All reviews oak ridge great diving dive master lion fish sea life central america davit cocoa davey dives boat reef resort key cornhole dock paradise
Reviewed 8 September 2016

Living and working on Roatan is incredible. However, oftentimes work gets in the way of actually being able to enjoy all that the island has to offer, particularly East End destinations and activities. Well, after a year and a half, I decided to quit my job and take advantage of the island while I could; I immediately booked an overnight trip to the Reef House with some fellow dive instructors and we made an adventure out of it.

The Reef House was exactly what I needed - it completely renewed my love for the island and has me questioning my decision to leave. From the initial pickup in the boat, to the final farewell, the staff treated us like family. Davey (aka Kenny Powers) and Keith treated us more like old friends than guests, frequently joining us for a riveting game of dominoes, drinks, and laughs. They had us smiling the entire time.

The food was amazing - super delicious, massive portions, all served at a family-sized table to be shared with other guests.

The rooms were very comfortable, with delightfully firm mattresses, hot showers, and powerful A/C.

The diving was spectacular, as the resort is located on the south shore of the East End, which means way less divers to mess up the reef. In 3 dives I was blessed with a Caribbean Reef shark, massive seahorse, and bearded toadfish - all extremely rare to find on the Western, more touristy side of the island.

I cannot express how insane the value of the Reef House is - for $100 I enjoyed one night's accommodations, 3 meals, and 3 dives. I wouldn't have been able to dive twice at my former dive shop in West Bay for $100, much less get meals and lodging.

Do yourself a major favor and get up to the Reef House NOW. The only thing you'll regret is not doing it sooner.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chelsea I
reefhouseresort, Neighbor in Chief at Reef House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

Hey Chelsea!

Loved having you and friends, both the two and four legged varieties :)

Come back anytime and thanks so for the kind words!

Reviewed 5 September 2016

We went to a party at the Reef House yesterday. There were 2 guys playing music, the place was filled with expats and some islanders, people were eating, swimming, and socializing. The cook was grilling pork chops and the platters of food were HUGE. Their beer is ice cold, their drinks actually have booze in them and they aren't stingy with a glass of wine. Since we were having dinner at our house later that evening I only had a platter of french fries but others were raving about the pork chops and the amount of food they were given. Absolutely my favorite place to go on a Sunday with my expat friends.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Deb C
reefhouseresort, Neighbor in Chief at Reef House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2016

Thanks so much Deb, always love having you come spend the day with us! See ya real soon :)

Reviewed 9 August 2016

Well if you are looking for a place to be treated like you are the only guest they have this is the place. It is nothing fancy but if you want to be waited on and request anything they make sure it happens. The owners and staff are very nice. They do everything they can to make your stay pleasant. Remember it was built in 1969 and they are attempting to renovate however it is clean. If your a 5 star resort with plush amenities this is not the place for you however simple easy living it is a 5 star stay! Thank you so much and I will return. If your an avid diver or love to fish dive sites are right out front of resort that you can swim to if you like or snorkel the lagoon which has walk in step are for ease of entering the water! Thanks so much for making my stay so wonderful! Michael Bodden is awesome to fish with and makes sure you catch some fish!

Room Tip: room 12 sits on the water and the bathroom has been updated. All you hear is the ocean.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
reefhouseresort, Neighbor in Cheif at Reef House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2016

Thanks so much! It was great meeting you.

Glad you made it home safe and come again anytime :)

The Reef will be here waiting.

Reviewed 27 July 2016

The Reef House Resort isn't the most "fancy" place in the world; but if you are a scuba diver, don't you expect the BEST thing about your trip to be the diving? The resort is a comfortable and relaxing place that provides all of your needs; good food, a comfortable room, and great views of the water. What makes this resort stand out is the dive locations and the dive-masters, specifically Daviad. This man is a gentle, fun-loving diver with the uncanny ability to spot the most interesting creatures, no matter how big or small. This year was my 4th visit to the resort. Every year, the management has continued to improve the experience by adding optional services like massages, excursions, and live musical entertainment I am a teacher in Connecticut and we have a scuba club at our school. At the end of every school year we plan a week long trip to dive in the tropics. We have been to a number of locations from the Keys to Cozumel; but without a doubt the Reef House Resort is our most favorite and relaxing location (so much so that we ALWAYS return every other year!!).

