“Wonderful, relaxing, in a beautiful setting” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hickatee Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Punta Gorda
Hickatee Cottages
Ranked #1 of 17 Punta Gorda B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Wonderful, relaxing, in a beautiful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012 via mobile

We stayed for two nights in the Wilby Suite and wish that we had planned to stay longer. The rooms are comfortable, with a nice sitting area. we enjoyed our meals on the outdoor large porch of the reception building. Ian and Kate are wonderful hosts and so helpful in making suggestions for interesting outings in the area. They have some special studies underway with several research groups, including one that engages the guests in helping record interactions with black howler monkeys in the area.

Stayed March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Schenectady, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at Hickatee from 3/12 thru 3/17. I stayed in the den for 3 nites and it was a clean, cute comfortable room. As I was reading about what there was to do in the Toledo district added two more nites and stayed in the one of the cottages which was very clean and comfortable as well.My experience at Hickatee was extremely positive in all ways, the lodging ,food,grounds as well my interaction with Kate and Ian and other guests.I spent most of my time on tours,Delonie from Tide Tours was very helpful in setting up three days worth of tours. I spent my first day with George on a trip to Snake Cayes he was very personable and knowledgable about the area and the plants and wildlife.I then did the Wensday tour to Lubaantun and Butterfly Farm with an awesome couple from Seattle.The only bad thing about the day was it would have been nice to talk with Santiago for a few hours instead of 15 or 20 minutes, he had a wealth of experience knowledge about Lubaantun. On Thursday and Friday Celiono from Tide Tours took me to Tiger cave and Nim Li Punit and Cyrilas Chocolate farm and the Hokeb Ha. Both these days where exceptional and Celiono was a great guide .On saturday my last day I went back out to Snake Cayes with another guide Dan and did more snorkelling and some afternoon fishing, He too was a very intellegent, personable guide.Kate and Ian are a very helpful,interesting,fun couple,they along with their support staff made my stay in Punta Gorda a memorable one.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank waterdawg60
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

but don't understand that abundance of positive comments. We really liked the location and beauty of this place, but never felt completely and utterly relaxed due to the owners odd behavior....slightly condescending and VERY contrary. We loved the cottage, however we were put off by the book of "rules" that is left for guests. The last thing we anticipated was lots of rules in a country with seemingly very few rules. Punta Gorda is a neat spot and I recommend visiting the town, but if you are looking for a friendly laid back environment, I would skip Hickatee......it just wasn't our bag.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SandBTravels
Salmo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

Hickatee review
March 1-3, 2012. An oasis of jungle beauty and peace. Wonderful morning coffee on the deck. Ian so graciously lent me his computer to email home. The rooms were so clean and had such lovely wood throughout.The named plants and backyard jungle walkways and garden greenhouses added to the appeal.The tours were so personal,individual. Cyrila's chocolate my favourite (tour) experience in all Belize. Juan's understanding of Maya sustainable farming practices and advocacy work comes a breath of fresh air, so true to our understanding and organic practices, yet deeper and more profound with his ancient Maya connection. I also loved the slow long ride through the jungle and country side out to Rio Blanco National Park. The Maya homes are immaculate and the country so untouched by modern life. It felt a tremendous priveledge to view this piece of Belize. We had the ruins of Lubaantun to ourselves.
The road out of Punta Gorda to Hickatee never seemed so long as when we did not know where we were heading, so be sure to have Ian or Kate guide you there. I can not really recommend eating in Punta Gorda as I was eaten by sand fleas at one spot and we seemed an inconvienience at another. Market days were the best face on an otherwise indifferent Punta Gorda poplace.
I truly felt like I was pampered ,as if on an African safari, by friendly knowlegeable British hosts who knew how to cook (yum) as well as direct us in to local activities. Thank you so much for your hospitality.
The 4 Wilsons from Canada

Room Tip: BOth rooms I saw were equally lovely and the double beds made for cooler sleeping with just fans run...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mount Dora, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

I couldn't have asked for a more peaceful, fun and relaxing experience. Ian and Kate are such wonderful people we were afraid of becoming the "pestering couple" but they are truly a joy to be around. Ian's passion for bugs and plants is infectious. Sitting on the porch drinking Ian's rum punch and listening to bats pass by on some ultrasound gizmo will be with me until the day I die. Follow that with Kate's fantastic cooking and you will not want to leave. Let me put it this way. My wife and I stayed at Hickatee one night and the following day we were going to stay at an all inclusive "Tree Lodge" for the next four nights. Once we arrived at the lodge it did not take us long to realize our mistake. We arranged the first possible trip back to Hickatee throwing 4 nights,16 meals and 2 tours of our money away on the lodge and we couldn't have been happier with our decision. Hickatee's prices are extremely fair from the cottages to the drinks and meals. Ian and Kate have a wealth of local knowledge and they really take care of their guest educating you on what to expect to pay for cabs, tours, tips and such. You are on your own for lunch and plan on entertaining yourself between 12-5pm or so. Don't miss Wed. night drumming with Ray, the butterfly farm, the on-site nature trails, Asha's for dinner, Kate's cooking and of course make Ian get out the bat gizmo. When we were leaving in the airport and I see my wife give Ian a hug goodbye and us realizing that we were truly going to miss those two, that speaks volumes. Ask yourself, when is the last time you felt like that going home from vacation? Thank you Ian and Kate.

Room Tip: Rooms very clean, light and airy.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2.6 km away
Coral House
Coral House
#2 of 17 in Punta Gorda

Been to Hickatee Cottages? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK