US$ 197
Bachelor Inn(Belize City)
Book now, pay at stay
US$ 61
US$ 43
Anchorage Resort Hotel Belize City(Caye Caulker)(Great Value!)
US$ 98
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
Anchorage Beach Resort(Caye Caulker)(Great Value!)
US$ 98
US$ 89
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$ 175
US$ 169
  • Pool
Popeyes Beach Resort(Caye Caulker)
US$ 59
  • Beachfront
Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel(Caye Caulker)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$ 73
US$ 69
All reviewsoutdoor showerevery morningdive sitesother guestsdive masterthe managersfamily styleblue holefishhot chocolatebeansbelize cityprivate villaboat captaincoffee servicecoffee deliveredevery meal
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I saw the review of this place titled BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE and felt I had to respond. I was there during the same week and had a totally different experience. We had fantastic, downright magical dives the whole week despite less than stellar visibility. Our cabana was excellent. The service was fantastic. The food was great. Most of the guests I talked to said the place was a ten out of ten. It ain't cheap but it sure is great.

All the rooms have an outdoor shower which is awesome, especially useful for divers. In his review Robert describes a peeping incident that certainly is disturbing. I'm sorry he and his wife had this experience. I guess the set up of Robert's outdoor shower was quite different than the one in our cabana as peeping simply wouldn't have been possible in our situation.

Now, regarding the mutiny Robert mentions, it did happen although the word mutiny makes it sound like a violent uprising. The full extent of it was this: a storm was coming and the managers wanted to evacuate the guests. The staff boarded the boat along with the guests, putting the headcount above the recommended limit, and refused to get off until they were certain a different boat would arrive for them. At no time did I feel in any danger or any kind of threat. We hadn't left the dock, the storm was still a good distance away, and the same staff who wouldn't get off the boat were really quite jovial. What DID disturb me was that the staff had so little faith management would provide for their well being. Also, the whole thing could have gone unnoticed by the guests had management responded more diplomatically.

Still, this is a terrific place with great diving. I'm a fan of big animals. We saw turtles, ray, sharks, and once a dolphin. I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you can manage the cost of a cabana, they really are special
4  Thank Frank D
Reviewed 23 August 2011

In early Aug. my son and I visited the Turneffe Island Resort along with some friends for a week of fishing. It met or exceeded our ecpectations. located on a 14 acre private island, you really get a sense of a tropical paradise. During our visit there were only about 20 guests-- half od them were divers/snorkelers, and the other half was our our 8 man fishing party. If it was fully booked there would still only be about 45 people. Accomadations are not luxurious, but very comfortable. Rooms are air-conditioned and all include a cool outside shower (there's and inside one, too). Meals are all family style, and the food is very good and plenitful. The kitchen was kind enough to even cook a lot of the fish we caught every evening. The outside bar is a lively place to spend time and the bartender, George, regaled us with a variety of tricks every night. They have a samll pool located near the outside bar and a lovely beach area. The grounds are raked every day and you can tell that maintenece is a priority. Staff is very friendly, and the fishing guides were excellent. We went snorkeling one day to the "Blue Hole" ( a famous dive spot), and that was amazing. The divemasters seemed to be outstanding also. As for the fishing, ti started a bit slow because of some weather issues, but it got better as the week wore on. We caught bonefish, permit (wow!!), tarpon, barracuda, snapper, grouper, spanish mackeral, king mackeral, trigger fish, and about anything else we wanted. I highly recommned this place to anyone who wants to get away from it all. There are no TV's and cell phones don't work here, but you can always go the office where they have a phone, and a computer. Only downside is that it takes all day to get there. It;s 30-some miles off the coast of Belize so it's an hour and half boat ride from Belize City (which is a dump), and it takes a while to get to Belize City. It's all worth it, though. If you like to fish, dive or just chill out in a laid back atmosphere, this the place.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the cabanas
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank jcmoulton
Reviewed 22 August 2011

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE!! My Wife and I just came back from Belize and spent a week at Turneffe Island Resort. Although the reviews we read were great, our experience was HORRIFYING. Two days into our trip I caught a member of the staff peeping into our outside shower watching my wife. He ran off so I could not identify the culprit as he ducked into the forest and ran to the staff housing before I could see his face. It took two requests to make the area under our Cabana secure to prevent this from happening again.
Lastly at our departure due to a storm coming in the staff committed mutiny. They took over the boat we were to leave on and refused to leave, which made it dangerously over weighted. Additionally the staff started taking the life jackets. Only when I myself stepped in did the staff return the life vests. Finally after more than an hour on the boat with management and the staff trying to negotiate a treaty (with the encouragement from me and the rest of the guests) the staff agreed to get off the boat) did we get on or way back to the mainland. Our trip which was very expensive was one of the worst we have ever had and we will never go back. I highly suggest that no one go to Turneffe Island Resort.

