All reviewsdive shopblue bayoufourth floorhotel restaurantmeet your needsbreakfast was includedsecond storyferry dockshore divethe air conditioningceiling fangolf carthot watertukhanslockrepellent
Reviewed 19 February 2015

I stayed there 10 days and did about 20 dives and also did the PADI advanced open water course with them and their dive shop. I have absolutely no complaints about Coral View or the dive shop and the people there were terrific in every way. One of the reasons I went there was that I did not want to be on a "cattle" boat with 20 divers which seems to be common with many of the other Utila dive shops. Most dives were with 4 to 6 people and a number were just me and the dive master. The room was clean ( but basic) ..... the food was very good.... and the dive people were really wonderful.

Now here is the second part of my review. ( Which has nothing, really , to do with Coral View .... but with Utila ...., in general. )

Utila has very nice people. And I felt very safe there. Which is wonderful.
But it was OK for me as I was alone and just wanted to do some diving. But I don't think I would recommend it for people with children or people who might be looking for a "tropical get-away". It's pretty much a place for 20'ish people go to get their dive certifications and party a bit at some of the bars.

Being of a slightly "older" group myself I am looking for slightly different things. I love great diving but want some nicer restaurants at night with pleasant music and a nice beach and a few thing to do other than diving . And a respect for the environment and the general surroundings for ALL groups of people. Utila is a nice place but the people there need to do everything they can to protect their natural resources like the reef and wildlife and the town and the general environment.

I stated the above for reasons of comparison. I have also stayed in Roatan for a number of weeks and the bottom line is that the diving in Roatan is very comparable and the accommodations , beaches , and restaurants more than a bit "nicer" ( but slightly more expensive)...,.and a bit more "family" friendly.

As in all things in life..... you pleasure depends on what you are looking for.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
7  Thank C K
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Coral View was suggested through an email newsletter called "Bookmydive". The stay for 7 nights along with 15 dives over 5 days at an incredible low price was too good to pass up for our "going south" vacation. We had "gone north" to Alaska in July and I still needed to dive and have the warm tropical weather experience to get me through another winter. We have usually gone to Belize over the last several years as I dive and my husband fly fishes and prefers the "flats" for bonefish, tarpon and permit. I made sure Utila did indeed have "flats" and though not a big industry of filled with expensive fly fishing guides, my husband was able to fly fish everyday not far from Coral View, take their kayak out into the lagoon and mangroves and then we did go with a local fisherman to the other side of the island one day. He did catch (and release) bonefish nearly every day and had a tarpon on the line just out back in the lagoon where the marina is.
The hotel is quaint, well maintained, and very clean and has the most kind and thoughtful people. All are interested in you being comfortable and having your needs met. Don't let "having the pool and dock to the ocean "across" the road, the road is literally 6-7 feet across and is sand. This is not a fancy resort, a tourist place nor is most of Utila. It is a little off the beaten path and you are in another country, so let that be your experience. There is always Cancun if you are looking for swim up bars and never leaving the resort (or the noise, the people and the chaos).
In The front of the hotel contains the saltwater pool, a long dock, deck and bar with access to the ocean, (and shore dives) the back of the hotel has a boardwalk that goes to a small marina, dive shop and the dive boats on the lagoon side. (Sunrises and Sunsets from the veranda).
As for the dive shop, could not have been better. Every summer the hotel and dive shop hosts research students and teachers for many weeks with a volume of people. This program had ended the week before I got there and I, the only diver at the hotel/ dive shop scheduled that week still went out on the boat dives every day with what turned out to be a one on one experience with the same dive master (Bel- Hi Bel!, you are terrific and made my entire trip 10 times better) and the same 2 Captains. Needless to say I was thrilled and grateful as many dive places will not even consider taking out 1 diver, let alone for boat dives every day. (1 morning there were 2 other local divers that joined us, local as in just moving to Utila from Canada).
The rest of Utila is an experience, the little town has the same 7-8 foot wide road, though paved but you are sharing this “road” with walkers, bikes, strollers, motorcycles, scooters, quads, 3 wheeled taxis and an occasional car or truck. Yikes!!, If people ask about the dangers of diving with sharks I will point them to this road and its commuters who don’t seem to follow any traffic rules or patterns. I will stick with the sharks.
The diving was great, the reefs are very lush and very healthy, lots of reef fish, rays, spotted eagle rays and even 4 different seahorses and a pipehorse. Alas, no whale shark that week.
If you are looking for off the beaten path, real island life, very reasonable prices and kind, friendly people, I would certainly recommend Coral View Dive Shop and Hotel.
(P.S. There are many dive shops in town with accommodations, but they and their dive boats are crowded- Coral View is one dive master to six divers, and even less, as in my case)
Thank you for a great experience in Utila, still have to still a whale shark so I may be back.

Room Tip: Corner room on second floor has great ocean view Wifi in lobby/ dining area
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 154Michelle
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We had a wonderful 8 night stay here in March 2014. The diving is what drew us there, but we would go back again just for the island vibe. This is not the touristy, 5 star hotel experience of other locations. Only one TV, internet limited to the restaurant-lobby area, but we needed to disconnect anyway! We regularly walked the 2 or 3 km into town & back in the afternoons, after some fabulous diving. Dive shop is super! These are folks who love what they do. The breakfast was great way to start the day. We also had many other meals there, mixed with a few meals in town. Sea breezes almost all day every day.

Room Tip: There is an old building & a newer building. Newer building may catch better breezes, views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank T S
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Spent 8 weeks here last summer from June till August. Absolutely incredible time was had by all. Swam with dolphins, turtles, rays and sharks. Every one working at this resort is friendly and you are made to feel at home as soon as you jump on to the jetty. Will be returning this summer to stay at Coral View has to be the best place to stay on Utila!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alex W
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Great! Very nice people! The diving was magnificent! Very qualified instructors, very knowledgeable about the reef and safe and fun diving!!!
The food was pretty good. I love that there is a bar and a sun dock right on the water front!

Room Tip: It's about a 15-20 min walk into town, which is once for the exercise and not to be too close to the madness. Great snorkelling right off the dock!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends