1,360 results
All reviews nature walk ambergris caye full kitchen golf cart heated pool lil alphonse our honeymoon grocery store hermit crabs cinnamon rolls free bikes fish dinner reservations bedroom suite cave tubing swimming area paddle boards
Reviewed 7 August 2008

Celebrating an anniversary, my wife and I chose to spend a week in Ambergris Caye staying at Xanadu Island Resort.

Arrival/Check-In
Our flight into Belize City came in late due to a 2 hour departure delay out of Dallas. As such, our arrival to Xanadu on Ambergris Caye came after office hours for the resort. Still, the resort staff was prepared for our arrival and were there to greet us, take our bags and get us to our rooms, accommodating us and postponing check-in for the following morning.

Our Accommodations
Our room was nice, clean, modern and spacious. There was a large modern kitchen allowing us to prepare our own meals. There were only 2 of us staying here however our unit also had a loft area upstairs with its own bathroom and ac unit – enough for 2 more people. As far as I know, all units with the exception of 1 are at least this size (or bigger) throughout the resort. We had a nice view of the lagoon from our private patio which was however, a bit obstructed from inside the unit. No worries though – we are on vacation!

It was nice to have a safe that was included (free) with the accommodation. The television was small and somewhat dated however, the full cable channel lineup made up for it. I believe somewhere around 40+ American TV channels were accessible – everything from ESPN to MTV.

Hotel Amenities
The resort units were more like individual condos and as such, the complex itself is not laid out like a traditional hotel. There is no restaurant, no bar, no gym and no business center but we knew that going in. There were laundry facilities however, and a nice clean pool. The resort provided bicycles, kayaks and snorkeling equipment free of charge and like other resorts on AC, Xanadu has its own boat dock with its own man-made reef.

Staff Service
The staff here was great. They were friendly, attentive and helpful when needed yet at the same time respectful of your privacy. All of the tours the island offers can be booked directly from the front desk and the staff was very knowledgeable about the tours, operators and excursions offered in addition to being accommodating of any schedule changes.

Final Thoughts
Would I stay here again? Sure. However, next time I’m in AC I might try staying somewhere closer to the heart of San Pedro only to be closer to more dining options. Overall however, Xanadu is a nice, clean place to stay on the island.

Date of stay: June 2008
1  Thank PolynesianPop
Reviewed 6 August 2008

It's been a few months since my stay at Xanadu and it still brings a smile to my face thinking about the trip. The place is beautiful, the owners/staff are wonderful. Everyone that works there is on top of it all, yet never too intrusive with their service. They are there to offer assistance with anything including booking tours and I felt as if they knew which tour guide would suit us best and made sure to personalize everything.

The resort was designed to maintain the natural beauty of the island while making it comfortable and relaxing as well. The rooms were a pleasant surprise, the pictures on their website do not do them justice.

I really didn't want to post a review because I don't want to let everyone know how fabulous it is, but I got over being selfish :)

Date of stay: May 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank full_passp0rt
Reviewed 23 July 2008

Small, private, and very charming. Loved the ambience and attention to detail. Sits way back from the road and all rooms face the lagoon/ocean. Every 'room' is a condo with full-kitchen - grocery stores are within walking distance. We stayed in a loft unit with a king bed and full bath upstairs and a queen bed with full bath on the main level. Spiral staircase leads up to the upper level. Even when they say that your room will have a 'pool' or 'garden view,' you can still sit on your porch/lanai and see the ocean!

Air-conditioned, cable TV, and WiFi or ethernet Internet connections free of charge. White sand beach. Long boat dock with cabana at the end. Swimming pool. Lush flora and fauna abound. The staff can schedule any activity you want - we chose diving and were picked-up by boat and returned at the end of their dock each day. Also owns golf cart rental company - great deals! Will go back!!!

Date of stay: May 2008
3  Thank bearina
Reviewed 16 July 2008

We relied on Tripadvisor reviews in choosing Xanadu. they hit it on the mark. Xanadu has a great location (about 0.5 miles south of town) and a relaxed tropical feel. The staff is very helpful in setting up activities on the fly such as snorkeling (go with their recommended guides). It was the best snorkling I have done, hands down.

We had Unit #6 which is a 2nd floor loft suite. I highly recommend this room. It was clean, spacious, clean, well laid-out kitchen. we cooked a lot and had everything we needed. I always pack my own spices and snacks, etc. I went fishing and Xanadu arranged for a great groundskeeper clean them for me (with a machete) and then let me use their great Weber grill and built in cabana on the beach to have our own beach bar-b-que.

The pool is a bit small but adequate for the number of guests that stay at Xanadu. It was cool and refreshing and always clean.

The activity desk is great for cheap Belikin beer, bicycles (which I recommend for taking to town at least a few times)

My only wich was that the office stayed open later than 6pm. this is because many things revolve around this, e.g., bikes are due back by 5pm, laundry key needs to be back by 6, etc.

Date of stay: July 2008
1  Thank dsmoothe
Reviewed 14 July 2008

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences and I encourage you to view hotels I have stayed at and their respective reviews (by clicking on my name).

LOCATION: Good, not great. I would have preferred it to be a little bit closer to town. It’s about a 20 minute walk but at night it’s advised to take a 5 minute, US$5 taxi for safety reasons.

BEST WAY TO GET THERE: Flight from the Belize Municipal Airport should cost US$35 and about double from the International Airport. Taxi from airport to Xanadu takes about 5 minutes and is included in the room rate.

TYPE OF ROOM:

Room 15 (bedroom with loft) & Room 10 (2 bedrooms oceanfront).

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: The bed was soft and adequate. The sheets were also soft but short of luxurious. The pillows are perfect if you like them on the thin side but are not down.

LIGHTING: Tons of lights in the room but the switches are difficult to find.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Bathroom isn’t gorgeous but everything worked fine. The shower pressure in room 15 was on the weak side but quite strong in room 10. Water temperature could get hot if desired. Room towels were a bit more like pool towels in quality.

TOILETRIES: Shampoo and soap are in push button containers located on the shower wall. May be best to bring your own.

CLEANLINESS: The entire property is exceptionally clean with a few minor stains on the curtains.

A/C: Quickly would get the room cool. A bit on the loud side.

CLOSET SPACE: Above average closet space.

STYLE OF ROOM: Very basic but comfortable.

QUIET/MORNING LIGHT: The rooms were very quiet. Curtains didn’t adequately block the morning light.

FOOD: There is no restaurant on the property.

TV/INTERNET: There is satellite TV but I never watched it. Wired only internet in the rooms were of ok speed at no cost. There is wireless by the pool area.

SERVICE: Couldn’t be much better. The staff are exceptional and willing to help with all of your travel needs. They are so friendly and caring. I was impressed.

SUMMARY: Walking from this resort to the beach, this hotel clearly stood out as the best. Victoria house is the premier (somewhat in town option) but for a relaxed and comfortable place with a great pool area, I would strongly suggest Xanadu as a great choice for your stay in San Pedro.

Date of stay: July 2008