Room Tip: The suites have windows, not just louvers, so that you can control the temperature better.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
reefhouseresort, Neighbor in Cheif at Reef House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2016

Hey!

Thanks so much for coming... again :) and can't wait to see you again soon! Davitt and the Reef and all the rest of us will be waiting for ya! Thanks so for the Review.

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

So this review is meant to help out folks who have not yet been to Roatan or Reef House Resort and briefly touch on some areas not already mentioned in previous reviews.

My wife and I just returned from a one week vacation at RHR. We arrived on Saturday and left on the following Saturday. As you guessed this was our first visit to Roatan and neither of us knew what to expect. First of all you'll be provided entry forms on the arrival flight that will need to be filled out. Inside the airport were english speaking volunteers that were very helpful in directing us to the right location. They're all wearing similar shirts (local resort shirt with "volunteer" printed on them). Free advertising I suppose. At Immigration you'll submit yourself for finger prints and photos as well as standard questions. Nothing difficult. Roatan's $40pp exit tax should be included in your airfare cost (noted as D1 and D2 tax).

The resort had a cab driver waiting with a Reef House sign. Since it was just us two the cab was a car but for larger groups they can arrange a van. Francisco was our driver both to and from RHR...very friendly but knew very little english. Didn't matter to us since his cheery attitude and friendliness put us at ease. The drive to Oak Ridge is about 30min long down a winding mountain road. If you're prone to car sickness bring whatever helps you (for my wife it was gum). Once in Oak Ridge you'll transfer to a small boat for the final 3 minute leg to RHR.

RHR is a fairly small resort but that's a good thing. Less divers! The staff was extremely friendly and Keith (manager) made sure we didn't need anything and answered any questions we had. Secci (chef) and her staff made really good meals. Nothing too fancy but you will not go away hungry after eating. I'm a very finicky eater and was always pleasantly surprised. I can't say enough about all the friendly resort staff. Even Jimmy (grounds keeper) took time to chat a bit with us.

As the pictures previously posted show the resort is right on the ocean. We were expecting brutal hot temps in July but the ocean breeze kept the temps very very tolerable. Cooler than home! We spent our non-diving time just relaxing and listening to the ocean.

Now to the important part...THE DIVING! There wasn't one dive that we were disappointed with. Everywhere you look something is growing or moving. Most of our dives were wall dives with some overhangs and swim-thrus. During our 17 dives we saw turtle, eagle ray, southern stingray, green and spotted moray, cleaner shrimp, banded shrimp, cow fish, puffer, barracuda, snapper, french angelfish, flounder, trumpet fish, parrot fish, damsel fish, cow fish, goby, jawfish, trigger fish, tons of blue tang, scorpion fish, lion fish, squirrel fish, spotted drum, lobster, and multiple seahorse and nudibranch. But I digress. You will definitely have plenty to point your camera at. Choco is a great captain and Davit is an expert DM and still a legend! You will not be disappointed! And after watching another resort dive boat drop 20+ divers off like they were carpet bombing the reef I was glad we were with RHR.

In the end we were sad to have to leave RHR and Roatan. We definitely recommend trying out the east end of the island if you like smaller dive groups and a less hectic pace. RHR is not a posh 4-star resort but it meets the needs of folks who aren't necessarily high maintenance and want to experience some truly spectacular dive sites. We're definitely going back in the future!

Hope this review helps out some newbies like us.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank Terry H

Hey Terry,

Glad you guys made it back to GA safe and sound and so happy to meet ya! Can't wait to have you back soon and thanks so much for the Review!