made with croissants, bacon and sausage. Served with orange juice, water and coffee. Sherry also made oatmeal as an alternative.

There are several restaurants and lunch cafe's within walking distance.

There were no young children in our group and I wouldn't recommend the Rose Garden as a place to stay with young children.

Room Tip: The Presidential Chamber is very large and will only sleep two. It has a full size tub and shower.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Show Low, Arizona
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Traveling alone, I want to feel safe. The Victorian Rose Garden offers that and so much more.
Sherry is so gracious and serves delicious breakfasts.
I've stayed there twice and feel very much at home. It's a lovely setting and the rooms are beautifully decorated. Sharing a meal with other travelers is a real treat.
granny garee

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Il
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We were here about 4 years ago, quality was consistent. Sherry is very accommodating, one of the guests at the last minute noted the egg casserole and said "I don't do eggs" without a moments hesitation, she whipped up some fluffy pancakes for them. She had called us to ask if we had any food preferences or restrictions, too bad that one didn't mention it - they had been there the day before too. At any rate, you'd think she was a short order cook, very gracious about it.
All rooms are upstairs, so that could be a problem for some. There is a stocked refrigerator on the upper floor with water and pop if you get thirsty - also a good place to store leftovers if you dined at one of the great restaurants within walking distance!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I would highly recommend this B&B to stay at. Sherry was very accommodating. I eat low carb and was having trouble with my sugar from staying at regular hotels with no real healthy choices to pick from. The fresh cut fruit at hotels has added sugar. Sherry cooked everything fresh and served me all healthy choices. I was able to lower my sugar and enjoy Chicago's deep dish pizza one day:) The whole house is decorated quite tastefully and kept very clean. I have allergies but the cat never bothered me as he never came upstairs. You rarely see the cat and this need not stop you from staying. I only wish the presidential suite had not been booked and could have been comped to me since I did stay a whole week. I travel quite a bit and enjoyed my stay there. I was able to relax although under a grueling schedule.

Room Tip: Alicia'a room was quite nice.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Algonquin
3.7 km away
9.8 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elgin
9.1 km away
Comfort Suites Elgin

Been to Victorian Rose Garden Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK