All reviews scuba school microwave and fridge golf cart in town sea grass diving shop the cottages air conditioning cable tv separate bedroom the wi fi snorkeling tours rent bikes beautiful pool water pressure office staff downtown san pedro
Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

Far away from the madding crowds of town, is this gem. This made our vacation. We spent hours at the beautiful pool and made wonderful memories here.

Pros:
- private- there was only 5 huts occupied when we went.
- beautiful little houses
- excellent service. Always someone around to help us
- massive pool
- no crowds
- ocean front
- golf cart rental available

Cons: ( not for us, just in general)
- solid hour walk from town
- not lots close by to eat at
- the bathroom in the little huts do not have ceilings, so basically a wall separates you from your roomates
- non-swimmable beach. This is the case all over the eastern side of San Pedro though. There’s a lot of sea grass (albeit seasonal) but even then the beach itself is a bit rocky and not soft sand.
- one restaurant on the property- so this is not like an all inclusive if anyone is expecting that. We only had breakfast there.

My advice: stay here, rent a golf cart for the entirety of your stay and just zip around the island. Or call a super cheap cab to take you into town. We did this and it worked out well. Just required some planning around meal times. There are a couple restaurants near by that are about a 15 minute walk, but I’d much rather go into town and have street food!

Thankyou to the staff for everything, and for making this place seem like home. Can’t wait to go back someday.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Jenny S, Public Relations Manager at Royal Caribbean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

Thank you so much for this review.

We make sure to give our guests a good time and a homey vacation. Seeing that you enjoyed your stay so much shows us that the staff is really doing a good job.

I'd like mention that there is a new bar-restaurant with wonderfully sandy beaches and access to swimming in the ocean about two minute south from the resort. It is called SOUTH BEACH.

Thanks again for the wonderful review!

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Nice cabins with microwave and fridge. Although it is hard to find food to cook on the island. Maybe I’m just picky but I found grocery stores very disappointing. Bed was comfortable. Wifi worked ok not great. We enjoyed the resort because it was quiet. Away from the hustle and bustle of the main part of island

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patfoster2009
Jenny S, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Caribbean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Thank you for the positive reply, we appreciate the recognition.
Our staff works hard to give the guests a warm welcome.

Reviewed 22 April 2018

The Royal Caribbean Resort was decent. There are improvements that need to be made which I will go into shortly, but, overall, the staff (specifically, the maids, bartender, and the tour guide for Tuff E Nuff) were very friendly and respectful. The other staff were nice as well, however I am pretty sure we were being lied to with regards to the specific questions that we were asking. The one con that the resort did not provide was a beach. During this time of the year, there was a lot of sea grass that makes it way toward the beach making it impossible to swim on the beach without getting covered in sea grass (which also smells like rotten eggs when it decomposes). While we were staying at the Resort, the Resort was in the process of building a retaining wall to prevent the water from coming up onshore. So, there is no beach access, at least, during this time of the year. There is a dock that you can walk up on but it is covered in the poop from the seagulls. There is a beach that, from what I hear, does not have the sea grass. It is called Secret Beach and is about 10 miles north of San Pedro. I have heard that it is a trek to get there, however. I also heard that it is not actually worth going as it is just a regular beach with no activities.

The cabana’s, themselves, were very nice. I liked how the cabana’s came with a microwave and a mini fridge. The cabana’s also came with a water boiler and a toaster. The beds were comfortable and the cabana’s had a small living room area with a TV. The bathrooms were decent as well but the water pressure was terrible. When asked about it, we were originally told that it was because the water tower was under maintenance. However, we later learned that the water actually comes from a well. We didn’t like how we were not told the truth, regardless of the water pressure. The bathroom did come with, I believe, two bars of soap. There was no shampoo, conditioner, or shower caps available. The reception area does provide a hair dryer is asked and beach towels (which were free). Apparently, you can also ask for a hot plate with a pan, but that is not known and thus if you do not know, how can you ask for it? Also, there is no phone in the room and so if you have to make a call or if there is an emergency, you have to go to the receptionist office which is at the entrance to the resort. Moreover, if there is an emergency after hours, since the receptionist office closes at 7pm, you have to go to the cabin where the staff stay which is across from the receptionist office.

There is free Wi-Fi at the resort. Please note that it is not as strong as what we have here in the US. Different areas of the resort has different Wi-Fi passwords offering different strengths for signal which are area specific.

