Review Highlights
Island buffet with fire dancers

I recommend getting the upgraded tickets so that you do not have to wait long in the line to enter... read more

Reviewed 6 November 2018
BrooklynTravelersPPS
Brooklyn, New York
Great food, good dancers, chatty emcee

The luau gardens at Mauna Kea are beautiful and we had a "green-flash" sunset view right from our... read more

Reviewed 27 September 2018

from US$ 112.91
from US$ 127.52
from US$ 109.00
More Info
All reviews imu ceremony fire dancers audience participation complimentary mai tai pig roasting mauna kea takes place story telling the big island authentic hawaiian protected area overlooking the ocean manta rays fish stage hula performance
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We attended the Mauna Kea Oceanfront Luau on Tuesday, 08/17/10 (my husband and I and our 8 year old son). I did a lot of research and were very pleased with this luau. The food was excellent. It was a buffet but the hotel has a great reputation for food and it deserves it. The buffet never ran low and all the food was well prepared and delicious. Heads up - alcoholic beverages are $15.00 a pop. You are greeted with a lei (complimentary) and a photo is taken - no push to get your photo taken and no push to buy at the end. I have no problem with this. The music and history of dance and fire dancer were great. They even do the blowing of the conch shell and procession of the court at the beginning. For those concerned about an authentic luau, unless you are at someone's home, there is no authentic luau. We arrived early for the emu ceremony and they explained it and my son was enthralled with this. TIP: there is a coupon currently in the Big Island Gold Magazine you can find all over the Big Island.

6  Thank Connie F
Reviewed 5 June 2010

This luau was awesome! I have been to two previous luau's (one other on the big Island and one on maui) and neither compares to the Luau at Mauna Kea. First of all, I adored the Mauna Kea hotel and beach areas. It is just so beautiful. The luau was great. It was very organized. We arrived by about 5:30; took tons of pictures all around the beautiful beach. We then got in line and were the first ones. We were given a beautiful FRESH lei and shown to our front row seats. The food was sooo good, hot and fresh. The live band was great and the show was perfect. It wasn't too long but it was very entertaining. They have the whole thing; fire eating, hula girls, great music, audience participation, ect. The waitresses were very nice. Some tips to note: they will offer you "a beverage from the bar" as soon as you sit down. I was under the impression beverages were included in the price however it is not and one mai tai is $15!!!! a coke was $5.00 so stick with water unless you really want to splurge. In all fairness the mai tai WAS good and had lots of alcohol in it - not watered down or anything. Also the advertised price is $86.00 a person but my bill came to about $120.00/person with taxes and tips already included. Just be prepared for all of this. I do think its worth the price however. Like I said, I have been to other luau's where there are tons of people, its hot, cramped and crowded with mediocre food. This was classy, a small crowd with excellent food.The atmosphere is just beautiful as well. It is beachside with the cool wind blowing, the dancers dance during sundown and its just glorious. It was personalized. Don't forget the pictures for purchase too!! They are beautiful and ready for pick up when you leave. The photographer is really nice. I got 4 large 8x10 photos for $30.00 so she is totally open to negotiating- bring cash though!!

7  Thank Lezlie
Reviewed 18 August 2009

This was top notch in every way. You will not be disappointed! It is an outdoor event on the oceanfront. The quality and variety of food was outstanding (which did not happen at the other 2 luau's I attended). Each person receives a fresh flower lei and escorted to your table. The entertainment was excellent with an authentic Hawaiian feel and not "Vegas" style. They did not have a huge number of tables as I had in other luau so everyone had a great view of the stage. Well Worth It!! Thanks Mauna Kea for a wonderful Hawaiian Luau.

10  Thank happy2trvl
Reviewed 21 February 2009

My wife and I recently did a 3 Island tour. Of course going to Hawaii means going to a Luau. I did a lot of research (which I love to do) and decided to go to the Mauna Kea Luau on the Big Island. We stayed at the Hapuna Prince Beach resort which was a short drive south of the Mauna Kea. You arrive before sunset and they take your picture (extra of course) before you enter the Luau. The setting is breathtaking. The Luau is on a rise of ground above the beach and facing the sunset. This is a first class meal and program. The pig is cooked in the ground in the traditional Hawaiian way. The food is laid out in elaborate displays. You have to take a picture of it ! Everything was very good and the wait staff attentive. The show was outstanding. The music, dancing, & fire twirling were very entertaining. I would highly recommend the Mauna Kea Luau. It is everything you dreamed a Luau would be !!!!!!

8  Thank gskline
Reviewed 23 April 2007

I had a hard time choosing a luau as I could find good and bad reviews for every one. I have not been to another luau so I cannot compare it but I am glad I chose this one. The hotel is closed now due to the earthquake but the location is awesome.

When we arrived at the luau we got our flower leis and pictures taken in front of the ocean. It was not crowded at all and from what I have read about other luaus that is not the norm. There was plenty of great food and you can actually get the menu online [--]. It includes one drink, a mai tai or rum punch, after that you have to pay for drinks. The sunset over the water was amazing to watch. They were very organized, the pig was uncovered at 5:45, dinner was served right after and then the show. The sunset was toward the end of dinner so we took some pictures. Our children were not bored at all which tells you there was no time wasted. The show was great and kept my kids attention the whole time. There was hula dancing, some hawaiian songs and the fire dancer, he was great.

7  Thank daphne95