“Impossible to find. Worth the effort.”

Bertie's Creole Cuisine
Ranked #55 of 228 Restaurants in Roatan
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 13 July 2016

By way of a recommendation from a hotel staffer, we were taxied to Bertie's Creole Cuisine. The restaurant is in the Coxen Hole section of town, but there is no address that we were able to discover so you will have to rely on your driver to know about and find this place.
Bertie's is an open air, decidedly down scale sort of place that probably won't appeal to everyone. If you are like me, however, and seek out the hidden-away places that are mostly known to locals, Bertie's will delight you. Plain tables, almost no decoration, and the best creole cooking we had anywhere on the island. I ordered the lobster, which arrived with some sauteed plantains and rice and beans. This dinner, which was three succulent lobster tails, set me back US$18. My dinner companions had grilled grouper and coconut shrimp, all cheaper than my dinner.
The proprietor shared some home-made cashew wine with us, for which we were not charged. It was his treat.
We returned to our up-scale resort happy and stuffed. The whole bill, including several rounds of beer and bottled water, came to less than US$100 for the four of us.
Highly recommended.

1  Thank Tom A

Reviewed 11 July 2016 via mobile

My love and I stopped in here before heading back to the cruise ship. Device was great and my garlic coconut shrimp was delicious. Accompany them with rice and plantains and I was as happy as can be. My love was happy with his jalapeño steak. Great view and ambience. They were so kind when we had to return and ask to use their phone because we'd forgotten something in our tour guide's van. They were so awesome and chatted with us while we hung out and waited for our guide to return.
Good times!

1  Thank Elda G
Reviewed 11 May 2016 via mobile

A wonderful relaxing meal of garlic shrimp with a side of plantains, red beans and rice, and topped off with a cool Corona with lime! Great conversation with a new friend, served with a smile and grace by Wellington, and our host and cook Bertie, was a sweetheart! Another friend we met was Arick, the monkey that hangs out! Watch out, he likes hats, glasses, etc! Will definitely return to Bertie's if I ever get back to Roatan!

1  Thank Miern
Reviewed 10 May 2016

My SO and I had a delicious meal !Wellington will take care of all your culinary needs! Also don't miss Eric the monkey! Hope to return one day!

Reviewed 25 March 2016

After a tour of Roatan Island, we wanted a local lunch. I asked advice from a Guide and she recommended Bertie's. It was a great find - on the waterfront but away from the main street. Wellington greeted us and gave us a perfect table beside the sea. It's very basic, just tables and chairs on sand. I chose Garlic Shrimp and my friend chose fish. Strangely we were both given lobster with plantain, rice and beans! We didn't mind, though I suspect that we got someone else's order. It was delicious meal with beer beside the sea. I wish I could return.

1  Thank Gourmandsouth