47  Thank robert n
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Turneffe Island is a true paradise!!!! The whole trip was amazing!!! We were kinda skeptical on staying on a private island because we were so used to traffic, hotels everywhere BUT we LOVED it and will be back in the near future. We are already planning the trip for next year! Diving was GREAT, staff was so friendly, food was fantastic, our cabana couldnt have been any better, the beach was so beautiful! We had one of the most relaxing trips we had ever had! Brad, our dive master was one of the best and we have been to many places diving. I highly recommend Brad if you are going to Turneffe Island for a diving trip. We felt so comfortable diving with him and he was so knowledgeable about the places he took us. Food was to die for, all food was fresh specially the seafood. You can drink the water at the resort, they filtler there own water! The island is so quiet, there were only 19 people on the island at that time and i have to admit it was GREAT! I give Turneffe Island 5 stars by far! Hope to be there next year for another AMAZING trip!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front! We stayed in one of their cabanas (room C6) and it was so amazing!!
1  Thank amandamathis
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I'm writing this review from the POV of a diver.

When my husband and I were researching places to stay in Belize for our honeymoon and diving, Turneffe Island Resort was at the bottom of my list. Sure, it was a secluded island, but community dining? Family style meals? No romantic restaurants to go to on our honeymoon?

Well, I'm happy to say that the staff, facility and people of Belize completely knocked my socks off! You are greeted at the dock in Belize City by the extremely friendly and bubbly manager, Vanda (at least in our case). Getting on the Miss Bella to take you the 1 1/2 hr trip to the Turneffe islands. Greeted by your fellow guest-mates and a very large rum punch served up by the amazing Jorge, and your trip begins. Arriving on the island, you're yet again happily greeted by the island staff and the two "guard" dogs, Cashew and Gater. Everyone is genuinely happy to see you and glad you're there. We were secluded on this island with a total of 21 guests and a group of staff. It was AMAZING.

A short walk down the beach, led by Eddie, and you're shown to your room. We opted for one of the private cabanas, it was afterall our honeymoon and my one stipulation to the "sacrifice" I made with agreeing to Turneffe. The private cabana was absolutely adorable! And we basically had an entire stretch of beach all to ourselves. No fighting for a beach chair, or the best view, b/c it was all ours and there was no bad view. The outdoor shower, which at first I was skeptical of (hard to believe, I know) ended up being the ONLY shower we used. It was so refreshing, and though technically outside, completely enclosed with netting so no bugs could get in. The bed was comfortable, and there was a very large vanity and closet for us as well - though your only wardrobe is basically a swim suit all week.

So off to our first community dinner, the part I was dreading the most. I'm a pretty picky eater, so I was worried the offered menu wasn't going to be to my liking, and being we didn't know any of the other guest but had to sit and make dinner conversation, I was not exactly looking forward to it. However, the dinner was superb (i'm not a fan of seafood, and the dinner was snapper - that's how good the food was) and the conversation even better. It was SO interesting getting to know these fellow guests: where the come from, what they do, how and why they chose TIR, diver or fisher, etc. Jorge - or better referred to as George on the island - made sure to bring you a glass of wine or cold Belekin beer to enjoy with your dinner. After a decadent dessert - which is served after each meal save breakfast - and just a bit more conversation we tucked in for the night to get ready for our first dive adventure.

My favorite part - each morning began with your choice of coffee, tea or hot chocolate brought to your porch in a caraffe to enjoy as the sun rose before breakfast. Then we head to breakfast at 7:30, with a variety of choices and quite amazing egg options, then off to the boat for some diving. Marcel, our dive guide, and Brad, our boat captain, were awesome. Friendly, informative, super safe (maybe too safe) and extremely warm, they made our 15 dives for the week really the best we've ever had.

The Blue Hole day, which you'll learn there isn't much to see, was actually the high light of the diving. It's really cool to experience the Blue Hole, but the two dives afterward were utterly breathtaking. Plus it was a full day trip off the island, including a beach lunch on Half Moon Caye and sightings of the Red Footed Booby Bird.

The rest of the trip went ahead this way - sunrise coffee, delicious breakfast, diving, yummy lunch, diving, relaxation, a cocktail or two, delectable dinner, perhaps a night dive, bed time with warm memories of the day.

The last night they had such a fun beach BBQ and surprises in store. It was more of a party night since the majority of the island was leaving the next day. Their motto "Come as strangers, leave as friends" is absolutely true, and I can't more recommend Turneffe Island Resort if I tried!

Thanks Turneffe Island Resort!
Alaina & Greg

A few tips - BRING BUG SPRAY. The trade off for the calmer water is A LOT of mosquitos. Also, if you're not one to like sitting on an hour + boat ride to your dive sites, this is the place for you. Each dive site is no more than 10-15 minutes away, save the Blue Hole day. Also, I highly recommend staying there when Nick and Vanda are on the island managing. Of course, I'm biased, but they were awesome. And George, the bartender - haven't met a cooler bartender in all my years.

Room Tip: We stayed in C6, pretty much a perfect view, slightly more secluded than all other rooms, if that's important to you.
6  Thank Incognina2