All reviews jewel cay freshest fish hotel is situated utila cays diving hot water dive shop christie bogdan bed reef dock amenities boat bugs island owner accommodations
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

I had to move out of the place I was staying in ( long story ). I was so happy to be taken in to the hotel by the lovely owner Christi. She set me up in a nice clean room and made sure I was comfortable. The staff is nice. The setting is beautiful and the owner is fantastic. Great experience in the utila keys.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2018

I loved the location of this small intimate hotel. I had one of the 'windy' rooms, and you sure did not need a AC or fan at all. The waves break right outside the window behind the bed creating a wonderful soundtrack for sleep (I tried to read in bed twice but the sounds of the waves put me to sleep within minutes....)
The decks outsides give you a fabulous spot right over the reef which is at least as exciting and diverse as any of the diving spots that you need a boat to reach.
There was good hot water and a strong wifi available and a basic kitchen if you want to cook. The owner will cook lunch or dinner for you if you prearrange it and I had a great barracuda lunch. Btw, her father is the one operating a boat from Utila on most days for 50 lempira. Beware that the ride can be rough and wet depending on the sea.

Overall a great deal for the location!

Room tip: I loved the 'windy' room but if the sound of the water disturbed your sleep ask for a room on the other side
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank dlweltenbummler
Reviewed 12 February 2018

If you don't like commercialized vacations then Hotel Kayla is the place for you! My family has visited the cays three times. The first two times we rented a home across the water on the main island of Utila. The home was excellent and similar to our home back in the states with privacy, full kitchen, and a sandy beach. While visiting we would boat across to Jewel Cay where Hotel Kayla is located and enjoyed the meeting the locals and socializing. Our most recent trip we decided to stay at the Hotel Kayla. It is a classic retro hotel that really feels like your cabin in the north woods of Minnesota or Canada. It is clean and welcoming. One of the benefits is Christie and Melvin (husband and wife). Christie is the chef and Melvin is a commercial fisherman who catches fresh fish every day and loves to take you with him. Her meals are outstanding and the fish served is as fresh as it gets. Their food and hospitality will make you fall in love with the Cays and appreciate every day you get to spend with them. If you are looking for the simple life in the Caribbean, this is the place for you. We will be back very soon!

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Tom P
Reviewed 20 July 2017

While we didn't stay at the Hotel Kaya we spent a lot of time here during our scuba diving certification. Christie prepares home cooked meals upon request for breakfast, lunch, and dinner that can be eaten at the hotel or prepared for take out. The meals were absolutely delicious and the variety of food was amazing. The lodging accommodations were very clean and well kept. We met several people who were staying in the hotel and they confirmed that this was the case. Bogdan took exceptional care of us as well as those who were staying in the hotel. This place is awesome and we hope to stay here in the future.
Steve and Denise Becker

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Steven B
Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

Hotel Kayla has the perfect location on Jewel Cay, right on the water with a nice reef in the front.
Our room was amazing! The most comfortable bed, an ozeanbreeze, lovely view to Jewel Cay and the open ocean and we were able to watch the sunrise from bed!
There is coffee, drinking water and a kitchen to use.
We had so much fun walking around, talking to the really nice and welcoming locals, snorkling the reef right in front of the hotel and eating the freshest fish!
Bogdan (the manager of the dive shop "Utila Cays Diving") made us feel at home right away, even though we weren't diving. He showed us around, organized transportation to Utila for us and was just really nice to hang out with.
Thank you for an amazing time!
We will definitely be back for some diving!

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple