“4.5 star.......NO WAY” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in Roatan
Toronto, Canada
“4.5 star.......NO WAY”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We were extremely disappointed with the 4.5 star hotel the Media Luna. The resort has great potential but is NOT a 4.5 star resort as listed in the Sunwing brochure. I would rate this hotel as a 3 star maximum. I`ve been to 3 star resorts in Cuba and this hotel is not up to Cuba`s 3 star standard. We spoke with our Sunwing rep at the resort and expressed our sincere disappointment with the Media Luna. She would pass on our comments and concerns to the Sunwing head office in Canada. She said she receives many complaints about the Media Luna.

Room and Property-
The property was nicely landscaped and the room was quite nice. We enjoyed the large deck with 2 chairs. Sunwing brochure mentions lounge chairs but only had directors chairs. Not good for laying out. Only 1 bath towel was provided per person per day.
No telephones in rooms, had to walk to the lobby every time we needed something or had a question.....unacceptable for a 4.5 star property. There was NO turndown service in the evenings or no towel replacements during the day. The bed linens were not changed during our week. Upon arrival they supplied each of us with a 500 ml bottle of water with directions that if we wanted to refill it, we had to walk to the lobby to refill it each time. Is this the service of a 4.5 star resort.

Food-
The hotel offered buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast was the best meal of the day with wonderful omelettes made to order. The lunches and dinners were boring, repetitive and many times uneatable. We were in a place where fresh fish could be caught right off the beach. The fish offered was disgusting and we couldn`t stand eating the overcooked fish FULL of bones. Same trays of fish served daily at lunch and dinner. Fresh fruit was great. There was a salad bar with basic salad ingredients. Many mixed salads were a tray of slop with chopped fish. Meat choices were slim and limited. We had turkey one evening that was very good and chicken 3 times that was quite tasty. The balance of the meals were difficult to find something that looked appétizing. There was always fresh fruit available for dessert. Small pieces of cake were offered that were tasteless and watery. One day they offered chocolate brownies.....I thought there was going to be a fist fight who would get the last piece. The brownies were the only dessert in 7 days that we enjoyed. No ice cream at all. They had en espresso machine but it was only open after breakfast and after dinner service. Never understood why it wasn`t open during breakfast service. Resort staff were allowed to eat at the same time as the guests. They would run out of food often, so why is the staff allowed to eat with the guests. Many of the Italian staff were rude and would push in front of you to get their food first. We met many kind and friendly Italians guests during our week. I've never stayed at a 4.5 star resort where the staff are allowed to help themselves to the buffet at the same time as the guests.

Bar-
There was only 1 bar available at the hotel. VERY limited choices in the ``all inclusive`` selection. Vodka, Rum, tequilla and beer. Mixes were limited to fruit juices, cola and sprite. That`s it. Bar opens late. No wine available at lunch or during the day. Wine only available at dinner and it was self serve. There was no table service at all at this resort. No after dinner drinks, specialty coffees or liquours available. Drinks were served in mini plastic cups. There were small snacks served during the day, mostly pieces of cold pizza.

Management-
During the 7 days at this resort, management of the property were non existant. The 2 managers we saw, would show up for work wearing cut off denim shorts and flip-flops. Not very classy for a 4.5 star resort.

Staff of resort-
The staff tried very hard to keep all the guests happy and deal with the many complaints from the Sunwing guests regarding the food, the management, the bar service, etc etc. Gerson, the customer service person for Media Luna was very helpful and tried to keep everyone happy. Most of the general staff or entertainers were kind and friendly but desperately needed training in customer service. The staff uniform was a t shirt and that`s it. Many of them worked in bathing suit bottoms and hot pants. They need a dress code badly. This was NOT a 4.5 star resort.

Entertainment-
There was a singer each evening at dinner. He was quite good. Each evening a different show was offered followed by disco DJ till 11 pm. The shows were very amateur and similar to a public school show. One night one of the female managers was in one of the shows. She performed a scene from Moulin Rouge constantly lifting her Can-Can skirt to show off her black bikini panties. Is this acceptable from a manager of a 4.5 star resort.....even in Roatan.

Sunwing flight-
We loved the Sunwing flight and service. The in-flight manager Heather was amazing and a great representative of great customer service. She is a definite asset to the Sunwing flight team.

Would we go back......HELL NO!

Room Tip: We had room 141, great location.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Scottflex
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Burlington, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

My daughter and I spent her reading week, last week, at Media Luna. It was our third dive trip together and so far it was the best. We had stayed at Henry Morgan before, so decided to try someplace else. We knew Media Luna was isolated, but had already "done" West End, zip-lining and some other island exploring, so isolation was not a problem for us. We went for the diving and the diving was excellent. We spent most of the week with Nelson, who the resort brought in from Fantasy Island. Jose, who was on staff was also very good, but did not have as much local knowledge of the underwater life. I agree with most of the other reviewers that while the hotel and grounds are lovely, the food is mediocre at best. We really don't drink, so can't comment on the bar. The resort was not at all crowded and considering that we paid less than we would have at Henry Morgan I felt we got very good value for the money. I am a traveller, more than a vacationer, so maybe my expectations are not quite as high as some people. Since we were diving, we missed the Sunwing briefing and never saw the rep the rest of the week. We did do a fun excursion with the hotel on our last day to the Hole in the Wall restaurant and a mangrove boat tour. Very fun. Media Luna is billed as 18+ and we did see several young teenagers there, but it was no problem for us. If diving's your thing, this is a great place!

1 Thank chuckandnance
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

This vacation in Roatan was the absolute best. The staff at the hotel is simply awsome, you will not find friendlier staff anywhere. The dive shop is A1 best staff I have ever had the pleasure of diving with. Our dive insrtructor was Marc-Antoine who was from Quebec and just just amazing, as for him and you will not be disapointed.

The food was very good and varied, dont expect "the Keg" levels of food, this is a 3rd world country!! We were in room 109 all the way at the end of the resort next to the spa with a water view. This was extremly quiet and peacefull room, we never even heard another guest while in our room or on the deck. We had an issue with the AC being weak but it was resolved within 1 hour of mentioning it to the front desk staff.

We were saluted every day by the hotel manager who was simply the best.

The Sunwing rep seemed nice but we only saw her on the bus ride from the airport.

We will surely return to this resort for some more diving.

Room Tip: room 109 is far from the pool and lobby and very quiet with ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kaptain666
Kemptville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

My husband and I and my 83 year old Mom just returned from Media Luna. We were there from Feb. 13 until Feb. 27 for 2 weeks.

First the postives, because there are many so many things we loved about this island paradise and the staff.

The staff are wonderful and do everything they can with the limited resources they have.
They treated my Mom like a queen and made sure that she was well looked after. They ensured we had a table close to the buffet for all of our meals during our entire stay.
Any requests we made were quickly addressed by the staff. Chloe on the front desk is fabulous and so was Gerson.

The resort and grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. We stayed in Cabana 150 and 148 and had the most amazing views of the ocean. The cabanas are spacious, clean and very nice.

The snorkelling was fantastic right off the resort. My husband said it is the best he has ever seen and we have travelled extensively in the Caribbean.

This resort has the potential to be fabulous but there are some issues, though it pains me to point them out.

The walkways are very uneven and difficult to walk on so it is not ideal for elderly people or anyone with mobility issues. The lighting along the walkways could be improved at night to help with visibility.

There are no phones in the room, which made it a real problem for my Mom when she had an issue with the toilet in her room. She had to walk all the way down to the front desk to get help since she couldn't call us for help. She is very independent and didn't want to bother us. Staff responded promptly once they were aware there was a problem and fixed it right away. In my opinion, not having a phone in the room is also a potential security and safety issue.

The water in the rooms is not potable and you are only given one bottle to refill during your entire stay. We all ended up having minor digestive problems until we stopped using the water to brush our teeth, and then that improved. To me, not having bottled water available is a health concern. While I recognise the environmental issues, having potable water in your room should not be limited. In any other resort we have been in we have been provided unlimited fresh bottled water in the room where the water is not potable.

The food quantity, quality and selection is very poor and limited. Food temperature was also an issue, not hot enough and uncovered fruit was often full of fruit flies. I understand that the food is not prepared on the premises and is transported from Henry Morgan Resort. We also do not go for the food but I lost 10 lbs, my Mom lost 2 lbs and my husband lost 3 lbs during the 2 week stay. We were not ill because of the food, but found the food very unappealing and repetitive. Often within 15 minutes of the restaurant being opened some of the more popular food items ran out and were not replenished. It certainly was not even close to what we have had in other resorts with a 4.5 star rating. We are also accustomed to having water, coffee and drinks brought to us at our table for meals. That was lacking and we missed that, although it was no big deal to go and get drinks ourselves. Again, it goes back to the level of service we expect for the star rating and price we paid. The problems are not insurmountable and could be easily fixed. I suspect management tries to cut corners, which is not acceptable for what we paid for this trip didn't compare to what we are accustomed to in a 4.5 star resort.

