Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Algonquin
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Algonquin
Key Largo, Florida
“Shocking”
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Most certainly the worst hotel stay of my life. Reserved a 2 room suite, presumably room being defined by wall and door so that my children could sleep quietly. Not so.

Dirty would be a strong word, but certainly not up to a major brand standard. Nasty crud in the ice bucket, and the furniture had never been moved for cleaning...if you have a 2 year old, you know how I found this out.

The pool was unsanitary. My local health department would have closed immediately as the floor drain was not visible. Instant violation.

We had an unbearable amount of noise from upstairs and all around late into the night. After calls to the front desk yielded no relief, I asked for the Manager On Duty. I was put on hold for 10 minutes and the same girl returned and informed me there was no Manager on Duty. Why it took her 10 minutes to figure that out, I am unsure. I asked when I would be able to speak with a manager, and she indicated Monday. It was Friday.

Unfortunately, it was Thanksgiving and there are not many other hotels close by, or I absolutely would have relocated. This is franchising at its worst.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank KeyLargoKen
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Customer service was absolutely horrible and extremely unaccomodating. Our room had wet stains on the sheets, hair and used soap in the bathtub. We were told there no managers on duty Friday through Monday and the attitude from the front desk was less than pleasant. Checked out of this hotel immediately and got a room elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2010
2 Thank jwatts1213

Travellers are raving about these Algonquin hotels

Des Plaines, Illinois
Reviewed 2 May 2010

We needed to stay in the Algonquin area overnight and this hotel was perfectly placed. Nothing fancy, it had all of the basis and a good staff. Nice, hot free breakfast and initial problems with phone in room were resolved quickly. Be warned, because of area sights and shopping places, many families with kids seem to stay here. We heard them running the halls but for the most part, the room was quiet. Overall, a fine small hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed 9 December 2009

I don't have anything negative to say about this hotel - I was really happy with my stay here and didn't run into any of the problems previous reviewers have mentioned. This was one of the most friendly hotels I stayed at during my two-week business trip. The front desk clerk was so friendly and helpful, and greeted me with personality and humor that picked me up after day 8 of 10 on the road.

The room was clean and comfortable (your typical HIE set up). I didn't stay long enough for breakfast the next morning - I had an early morning meeting - so I can't comment on the availability of typical HIE products. But I slept well and was ready to go the next morning with no problems.

The hotel is located near a lot of good eateries. I kicked myself for not going to Giordanos which I passed by on the way in from the highway. There's a Borders nearby if you are a bookworm like me, and all sorts of chain resturants nearby (the closest was a Ruby Tuesday).

I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke, and I didn't run into any issues with smoke at this hotel. I didn't even see people smoking in the front of the hotel. I also had no issues connecting to the internet, and was able to get quite a bit of work done online with no glitches or connection losses.

Maybe in the last few months since the last few negative reviews this place has gotten its act together, because like I said, I was quite comfortable here and would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling through the area.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 September 2009

When we arrived the elevator was broken; when we went out for church at noon the elevator was broken. My eighty year old mother-in-law was made to wait at the desk for 15 min. to inquire as to whether or not her purse had been turned in while the desk clerk checked hotel guests out. What would it have taken to look under the desk for a purse? The air conditioner was so noisy you couldn't hear the tv; but you could hear a person snoring in the next room. We stayed two days - that will be the last two days we ever stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank IllinoisSue926
Also consider these accommodations in or near Algonquin
7.4 km away
16.2 km away
Hampton Inn - McHenry
Hampton Inn - McHenry
#1 of 2 in McHenry

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Algonquin? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK