All reviews north tower executive tower great location front desk staff in town within walking distance breakfast buffet broad st university area hotel bar few blocks can't beat the location the room was nice business trip early check beds were very comfortable visiting uga
Reviewed 15 June 2016

I'm going to start out with the positive first. The front desk staff were great so nice and helpful in terms of familiarizing me with the area. The hotel location can't be beat. It is right next to the University and downtown area. You really can walk to all the interesting spots. The price was also right, inexpensive.

Now for the bad. Let me preface this by saying that I worked in the hotel industry for 3 years so I have some insight into how this process works. Rule #1, do not tell someone you are giving them an upgrade and then put them in a dated room that smells musty and is in the oldest part of the hotel. For the life of me, I can't figure out what our upgrade was. Perhaps it was being on the 5th floor instead of the a lower floor. I realized that I got a great rate when I booked this hotel so I was not expecting an upgrade and had that word not been uttered at check in I would likely have been less critical of the room we received. That being said, the room we received was in the oldest part of the hotel, the North Tower. Getting to there from the front desk was a confusing maze. The room itself smelled like mildew likely from an air conditioning unit that had mildew growing inside of it. The furniture was dinged up and there were not enough outlets in this room. Additionally the room had one small window that really made the room seem dark and definitely not a place I wanted to spend any time in. It was clear that the newer portions of the hotel were in better shape. I'm still struggling to understand how I was upgraded to this room.

Date of stay: June 2016
1  Thank gusteller1
Management response:Responded 16 June 2016

We appreciate when guests take the time to provide honest feedback to us. While it appears you enjoyed the service we provide we missed on your room expectations. I am sorry we failed to provide you with an amazing stay. We have three towers at the hotel and our central tower is the oldest. North Tower typically receives great reviews. However, I will take your feedback and work to improve upon our guest experience in our entire hotel.
Again thank you for taking the time to help us be better.

Sincerely

Reviewed 14 June 2016

Stayed at Holiday Inn University area while my son toured UGA. The prices was very good on AAA (roughly $80 per night) and it was a 2 minute walk to UGA north campus. Overall, front desk was very friendly, parking was plentiful, and convenience to downtown Athens for dinner was a super easy walk. Beds were comfortable, and overall room was clean except the room had a musty odor, and there was a large water stain on the ceiling (we were on the 6th floor - room 659). My concern was there was mold possibly brewing in the ceiling that led to the musty odor. Holiday Inn should take of these issues as there are health risks, especially for people with allergies. We ate buffet lunch in dining room one day as we were in a rush to get back and forth to meetings and it was fine. We also used room service for breakfast one morning and it was there right on time. Internet was good. Maid services was also fine. Overall, I would stay here again but I would be sure to check the room for musty odor and ceiling water stain first, especially on the top floor.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank RaleighNcgator
Management response:Responded 16 June 2016

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay with us. While it appears we did well in some areas, we failed to wow you during your stay. We have recently replaced our roof over the room you stayed in. We are in the process of repairing the rooms on the 6ht floor to ensure there is no further water damage. We take our guest safety very seriously. During this repair period we ensured no area of the hotel was allowed to have mildew or mold present.

When you are back in Athens please stay with use and we will be sure to improve upon your last stay.

Reviewed 3 June 2016 via mobile

I was in Athens for a wedding. The hotel was clean. There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room along with a coffee machine an a real ironing board with iron. Not the tiny ones for travel - the real size ones. They had a pool and parking was free along with free wifi. I was originally booked at the Hilton but they charged for parking (almost $10/day) no pool and much more expensive. I don't know what their rooms are like. I was very pleased with the friendly staff at the Holiday Inn and overall cleanliness of the whole hotel.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 16 June 2016

Thank you on behalf of the Holiday Inn Athens for your amazing review. We work hard each day to exceed our guests expectations and your review goes a long way in helping us show the team our efforts are working. Weddings are a special time for everyone so thank you for staying with us.

We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Sincerely

Holiday Inn Athens

Reviewed 22 May 2016

Our family stayed here for UGA graduation and it was perfect. Staff was wonderful and room was clean and comfortable. Great breakfast included to start the day right. Within walking distance to everything, only used our car once. Book early!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
amberlk27, Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2016

Dear Bobbi10,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Holiday Inn Athens-University Area! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We know you have a lot of hotel choices when it comes to staying in Athens, and we are glad that our team exceeded your expecations! I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future next time your travels bring you to the Classic City!

Amber K
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 21 May 2016 via mobile

I only have great things to say about the staff at the Holiday Inn. The staff went out of their way to accommodate my family. The staff treated us like royalty. My daughter was graduating from UGA and we had a large group of people that were attending the graduation and needed to get ready at the hotel. The front desk staff made sure to put our rooms next door to each other The housekeeping staff were incredibly nice. They made sure we had plenty of towels and supplies. The staff at the front desk were so helpful. We needed extra passes for parking. The staff jumped right on it and helped us with anything we needed. The staff in the restaurant downstairs made the kid a grilled cheese. The maintenance men let the kids swim for an extra 20 minutes after the pool closed. Richard from maintenance was all over the hotel and always offering a helping hand. I wish I could remember all of the staff's name. Holiday Inn really hired some great employees. Thank you for making our stay enjoyable. The hotel rooms were clean. The pool was great. The gym was even impressive. I am sold on Holiday Inn. I can't wait to book my next vacation with Holiday Inn. Thank you so much. The Faulk family will be back soon.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Connie,

I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay at Holiday Inn Athens-Univesrity Area! Our team members work very hard to exceed the expectations of our guests and will certainly pass along your kind remarks. We hope that you choose to stay with us next time your travels bring you to Athens!

Amber K