“Convenient location, great staff”
Review of Gran Hotel Sula

Gran Hotel Sula
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in San Pedro Sula
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Stayed here for 1 night before a flight home. Staff is very friendly and helpful and the location is pretty convenient - rooms overlooked the square and a beautiful church nearby. It is an older hotel, but I think that's what gives it some of it's charm. Definitely listen to the staff about not crowding in the elevator though - it is very slow and small (they recommend only 3 people at a time) and apparently does get stuck sometimes if too many people crowd in. Beds were really comfortable and breakfast in the cafe was very good (french toast - yum). They also had free wi-fi. Used their airport shuttle the next morning and made it to the airport with no trouble - overall, it worked out well and think it was a good value.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the square are fun for people-watching but if you're a light sleeper, they can...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed here before our flight home and I think it's fine for just one night.
The room was nothing special . The bed was comfortable and the bathroom OK but not that clean. However, I loved the view from our room which was over the Square and it was nice to stand on the balcony and 'people watch'.
Food was average although I thought the breakfast room was noisy and it was a bit like sitting in the kitchen with all the cooking noise and smells. We decided to sit outside near the pool which was quieter and more relaxing.
Staff were very helpful when we wanted to order a taxi to the airport but generally they seem to be a bit uninterested.
What I really liked about the hotel was the location. Just around the corner from the hotel is a tourist market and it's very easy to walk there and it's very hassle free to walk around considering what you may want to buy to take home with you. On the other side of the square are some shops with T-shirts, shoes, etc and also some market traders set up on the roads. We wandered around for a couple of hours in the late afternoon and felt quite safe so it was a nice way to spend our last day in Honduras.
To summarise therefore, the hotel is nothing special but I'd happily return to stay overnight on the way to somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We were supposed to leave San Pedro Sula but were delayed in a business meeting. This was the closest hotel so we decided to saty. Its and average, below average hotel. When we arrived we were told the parking was about a block down, anyone who hs been to San Pedro knows that alot can happen in a blocks walk. Since we arrive late at night it was a little scary. The receptionist was very friendly, wait time to get checked in was average. The room was below average, the AC was blowing dust and noisy. I had stayed here before but I didnt remeber hitel being so outdated. Around 10pm we went to the bar, to find the bartenders sitting around the bar, it was Friday night but it felt like a monday night. I got a water down drink, then we were told the bar was closing and we asked if we could be billed to our room, I dont remember what the girl said, needless to say we ended up paying the tab. We ended up going to another bar later on. In the morning when we ordered room service I had no change so I asked to charge breakfast to my room, the server said he couldnt do that???? I had to change a large bill for a small tab. The food was average food at hotel price. Overall it was not a good experience. I find it hard to believe that it is so hard to find decent service in Honduras, management should do more to train these kids. Personally I wont stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Tip: For $20 more you can stay at a much better hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank DennisR35
Reviewed 3 June 2012

The hotel was just ok. It is ok to stay the night before your flight home. The room a/c was noisy but the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was sufficient but could have been cleaner and used a serious updating.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank CuriousMiTraveler
Reviewed 6 May 2012

This hotel is about 40 years old, but from my experience it's been kept up very well. Room 201 was a little smaller than what they build these days, but the flat screen TV, new bedding, and a large patio overlooking the pool more than make up for it. Wi-fi worked very well, as did the air-conditioning. There are a lot of Central American hotels that aren't maintained well, but this isn't one of them. Everything worked in the smallish bathroom, and the sink and fixtures are straight out of a bygone era. I think the lobby is very nice and the pool area has a waterfall. It's very beautiful and peaceful, and clean.

Service at the front desk and at the very cool retro-diner Cafe Skandia was excellent. The free breakfast was a 100 lempira credit and any number of things on the menu can be had for that.
Security in front of the hotel is attentive and caring. One of the security guards stopped me coming out of the hotel and gave me a very quick and polite security lecture.

Secure parking is around the corner, but it doesn't seem like the hotel owns the lot. They have an arrangement where you get your parking validated at the front desk each time you leave. You will have some people approach you at the entrance of the parking lot, trying to sell a car wash. They are not dangerous and a simple no gracias is all it takes.

If you can get the internet rate, a room at this hotel will cost half of what the newer hotels charge, making it a great bargain, considering the level of service and cleanliness. Thumbs up!

One of the best things about Honduras is that some things never, never change. In a different country this hotel would have been torn down and replaced with a drugstore, with another one across the street. Good for me, because I like to see old buildings kept alive. I will stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo