All reviews tiki hut the owner lock box oceanfront room busy part free bikes lounge chairs minute walk ocean front private pier drinking water laid back ac worked well living room shower head beach towels the air conditioning
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I stayed at Barefoot by myself at the Oceanic Cottage for two weeks and highly recommend it! Caye Caulker is a fantastic place to get away from everything and Barefoot Beach was a big part of that. Ashley was great, took great care of me and was extremely personable. It was great to get to know the staff! After spending two weeks on the island and seeing other places to stay, Barefoot was one of the best on the island. I will be back...and as soon as I can!!!

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank bdpellarin
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We loved the place ever since we found it on a website, but it gets even better when you get there. Seemed to us that it has the best location in the island, very nice dock, quiet and Ashley was very helpful and welcoming at all times. We got the ocean front suite, great room, very comfortable. It feels nice to go into some AC and fresh room after being in the scorching heat of Belize.

I would highly recommend this place. Not to mention that the rates are not sky high for the quality you get. Personally we loved the "pay up front system", because it gives you the chance to relax knowing that your bill is over with. All in all, our experience was excellent. Some other reviews say that there's no real swimming beach there, but reality is, there's no real swimming beach almost all over Caye Caulker. As I said before, to us, this place seems to have one of the best locations there.

Armando and Ida.
Norway

Room tip: Ocean front suite is very nice.
Date of stay: July 2012
2  Thank armando z
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Well, first of all, it was a little far from the center of town at least a 15 minute walk to any food, drinks, etc. Of course, there was an equipped kitchen but island prices were outrageous making it cheaper to eat out. Also, it just felt damp no matter how much we ran the AC. For the price it was okay but it wouldn't be my choice the next time.

1  Thank circusgurl
Reviewed 14 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in late May. From the time we landed on the water taxi pier, our stay was easy breezy! The golf-cart taxi ($5 American for two people) took us right to Susan's (as they called it), and explained a bit of the layout of the island on the way. Really, though, you can walk there in less than ten minutes down the beach front from the shuttle landing. At first, we were worried about carrying our bags through the streets, but as we got to know the place we decided that was an unfounded fear. We only used a taxi on the way out because it was pouring rain when we left!

When we got to Barefoot Beach, Ashley checked us in and was polite and knowledgeable when she showed us the room. The room was the one with the sea view patio, and while it wasn't huge, it had a closet rack and storage, a table, and a mini fridge, so it was very functional. The room smelled a bit like the water in Belize. Not great, but unavoidable. Once we got the AC turned on (a very welcome convenience!) the smelled dissipated. Honestly, we spent very little time in the room, anyway! The bed was firm, but comfortable, and the bathroom was clean and simple and Ashley came in to clean everyday.

In reference to some people's remarks about how they never saw Susan or were ignored by Ashley, we didn't have this experience at all! Every time we ran into Ashley, she'd ask how our day or excursion was. If I'm not mistaken, Susan lives upstairs and we held several brief conversations with her both midweek and when we were checking out. We found her very pleasant and down to earth.

There are definitely cheaper places to stay on the island, but I'm not sure if we'll consider those next time. This location was so quiet and the walk to the middle of town (down front street, cut through the tiny cemetery to middle street, and you're there) is hardly a hike. Five minutes at most. The other places we had considered seemed to have people in front of them ALL of the time. We are already itching to get back to this beautiful island and we'll definitely consider staying here again! TIP: Bring a small pen light or flashlight for walking to and from town at night. It's safe, but very dark!

Room tip: Ours was technically a back room, but we had our own chairs, a sea view, and a hammock! Can't go wrong with any room here!
3  Thank FishGalv
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Though there are many worse places to stay on Caye Caulker, this place really needs some work. Furniture, furnishings and equipment are old, unclean and really just kind of gross to both have to look at and use. Bathroom is subpar. No real swimming beach here, and while the hammocks on the dock are decent enough, I think other reviews were a bit gratuitous with compliments about them.

Must pay up front before the stay and I'm sure its because they think you will run and find a better place should you see the room first. I regret not paying the extra $10/night to stay in a much cleaner and updated place.

Room tip: You really could just ask hotels on the island to show you a room and book it once you arrive if you have the flexibility.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo