“Four stars for staff making the effort to fix a problem”

Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center
Ranked #14 of 86 Hotels in Augusta
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I stayed at this hotel for three days, two nights. I was given what appeared to be a comfortable room on the 4th floor next to the elevators overlooking the outdoor pool and terrace. All night, between WHOOSHING noises made by the three elevators and MUZAK piped into the outdoor pool/terrace area I had a very difficult time getting to sleep and staying asleep. The music throbbed just loud enough to make the sound buzz and be very distracting from changing tempos. At 6am I called the front desk - they suggested perhaps the room next door had the music; but I put my ear to the window and called back to say no, it was distinctly outside, and could it be turned off or down.They said they would try... Odd, because my stay was in November - too cold for anyone to use this outdoor area day or night. I did ask to change rooms; I was nicely re-accomodated to a quieter section of the hotel where I got a great night's sleep the next night out of earshot of the continuous music (which I noticed stayed on THROUGHOUT the day, although no one was using pool or terrace). Near the elevators on every floor is a framed sign that says "QUIET HOUR IS 9PM - 9AM - PLEASE RESPECT THIS FOR ALL OUR GUESTS" I asked the front desk twice more during my stay to please turn off/down the pool music for the benefit of the other guests, but apparently my words fell on deaf ears, as did their own sign! It was still playing this morning at 830am and still on before I left the hotel at noon. Was the staff trying? For a Marriott they should have been more professional and accommodating. There has got to be some volume control for these forgotten areas, or is it management policy to leave it on 24/7 as they do in the indoor public areas of the lobbies where it is not a problem?

There were technical challenges in our meeting room - the ceiling lights were behaving like strobe lights during the slide presentation; hotel employees revisited the room multiple times over two days to try to control this problem. Some people were developing headaches trying to look at the presentations with the shimmy lights.

My reassigned room was comfortable overall, like the original room assigned, but had bathroom shower head issues. Housekeeping must notice this when they are cleaning, right?
I think the staff tried to do what they could for me, but for a Marriott, I was disappointed with this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT overlooking the pool or NOT next to elevators (unless you are DEAF!)
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
AugustaMarriott, Hotel Manager at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback through the Tripadvisor portal.

I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than excellent. Our goal is to give each and every guest who stays with us an excellent lodging experience and in the case of your stay we fell short. For that again you have my sincere apology.

I will share your comments with the staff in an effort to learn and improve upon our delivery of product and service. We hope to see you again in the future at which time we will do a better job.

Matthew Ricker
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 12 November 2017

spent a short time in Augusta for a wedding. Stayed at the Marriott and was very pleased. Rooms new and well furnished. Restaurant is great - bar is open late for food and drinks and is very reasonably priced. Staff is helpful and courteous. Would recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

Hotel is clean and within walking distance of some excellent local restaurants. Rooms are large and beds are comfortable. Staff is friendly and helpful. Parking can be an issue during large functions.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a work conference for 3 days. The hotel is centrally located on the Riverwalk close to plenty of restaurants and bars. The accommodations at the hotel are very nice and actually exceeded my expectations, which is very hard to do because I really hate hotels because you never know what you're going to get. This hotel is updated with a modern look, clean and has met and even surpassed all of my expectations. Im usually on edge in a hotel because I feel like I can't touch anything because their dirty however I feel very comfortable here and everything appears super clean. I was given a discounted rate for this convention and I still felt this hotel was very overpriced especially for Augusta ( but I am extremely cheap). The food for our convention was mediocre at best. However, I did see the staff going above and beyond to make sure that our glasses were filled, that our plates were cleared and that our food was served promptly. The snacks served during the convention were delicious. I would recommend this hotel to anybody coming to the Augusta area for business or pleasure. However, I can't see myself paying this high price for Augusta but if I had to come back to Augusta I might have to suck it up because I'm positive this is probably the best accommodations in the area and I'm positive their courteous staff can't be beat.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 October 2017

They are two sides to the hotel. The main tower has newer and more modern room while the other building has larger suites with kitchenettes. I was really impressed by my room. I found it so sleek and modern that I wondered why Marriott even bothered to acquire the SPG chain (it was to tap into the luxury market but I find some Marriotts, like this one, much more luxurious than many outdated SPG hotels).
Also, I loved having Netflix available onto my room's large screen smart TV. I just had to log in and I could binge watch on all the shows saved in my list.

Now the bad part. I went there for a two-day conference and everybody complained about the temperature the entire time. It was freezing cold. Since the heat worked well in the rooms, we figured that maybe the hotel was trying to save on their energy bill. Unfortunately, it was quite uncomfortable to endure this for two days.

Also, their wifi internet is not reliable. It is hard to get more than two bars and the connection often drops. Once again, that's not helpful when you're traveling for business and you're trying to join a web-conference or get some work done.

Finally, the hotel is well located in downtown Augusta. It sits right on the river (nice walk) and a couple of blocks away from many restaurants, bars and other fun places.

Room Tip: Ask for main tower with view on river
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business