The bugs are there, they do what they can to try to fix it, but it is a tropical location and it is what it is. You need to be aware that they are there and that some people react very badly, others don't. We weren't that badly affected and thought it would be a lot worse based on reviews we read.

It would have been nice to have a coffee maker in the room to have early morning coffee. We requested one at the front desk and Chloe tried to get us one but was not able to get us one. Again, we have always had this in any other 4.5 star resort we have been to it wasn't a huge deal in the big scheme of things. It falls under one of those would have been nice to have but could live without things.

The beach is very small and we really missed sitting out on the beach and walks along the beach. The decks are lovely and there are lots of areas where you can sit but it just isn't the same as being on the beach. I don't go to sit around a pool or on a deck since I can do that at home during the summer months. I go for the beach and the vacation just didn't have the same feel to it because we weren't able to sit or walk on the beach.

We did feel that the italians were given preferential treatment, but the staff did try to make up for that in their own way. I hate to generalise, but we also found some of the italians to be very rude. We found some of them to be very loud and pushy, especially at meal times.
It seems to me a paying guest is a paying guest and all should be treated equally. We observed some added touches that the italians received that we didn't receive and felt somewhat slighted as a result.

In general, the trip was very relaxing, the weather was great and the staff and resort were wonderful.

I don't think we would go back, which deeply saddens me. If this resort were on a better beach and the food issues were resolved, I would go back in a heartbeat. In all honesty, the resort has a way to go to really deserve a 4.5 star rating. It definitely has promise and the staff does go above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable. For what we paid, we were disappointed and the resort did not meet our expectations.

All that being said, I would recommend this resort as long as you know that the resort does not live up to a 4.5 star rating, compared to other resorts we have stayed in. I think Sunwing needs to adjust the rating and the price.

Room Tip: Room 150 has a stunning ocean view!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Monique M
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I have read a lot of the other reviews, and felt that I'd offer my 2 cents, for what it's worth... (about 2 cents).

My hubby and I were at Media Luna for two weeks from Feb 13 - 27. I'm going to try to be totally honest with this review. I'm loathe to say anything negative because the staff work so, so hard to make everything perfect, but there is room for growth (which may be down to the owners more than the management... who knows?)

The Italian groups change over on Wednesday or Thursday (can't remember) so we experienced three. The first were obnoxious. Not all of them, obviously, but the bad makes a pretty strong impression. We arrived on the 13th, and on the 14th a Valentine's dinner was served outside. The Canadian group was segregated from the Italian group, which would have been fine and even kind of understandable, but the Italian people were by the one and only bar, as were the musicians. My hubby and I were standing on that side (unaware that we were unwelcome), just listening to the musicians, and one woman from the Italian group told us to leave. Emphatically. She was a coordinator of that group or something. That left a pretty bitter taste in our mouths. We were *standing*. Off to the side. Minding our own business. I had my back up because it's an all-inclusive for everyone - nowhere is there any mention that there are parts that are exclusively for the use of any particular group. I had had a few drinks, but fortunately was one or two shy of the magic quantity that brings out the she-devil that fights to the death if she feels wronged. :) We begrudgingly obliged her (and then moaned about it for a week).

In any event, the manager (I think his name is Gerson) went to great lengths for the entire two weeks to make things special for everyone. There was a special dinner later in that same week for the Canadian folks only (which I understand annoyed the Italians, who were a different group by then and were unaware of the previous week's situation... it's no-win for poor Gerson).

The Canadians also had a lovely outdoor a-la-carte night on the changeover day for the Italians the following week. They probably wouldn't have wanted to participate anyway, or at least would be annoyed by the timing, having just arrived and likely being exhausted from a LONG flight. That group was busy doing off-site trips during the days, but they mixed with the Canucks a lot more in the evenings than the previous groups, and seemed more pleasant in general. That group was from a different company than those from the first two - probably just a way better company to work for, thus happier people. :) But I digress....

Because this is a smaller resort, it's difficult to arrange "special" things for one group of guests without upsetting the others. Larger resorts with more expansive facilities (conference centres and/or wedding areas) can do it and the rest of the guests don't even notice.

Gerson is doing everything he can think of to bridge the divide. I hope he figures it out for everyone's sake.

The food: I heard a lot of complaints on that front. There was plenty to choose from, and it was all okay. The second week was noticeably better than the first - the food last week was mostly hot and appealing. The first week... I don't know how or why, but nothing was hot. Again, Gerson was aware of the problem and made it his pet project. He fixed it. However, they *must* start labeling the food. It's impossible to know what's in what dish when you can't recognize it - and even when you can there can be surprises (I've never had carrots in lasagna before...)

