“Okay stay - dated property, poor breakfast, hot fitness center”

Courtyard Athens Downtown
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Waxhaw, North Carolina
“Okay stay - dated property, poor breakfast, hot fitness center”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

One night in early September. Some issues navigating into hotel (one way entrances & streets). This is a dated property. Bed was great however. Breakfast buffet (paid) next morning missing items (no home fries) and eggs were made to order (sounds nice, but not if you want to eat and go). Fortunately they only charged me for a continental breakfast. Fitness center was too hot to workout in. Whirlpool (outside) barely produced any bubbles - no significant impact to turning on the pump. Recommend you stay about 5 miles away at the Springhill Suites.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Stephen L, General Manager at Courtyard Athens Downtown, responded to this review, 29 April 2017
Thank you for your review! I apologize for the experience during your stay. You covered a lot of great areas in your review that other guests will find helpful. We will o work in our Bistro and Front Desk to improve the service to our guest. It still amazes me the wealth of information they have of things to see and do in Athens! I appreciate the comments, we really love what we do so it’s nice that it shows through. I’ve shared your comments with the team and of course they loved them! Please on your next stay stop by the desk I’d like to thank you in person.

Stephen
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Eatonton
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We came to stay for one night and our top priority was someplace that we could walk to after enjoying the craft beers of Athens and stay under $100 for the night. (Athens CVB had a coupon.) I chose Courtyard because it was fairly close to restaurants and bars and it had positive reviews. The room was decorated nicely, the hotel honored my requests for extra pillows and a second floor room. Check-in was easy, the staff were very nice and helpful. Icemaker was around the corner, the halls were pretty quiet. Parking was easy. And we were pleased to find a small fridge in our room (wasn't listed as a part of the amenities.) Internet access was a little slow, but better than expected and no charge.

Not so good - there is no fan in the bathroom - takes awhile for a shower fog to leave the mirror. The sink is small - not great if two people are trying to get ready for a night out. No free breakfast - but we were planning to enjoy brunch out anyway.

Room Tip: Next time I'd stay on the first floor - the 2nd floor rooms could be a challenge to access depen...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Stephen L, General Manager at Courtyard Athens Downtown, responded to this review, 28 April 2017
Thank you for your wonderful review! I apologize I’m just responding, I’ve just been able to get back into the site. You covered a lot of great areas in your review that other guests will find helpful. We do have several college students who work in our Bistro and Front Desk and it still amazes me the wealth of information they have of things to see and do in Athens! I appreciate the kind comments on how clean the hotel is and how friendly the staff is, we really love what we do so it’s nice that it shows through. I’ve shared your comments with the team and of course they loved them! Please on your next stay stop by the desk I’d like to thank you in person.

Mableton, Georgia
Reviewed 22 April 2011

My husband and I live in Atlanta, but wanted to have a short night away. Athens was perfect with the 1.5 hr drive. We are college sports fans and UGA happened to be playing our alma mater in baseball that weekend. We didn't want to spend too much money on a hotel and we trust the Marriott brand, so with this hotel's close proximity to campus and downtown, it seemed like a great option.

The location is ideal - we walked to restaurants in the cute downtown area (by the way Last Resort Grill is awesome). However, when we wanted to sleep that night, it was really tough. The bed itself was uncomfortable. The hallway noise was abnormally loud - it seemed as though we didn't have a door or walls separating us from the hall. We did not sleep well at all and woke up the next morning to a guest talking to a hotel staff member in the hall, and I could have sworn they were in our room -the conversation was that clear. The bathroom was super tiny - the door almost hits the counter. The room certainly felt more like a motel than a Marriott. It was tough to manage the AC temp. I woke up throughout the night turning it down - we had it on 55 degrees to sleep comfortably and I didn't even use the sheets!

I wouldn't stay here again. When we left the next day, we realized it would have been better to pay more for the B&B we looked up. We might have felt more rested! If you're looking for a place right by campus and have earplugs - this hotel would probably be sufficient.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Melissa D
Reviewed 13 January 2011

I was forced to stay an extra night in Athens because of the recent snow and ice storm. The staff at the courtyard went above and beyond to make an unpleasant situation positive. They provided a complimentary meal on Monday night for those of us that were stuck inside and even offered to clear the snow and ice from our cars before leaving. Because of the circumstances guests and staff became like family which in my mind is the best compliment I can pay them.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

South
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Spent Saturday night 10/23/10 in Athens at this property. This was obviously not built as a Courtyard property as some rooms have outside key card access. Hotel was clean and functional, no big issues. Pretty average for a typical Courtyard. I thought this location was a little closer to Downtown shops/resetaurants but it's about a 10 min walk. Some noise in the hallway from other guests but nothing major. Minor A/C issues but overall we had a comfortable evening.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IslandBoy1
Thank you for the great comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We knew would have a great stay with us . The Bistro is a great place to meet and have breakfast or dinner and enjoy your favorite Starbucks beverage The happy hour rocks between 5pm and 7 pm . We do pride ourselves in providing outstanding guest service and thank you for acknowledging the staff and how helpful they were and how clean our hotel during your stay. We hope you will come back to see us the next time you are in Athens.