We also lost power one night; I cannot remember which day. Nonetheless, when there is no power, there is also no water due to the system being run via water well. The water pressure, at night, is also very low to non-existent and so if you are looking to wash your hands or take a shower, after midnight, but before around 4am, you will have no such luck. Another item to mention is that it appears that the resort will charge a penalty if the key that controls the lock for the A/C is taken off the key ring that is attached to the key for the room. It seems that by doing this, it makes sure that the A/C is not left on when no one is in the room. Thus, as it seems, among other similar rules, the resort is trying to be environmentally conscious.

The Resort grounds were maintained. However, there was an area behind the pool that looked like a construction site. The pool was nice, but it was hard to tell how the pool was cleaned. There were birds drinking from the pool and so it could not have been chlorine water or salt water. So, it was either water from the well or rain water. My dad said that he saw one of the maintenance staff add salt to the water so when you walk into the pool, you can feel the grittiness on the bottom of your feet. Also, due to the fact that the water is turned off between the hours of midnight and 4am, people who want to clean up after being in town all night, reportedly use the pool to do so. Moreover, you will only see tourists using the pool. Through talking with people, we had heard that the locals know to not use the pool (Sunday in family day and so family members of the staff members are able to use the pool if they want to on Sunday).

The resort is able to provide youth with bike and golf kart rentals. The bikes rent for $9US per day while the golf karts rent for about $50US per day. Given the distance from the resort to the center of town, and the size of the town, it may not make sense to rent the bike for the entire day, but that is a personal choice. Being able to rent the bike, for an hourly rate, may be better. In fact, having the resort include bike rental in its prices would be even better given that the resort does not offer complimentary food such as breakfast. Also, the food available at the bar is really expensive. Renting a golf kart for the day seems reasonable as most people relay on golf karts to get around the island, if they are not biking or walking. The streets are cobblestone streets and can be narrow. My mother and I also shopped around for pricing regarding the rental of a golf kart and found the cheapest to be around $45US per day. It is very important to remember that negotiating is possible on the island for the majority of items being rented or sold.

Other than that, the resort did compliment us on the two bikes that my mother and I rented for one day. I am not sure why they did complement us for the use of the bikes, since we did not complain about much. Nonetheless, it was nice that they did. Also, from what I read on TripAdvisor, the hotel offers a 10% discount for repeat guests. Would my family and I stay here again? Sure, since it was decent, but there may be other, more cost effective hotels in the surrounding area.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank WanderingExplorer33
Reviewed 14 April 2018

I loved staying here. The staff are so gracious and hospitable. Jorge at the front desk is so happy to help with any questions and helping to make your stay the best ever. The rooms are spotless. Marci, one of the housekeepers, has a heart of gold,and let me know from day one that she was willing to help in any way possible. And the bartenders! Max and Nayir schooled me in dominoes - my first times playing - many laughs and good times with these guys! Brandon, from Tuff E Nuff tours is on site, and me me find snorkeling tours with great guides that gave me superb adventures! I have so many wonderful memories to take back

Another plus, free internet!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Cathy L
Jenny S, Public Relations Manager at Royal Caribbean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2018

Thank you for such a wonderful review.
Royal Caribben Resort's first priority is our guests positive experience, we do our utmost to make sure this is the case and are extremely happy when guests receive this best treatment!

Reviewed 13 April 2018

Perfect place for me to stay. The little cabanas were very clean and had all the basics. I liked the fact that there were 40 cabanas and only about one forth of them were occupied. I sometimes felt I was there alone. The bar/ restaurant were excellent, bar tender offered good company, good drinks and food. There was a dock on sight I swam in the ocean daily, there were steps to ensure an easy entry. The hotel grounds were very well kept and beautiful. Easy to get to town and away from the buzz of golf carts in town. Do not stay in town if you want quiet! It is very noisy, i really appreciate the peace and quiet this resort offered. There are a few restaurants in the area (walking distance) that were excellent. My only complaint is I could not snorkel in the immediate area. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay!

Room Tip: Rent a bike! Great way to see the island and you go about the same speed as golf cart!
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Jenny S, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Caribbean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2018

Thank you for your great review.
Royal Caribbean Resort always puts it's guests first and try to show them a good time. We are so glad to hear that all the staff was so good to you.
Please come again and enjoy the 10% discount we give to our return guests.