“One of the Best Resorts in Belize”

Turneffe Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Turneffe Island
Reviewed 27 August 2011

The BEWARE review below is misleading; the "mutiny" was just that some of the staff were concerned about an approaching storm and as to when a separate boat was coming to take them to Belize City. Our boat was delayed about a half hour while the staff was reassured (and agreed to wait on the island for their transport) and the trip to the mainland proceeded uneventfully for the guests. I find it hard to understand the issue of staff and outdoor shower; we had no such problem and were housed in a cottage next to the reviewer below.

We visited Turneffe years ago and it was then a good resort; there have been changes and it is now a GREAT resort. The addition of the beach bar, pool, and air conditioning in the dining room are welcome. The cooking is creative, varied and delicious. The managers, Nick and Vanda, have that rare combination of welcoming warmth and efficient organization. The dive masters are all very safety conscious and very skilled at finding creatures large and small. The staff were uniformly gracious and anxious to make our stay as pleasant as possible. We have traveled to Belize many times over the years, and stayed at a variety of resorts; Turneffe gets our highest marks.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank CatLadyMindy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Turneffe Island Resort

Reviewed 26 August 2011

I saw the review of this place titled BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE and felt I had to respond. I was there during the same week and had a totally different experience. We had fantastic, downright magical dives the whole week despite less than stellar visibility. Our cabana was excellent. The service was fantastic. The food was great. Most of the guests I talked to said the place was a ten out of ten. It ain't cheap but it sure is great.

All the rooms have an outdoor shower which is awesome, especially useful for divers. In his review Robert describes a peeping incident that certainly is disturbing. I'm sorry he and his wife had this experience. I guess the set up of Robert's outdoor shower was quite different than the one in our cabana as peeping simply wouldn't have been possible in our situation.

Now, regarding the mutiny Robert mentions, it did happen although the word mutiny makes it sound like a violent uprising. The full extent of it was this: a storm was coming and the managers wanted to evacuate the guests. The staff boarded the boat along with the guests, putting the headcount above the recommended limit, and refused to get off until they were certain a different boat would arrive for them. At no time did I feel in any danger or any kind of threat. We hadn't left the dock, the storm was still a good distance away, and the same staff who wouldn't get off the boat were really quite jovial. What DID disturb me was that the staff had so little faith management would provide for their well being. Also, the whole thing could have gone unnoticed by the guests had management responded more diplomatically.

Still, this is a terrific place with great diving. I'm a fan of big animals. We saw turtles, ray, sharks, and once a dolphin. I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you can manage the cost of a cabana, they really are special
4  Thank Frank D
Reviewed 23 August 2011

In early Aug. my son and I visited the Turneffe Island Resort along with some friends for a week of fishing. It met or exceeded our ecpectations. located on a 14 acre private island, you really get a sense of a tropical paradise. During our visit there were only about 20 guests-- half od them were divers/snorkelers, and the other half was our our 8 man fishing party. If it was fully booked there would still only be about 45 people. Accomadations are not luxurious, but very comfortable. Rooms are air-conditioned and all include a cool outside shower (there's and inside one, too). Meals are all family style, and the food is very good and plenitful. The kitchen was kind enough to even cook a lot of the fish we caught every evening. The outside bar is a lively place to spend time and the bartender, George, regaled us with a variety of tricks every night. They have a samll pool located near the outside bar and a lovely beach area. The grounds are raked every day and you can tell that maintenece is a priority. Staff is very friendly, and the fishing guides were excellent. We went snorkeling one day to the "Blue Hole" ( a famous dive spot), and that was amazing. The divemasters seemed to be outstanding also. As for the fishing, ti started a bit slow because of some weather issues, but it got better as the week wore on. We caught bonefish, permit (wow!!), tarpon, barracuda, snapper, grouper, spanish mackeral, king mackeral, trigger fish, and about anything else we wanted. I highly recommned this place to anyone who wants to get away from it all. There are no TV's and cell phones don't work here, but you can always go the office where they have a phone, and a computer. Only downside is that it takes all day to get there. It;s 30-some miles off the coast of Belize so it's an hour and half boat ride from Belize City (which is a dump), and it takes a while to get to Belize City. It's all worth it, though. If you like to fish, dive or just chill out in a laid back atmosphere, this the place.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the cabanas
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank jcmoulton
Reviewed 22 August 2011

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE!! My Wife and I just came back from Belize and spent a week at Turneffe Island Resort. Although the reviews we read were great, our experience was HORRIFYING. Two days into our trip I caught a member of the staff peeping into our outside shower watching my wife. He ran off so I could not identify the culprit as he ducked into the forest and ran to the staff housing before I could see his face. It took two requests to make the area under our Cabana secure to prevent this from happening again.
Lastly at our departure due to a storm coming in the staff committed mutiny. They took over the boat we were to leave on and refused to leave, which made it dangerously over weighted. Additionally the staff started taking the life jackets. Only when I myself stepped in did the staff return the life vests. Finally after more than an hour on the boat with management and the staff trying to negotiate a treaty (with the encouragement from me and the rest of the guests) the staff agreed to get off the boat) did we get on or way back to the mainland. Our trip which was very expensive was one of the worst we have ever had and we will never go back. I highly suggest that no one go to Turneffe Island Resort.

41  Thank robert n
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Turneffe Island is a true paradise!!!! The whole trip was amazing!!! We were kinda skeptical on staying on a private island because we were so used to traffic, hotels everywhere BUT we LOVED it and will be back in the near future. We are already planning the trip for next year! Diving was GREAT, staff was so friendly, food was fantastic, our cabana couldnt have been any better, the beach was so beautiful! We had one of the most relaxing trips we had ever had! Brad, our dive master was one of the best and we have been to many places diving. I highly recommend Brad if you are going to Turneffe Island for a diving trip. We felt so comfortable diving with him and he was so knowledgeable about the places he took us. Food was to die for, all food was fresh specially the seafood. You can drink the water at the resort, they filtler there own water! The island is so quiet, there were only 19 people on the island at that time and i have to admit it was GREAT! I give Turneffe Island 5 stars by far! Hope to be there next year for another AMAZING trip!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front! We stayed in one of their cabanas (room C6) and it was so amazing!!
1  Thank amandamathis
#16 of 32 in San Pedro
Tree Tops Guesthouse
Tree Tops Guesthouse
#9 of 32 in Caye Caulker

Been to Turneffe Island Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK