“Very Good, Typical Chinese Food with Good Ambience and Very Good Service”
Review of Chef Ming

Chef Ming
Ranked #267 of 441 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 15 September 2017

I visited Chef Ming’s around 5:30 on a Wednesday evening and there were just a few other patrons at the time. The restaurant is in a strip mall that’s part of a Kroger and close to the Home Depot on the west side of Athens. A couple of people were waiting for pick-up orders – I saw several people come in to pick up orders during my visit, making me think this place is popular for take-out. I didn’t see a host or hostess when I came in and no employees in sight, but a man finally came to the cashier’s location to take a take-out customer’s payment. When he was done taking their money, he asked if I was picking up and I explained I wanted to dine in. He seated me in a booth on the opposite side of the restaurant, but still in the front room. I looked around and saw the place has some oriental carvings in the dividers by the tables in the middle (see picture) as well as a tall carving used as part of the wall just inside the entrance. During my visit soft Asian vocal music played in the background, adding to the atmosphere. As I was seated, the man asked what I wanted to drink and I ordered sweet tea, although the place also has a couple of Asian beers – Kirin and TsingTao – as well as standard American fare (Budweiser, Bud Light) and Corona from Mexico. When the man returned with my tea, he took my order, which included a couple of vegetable egg rolls, hot and sour soup for one, and shrimp in black bean sauce. Within minutes a plate of what appeared to be soggy cucumbers (see picture) was put in front of me and as I sampled them they tasted like pickles. This is something that appears to be brought out to all patrons and I found the pickled cucumbers to be good. A little later the vegetable egg rolls (see picture) came out and I enjoyed them with some of the hot mustard already on the table. The hot and sour soup came out next (see picture), accompanied by fried wonton strips. This hot and sour soup doesn’t contain meat but only tofu, and the taste is peppery but not as strong as some I’ve had elsewhere (that literally clean out the sinuses in some cases). The shrimp in black bean sauce came out last and included broccoli, carrots, onions, and snow peas, although I only saw a couple of snow peas. I put it over white rice (see picture) and with a little soy sauce it was delicious – I especially liked the quantity and quality of the shrimp in the dish; the shrimp tasted fresher than I expected. The man who served me did a good job of clearing my dishes after each course and keeping my iced tea full. Based on the price and the quality of the food, I’d return to Chef Ming’s next time I’m in the area.

Reviewed 6 June 2017

I fell in love with this place the first time I ate here. I do agree that the food is inconsistant, but I have never had a bad meal, just an excellent or a boring one. The service is always good, the one time it was below par, there was only one waitstaff on and she was taking phone orders, running tables and putting up with a couple of obnoxious families at lunch with whiny children. I am not sure who needed the time out more, the kids or the parents. They were seated next to us and both my daughter and I were on the verge of asking them to put a sock in it. She did not show any frustration with them ans was polite. The chef was even coming out of the kitchen to help serve. This was one of times I had a less than perfect meal, This time it was Orange Flavored beef and it was a bit on the boring side and a touch too sweet.

Most of the time their spicing is perfect, when i order spicy I expect it to burn, but not hide the flavor. Their Yu Xing Eggplant is perfect. Spicy but the sauce does not overpower the taste of the vegetables. However, leftovers do not do well on this dish, at least if more than overnight. The Hot and Sour soup is good, but not great. But the Kunpao Chicken , Mongolian Beef and Singapore Noodles are worth the drive out to the connector.

Reviewed 22 May 2017

What a great spot to have lunch with friends! Plenty of room inside for us and the customers who eat and leave, so the staff didn't rush us off. We had time to ask questions about the menu, have another pot of tea, and talk and talk without being interrupted.

The won ton soup was not the best, but everything else all of us ordered was great! The staff is attentive and courteous. Restroom was clean, too. You gotta see the giant rubber tree near the front door - it's growing crazily toward the glass. It is huge!

1  Thank CBGeorgia
Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

We were looking for a place to eat on Christmas day. Decided to try Checking Mings. The restaurant is located in Kroger shopping center but found food to be much better than the typical food served in these type restaurants. We had the chicken with vegetables and spicy chicken. The food was fresh and tasty although the spicy chicken did not seem spicy. We were not servedl any noodles with the meal .Although the food was served quickly the waitress never returned to our ta me after that. I know they were busy due to them being the only restaurant open on Xmas but should have better service. The food was good enough that we will give them another chance when we are back in the area.

Reviewed 19 December 2016

I first ordered from Chef Ming's 15 years ago. The food was reliable. After a several year hiatus, I tried the menu again twice this year. It was amazingly disappointing both times. The take out order (over 60 dollars) was underseasoned and cold. Most recently, I did dine in, where the disinterested server did not pay attention to my request to make my meal spicy hot. Everything was bland, including the "hot and sour" soup. My dining companion and I could also hear the chef or other personnel loudly clearing his throat and sniffling. We lost our appetite. Be warned.