Mayaland Adventure Travel
Review Highlights
A fun tour of some of the villages around the Lake.

Reviewed 8 February 2018
cdninasia
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
Best Investment yet

Reviewed 30 March 2017
karmenA1
MN

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 February 2018

We had a very enjoyable tour around Lake Atitlan with Pablo. He was very informative and happy to share his knowledge of not just here but also Guatemala. He went at our pace and was very accommodating. We would highly recommend.Thanks Pablo for a great day!

MayaLandTravel, Owner at Mayaland Adventure Travel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

It's been a pleasure see you next time!

Reviewed 30 March 2017

I booked Mayaland Adventure Travel/Pablo Chumil as a guide for the entire week of our Guatemalan Adventure. We were in Guatemala to accomplish several things, primarily to find my boys' birth parents and to see "real" Mayan life, not just touristy places. Pablo made our arrangements (based on my core requirements) and went above and beyond to help fulfill our mission of finding birth parents. He was even more relentless in this pursuit than I was. His persistence paid off. His knowledge of Mayan dialect, Spanish, and English was critical to our success.
Not only was Pablo on time, he was flexible when we decided to change plans due to a luggage delay and didn't ever seem irritated going off-script. On the days he personally was not available, he secured other top notch guides or drivers. He took us to Mayan villages and taught us so much about the country and culture that we would NEVER have had access to, if not for Pablo. By the end of the week, we felt like he was family. He is a kind man with a delightful sense of humor. He loved showing and telling us about the plants, culture, and the people. We really lucked out with Pablo and would highly recommend him to anyone traveling to Guatemala for a couple of days, or an entire week.
The only thing I would have done differently would have been to have a very clear understanding of what the cost included. Given my unusual request of having him with us for an entire week, we didn't really have all the incidental fees like taxis, tuktuks, meals, exhibit costs, etc. included in our discussion. I paid the fees as they were pretty nominal in the whole scheme of things, but it would be better to have them spelled out and agreed upon prior. I never felt like Pablo was scamming me, I just would prefer to know the expectations for both sides ahead of time. We would definitely call Pablo again and would highly recommend him to others, especially those who need translation services as well.

1  Thank karmenA1
Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

The tour is in a good boat. And begins in San Pedro, was ok but haven't got much to see than Panajachel. In San juan we did a guide tour, we pay a guy there, is not included in the tour, but was cheap and the guy told to us many things of the city, including 3 places where woman's of there show you how they did in the past, and now, all his clothes, tints, everything. And how do they use local plants to cure sickness and many other things. Was the best of this tour. The other 2 places, San Pedro and Santiago was regular. If u can go just to 2 places is really more interesting.

1  Thank Yago T
Reviewed 5 November 2015

I contacted this agency to inquire about getting a private driver to San Andres Xecul. Pablo offered me a good price, and to my surprise, he was actually my driver and tour guide! Pablo was a great tour guide, but overall, he was very friendly, relatable, and a nice person to chat to during our hours of driving. I will definitely contact him again on my next trip to Guatemala.

1  Thank JokoLana
Reviewed 6 January 2015

I traveled to Guatemala as a group of 22 medical students and undergrads doing research and taking Spanish classes for the summer. We were looking for a way to celebrate the 4th around Pana and Pablo helped us have the perfect day. We explained we wanted a day on the lake atitlan were we could celebrate, drink and have fun and he made sure we could do just that. For a really great price we got a large boat with speakers and he took us to spots on the lake where we could jump off rocks and the boat. We then spent a little time in San Juan where we were able to see a weaving lesson and look at the local wares before returning to the boat and celebrating the rest of the afternoon. Pablo is very friendly and profession but he was also willing to join in on the fun and jump in the water with us. He had many other recommendations of what we could do during our time here and by the end was a regular part of our large group.
Since that day we have seen Pablo around Pana almost daily and he always greets us with a smile and asks us how we are doing. We have called him with several other odd requests from spear fishing to a reserving a house that can fit 15 people with only a few days notice and he has always found a great solution for us. Plus Pablo speaks great English, which is really helpful for those in our group that are less fluent (ie me)

3  Thank Taylor H
Reviewed 30 December 2014

Our group of 13 spent 4 days on a bus touring Yucatan from Chichen Itza to the Riviera in Cancun Mexico. Juan Carlos and Feliciano were fabulous. Juan Carlos knew all about the Mayan culture, language and people. He was patient, helpful and accommodating. Feliciano was always smiling. Juan Carlos is great. Our large crowd was lucky to have him. Excellent!

Reviewed 16 November 2014

We communicated with Pablo online and met him in Antigua. He organized tours to Atitlan and Chichicastenango (which he handled himself) as well as to Tikal (separate but also good guide). Pablo is very responsible, friendly and knowledgable. Our party consisted of 2 adult couples and everyone was extremely delighted with Pablo's approach and professionalism. I recommend him highly and without any reservations. 5 star experience

1  Thank BSiliezar
Reviewed 17 June 2014

You need Pablo. Seriously, listen: you NEED Pablo. You're not fluent in Spanish and you don't understand one of the 20+ Mayan languages spoken in Guatemala. You have no idea where the best views are, no cultural knowledge and don't know where to begin navigating between villages. Pablo is exceptionally knowledgeable in all areas you'd want him to be. He's spent his life exploring the landscape; he seemingly has friends all over the country; his english is great; and his spirit truly adventurous. And that's the thing. Pablo had as much fun as we did. He genuinely loves Guatimala and heightens the adventure by taking you off road to spots you'd never find alone. He could've been to one spot a million times but he'll always see it through your eyes and as if for the first time.

Pablo is how to get the most out of your trip. He's sincere, jovial, funny and, in the end, your friend.

Pablo, thanks for everything! We we're lucky to meet you and I hope to see you again, my man.

3  Thank ashmanscoop
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Excellent helpful guide, very good trip to San Juan and Santiago and very much enjoyed the visit to Chi-tinamit.

1  Thank PPP220
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Pablo & his driver picked us up in Guatemala City & took us to Antigua. We had a walking tour of the city, lunch in a cute little restaurant, did a short truffle-making class & went out to eat dinner that night w/Pablo & his family as they were in Antigua that day. The next day we stopped at Iximche for a short tour before heading to Panajachel. We visited a village on the other side of Lake Atitlan with a fun boat ride to get there. We met friends of Pablo's that have a beautiful and informative weaving place. We also went to the Chichi market on Sunday & had a great time! The cemetery was beautiful too. I just wish we had another day or two to stay longer!
I was still recovering from a knee injury & had to be very careful to not overdo the walking , etc. and Pablo was very sensitive to my injury and even offered my his beautiful walking stick to use if I needed.
We felt part of Pablo's family by the time we left! I definitely advise that anyone contact him to be their guide whether they are doing an adventure tour, or just wanting to see the sights outside of Guatemala City!!

1  Thank love-the-mountains