“Not what is once was”

Chef Ming
Ranked #267 of 452 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 19 December 2016

I first ordered from Chef Ming's 15 years ago. The food was reliable. After a several year hiatus, I tried the menu again twice this year. It was amazingly disappointing both times. The take out order (over 60 dollars) was underseasoned and cold. Most recently, I did dine in, where the disinterested server did not pay attention to my request to make my meal spicy hot. Everything was bland, including the "hot and sour" soup. My dining companion and I could also hear the chef or other personnel loudly clearing his throat and sniffling. We lost our appetite. Be warned.

Reviewed 21 November 2016 via mobile

The wife suggested Chinese food for dinner and as we are visiting in Athens we asked a local for a recommendation. He said Chef Ming was his choice so there we headed. We had a tasty dinner from a pretty typical local Chinese menu. The pork lo mein was good and suited our needs well. The in house lightly pickled cucumbers were a nice touch. The sizzling soup was a bit disappointing as it was put together in the kitchen so we got no sizzle.

Reviewed 1 August 2016

Lunch today, seated promptly and order taken by server. It's all downhill after that, although we did get our orders... sort of.
Party of four, of whom two ordered identical entrees.
Soup served, no appetizers, and then the first of the two identical meals. No appetizers, so I asked the second server, who promised to see to it.
The other three meals arrive.Very, very mediocre food, more what one would expect from the supermarket freezer.
Still no appetizers. When I received the check, I mentioned the lack of appetizers and that I had spoken to the other server during the meal. Server number 1 reappeared with appetizers to go, I declined I had just finished the meal and requested an offset in the bill, which was granted... to the penny.
Facts.

Reviewed 28 June 2016

When we get a "yen" for Chinese, we head for Chef Ming. We have a variety of favorites and always bring home warmups for the next day. There are always plenty of people there and service is prompt and friendly.

Reviewed 4 May 2016

Keep in mind that this is a Chinese restaurant in a Kroger shopping center. Do not expect the best Kung Pao chicken in the universe. That said, this was very good, very fresh food with a pleasant staff and a clean dinning room. I will be going back.