“Amazing beef sandwich. With even better fries!”
Review of Al's Beef - CLOSED

Al's Beef
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Good beef and Insanely good French fries. Well worth a visit

2  Thank Harry95

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Bread fresh baked, excellent fries, one of the best roast beef ( and unusual for anyone not familiar with Italian Beef) sandwiches ever.

2  Thank johngaltline
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Just as good as original. Everything is good on the menu. I recommend beef sandwich "dipped & wet" with provolone and hot/sweet peppers.

2  Thank gaorbust
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Al's has been my favorite Italian Beef eatery since I was a child growing up in Chicago. My dad brought them home regularly and it became a tradition as an adult. So my love for Al's Beef sandwiches spans over several decades. I have never purchased a Combo sandwich outside of the downtown area of Chicago, so I was a little surprised by my first visit to this new location in Athens, Ga. My impression of this GREAT establishment was this:

The beef was not as tender as it's Chicago pioneers and didn't share the same flavor, the au jus was too salty, and the Italian sausage was overcooked or a better description might be that it clearly had been sitting around for a while. The Pièce de résistance of eating this masterpiece is the beautifully soggy bread after it has been dipped in the au jus, but here again they didn't match up. The bread is not the same as in Chicago locations and it fell apart like a cheap napkin. Lastly, the fries had so much salt that I thought about going to the hospital to get my blood pressure checked afterwards... lol!!!

So why the 3-Star rating??? Well, because:
A) This location is new and will probably work out some of the kinks in time (HOPEFULLY)
B) in fairness to someone who has never had a real Chicago-style Italian Beef, this will probably fit THEIR taste buds just fine. But to someone who knows how good these Italian Beef sandwiches are, this place will only make you scratch your head and go back outside to double check the name on the sign.

I just recently came back from a trip to Chicago and took the opportunity to visit the original Al's location on Taylor street. I wanted to see if my recollection of this awesome sandwich was correct. I can say with confidence that if I were doing a taste test of the two locations, I would think they were TOTALLY different restaurants. Al's Chicago is flavorful and perfectly cooked, but one of the most noticeable visual differences is the portions of beef. Al's Athens location has what I consider a laughable amount of meat whereas it's Chicago predecessors have gargantuan amounts. What would really make you scratch your head is they cost about the same - $6.85/$6.35 (with the Athens location being slightly higher). Oh well, seems that I still have to go to Chicago to get the best Italian Beef Combo sandwiches, even though there is a location less than 45 minutes away.