The drinks: As others have said, the bar was not quite as varied as at other places (pay extra for gin? Odd. Canadian Club? Crown Royal is extra, sure, but not to have cheap old CC included??) I don't know if it's particularly expensive for them to buy alcohol because it's a small island, but they could mark up the overall price by $50 per person per week and provide it. As for the wine, it would be nice if it were offered throughout the evening and not just at meals. But that which they had was fine! I'm sure it's not winning any awards, but we've had home-made swill at resorts before that was undrinkable. This was perfectly good. Again, I think they took note of the complaints and improved. Also, no shortages of anything while we were there, except for one day when there was no lemon bar mix... I lived.

The coffee bar: I don't think this existed before we went - it was THE bar as I understand it. Now the booze bar is outside on the deck and the indoor one is for cappuccinos, etc. Room for improvement here - more varieties and liqueurs could be offered - and the hours were a little unpredictable. There's room there for bistro tables or comfy chairs as well. But it's a start and I'm sure it'll evolve.

The staff were absolutely first class. All of them. Everyone friendly, helpful, polite, smiley, and not just to hound for tips - they didn't seem to expect them at all (but of course appreciated them when they got them). I didn't think anyone could top the Cuban people in terms of handling tourists, but the Roatanians (?) did it.

The deck chairs: The wooden ones by the pools have a hinge so they can bend at the knee, making it like a zero-gravity type configuration. I LOVED that. First time I've had that at a resort. Between the very quickly provided cushions and that hinge, we were comfy and set to read ALL DAY. There were *just* enough umbrellas to provide shade for everyone who seemed to want it, though I worry about what'll happen when the new cabanas are finished... perhaps a few on the beach would be nice. The beach is entirely shaded in the morning, but then entirely exposed in the afternoon.

Lucie, the Sunwing lady, suggested that we don't use the "Do Roatan" people at the front desk because she couldn't guarantee the quality of the excursions or the safety. One woman who was on one such excursion went swimming in an area where there was boat traffic and she ended up in hospital with a severely injured arm. We used the Do Roatan folks a couple of times for taxi's - they have a van and the more people, the cheaper. However, the more people, the more reliable. The driver is great - he's where he's supposed to be, when he's supposed to be there, but the boss, Spencer, let us down. They offer a daily shuttle to town for $10 per person. We booked it the night before we wanted to go, but the next morning he oversold the van (we were only two people, and another group had more people, so ... ) and we had to wait. Which we didn't mind, at first, but then he couldn't find anyone else for us because the cruise ships were in. So we waited nearly two hours. We couldn't just say, fine, give us our money back, because we needed to get into town... which brings me to:

My Biggest Complaint about Roatan! Getting money. Good God, I have NEVER been anywhere that made it so difficult. The first machine was empty. That was thought to be the only one that gives USD. We didn't want local currency because a) you need to carry a briefcase for it since you're dealing with thousands instead of hundreds, and b) you have to get the right amount out because you can't change it back. The resort does not sell cash, and the BANKS (we tried 2) wouldn't give us USD, as a cash advance with our passports. Unheard of and bizarre. In the end, the machine at the grocery store gave USD, but you had to know the secret button. You go through the motions, and when it asks you if you want 500, 1000, 1,500 or 2,000 limpera, or "other amount", select "other amount" and you get the option to withdraw USD.

I haven't mentioned the bug situation... you've read the other reviews, I'm sure. Ditto to them.

Recommendation - there aren't a great many placed to hang things to dry. The railing on the deck works, but it can get very windy and things blow off. It would be great if a retractable clothesline was provided on the deck. In any case, the hammock works, but you could bring a string so your hammock isn't covered in clothes all the time... and some clothespins.

They don't have a laundry service - fyi. We usually get clothes washed after the first week as the humidity makes even the clean ones smell a little musty. I brought travel Tide and we hand-washed. That was fine, really - the laundry service at resorts are usually quite expensive.

The star rating... this is one of the most visually appealing places I've stayed (10th trip in 11 years). They've taken full advantage of the small beach and constructed the decks to maximize the view. The cabanas are lovely. But, and it hurts me to say it, the overall experience doesn't quite deserve four and a half stars - that rating is a bit misleading. Four, maybe three and three quarters. It may get up there yet - they're trying hard - but as of yesterday, that's my feeling.

If you're considering staying at this resort, you can decide for yourself how much weight these various factors should have for you. If you've already booked, don't worry. You will have a lovely time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple