1,361 results
All reviews nature walk ambergris caye full kitchen golf cart heated pool lil alphonse our honeymoon grocery store hermit crabs cinnamon rolls free bikes fish dinner reservations bedroom suite cave tubing swimming area paddle boards
Reviewed 14 July 2008

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences and I encourage you to view hotels I have stayed at and their respective reviews (by clicking on my name).

LOCATION: Good, not great. I would have preferred it to be a little bit closer to town. It’s about a 20 minute walk but at night it’s advised to take a 5 minute, US$5 taxi for safety reasons.

BEST WAY TO GET THERE: Flight from the Belize Municipal Airport should cost US$35 and about double from the International Airport. Taxi from airport to Xanadu takes about 5 minutes and is included in the room rate.

TYPE OF ROOM:

Room 15 (bedroom with loft) & Room 10 (2 bedrooms oceanfront).

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: The bed was soft and adequate. The sheets were also soft but short of luxurious. The pillows are perfect if you like them on the thin side but are not down.

LIGHTING: Tons of lights in the room but the switches are difficult to find.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Bathroom isn’t gorgeous but everything worked fine. The shower pressure in room 15 was on the weak side but quite strong in room 10. Water temperature could get hot if desired. Room towels were a bit more like pool towels in quality.

TOILETRIES: Shampoo and soap are in push button containers located on the shower wall. May be best to bring your own.

CLEANLINESS: The entire property is exceptionally clean with a few minor stains on the curtains.

A/C: Quickly would get the room cool. A bit on the loud side.

CLOSET SPACE: Above average closet space.

STYLE OF ROOM: Very basic but comfortable.

QUIET/MORNING LIGHT: The rooms were very quiet. Curtains didn’t adequately block the morning light.

FOOD: There is no restaurant on the property.

TV/INTERNET: There is satellite TV but I never watched it. Wired only internet in the rooms were of ok speed at no cost. There is wireless by the pool area.

SERVICE: Couldn’t be much better. The staff are exceptional and willing to help with all of your travel needs. They are so friendly and caring. I was impressed.

SUMMARY: Walking from this resort to the beach, this hotel clearly stood out as the best. Victoria house is the premier (somewhat in town option) but for a relaxed and comfortable place with a great pool area, I would strongly suggest Xanadu as a great choice for your stay in San Pedro.

Date of stay: July 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
5  Thank TravelSnob1
Reviewed 12 July 2008

We just returned from a 7-night stay at Xanadu in early July and it was wonderful -- from start to finish. It is a fantastic property , relaxing and beautiful, lived up to and even better than the photos we saw on their website (which is why we picked it). Our first trip to Belize.

The resort is located down the beach from town, but it's a nice/easy walk (20 mins or so) or bike ride to town. It's beautifully landscaped, pool is clean and cool and freshwater, and one of the staff cut down a coconut and cracked it open for us to drink. The staff is exceptionally helpful and cheerful, with good advice on which excursions to take -- Sue, Stacey, Ingrid, Alex, etc. In the months leading up to arrival they answered all my questions promptly and thoroughly.

Everything at Xanadu was easy easy -- the pre-paid taxi on arrival (and departure), pre-booking of Tropic Air flights from BZE to the island, having bottled water and some coffee supplied in the room on arrival, having housekeeping always know when we were out to clean our room, fresh towels for the pool/beach, restaurant menus in the office, and even flowers in the towels on arrival. It's easy to borrow the bikes and kayaks, complete cookware for cooking in the kitchen (the grocery store is a 3-minute walk away), pier with palapa and lounge chairs at the end, and there's a lending library in the front office. Even the little "Nature Walk" at the back of the property, up into the canopy, was cool! They booked our excursions to the reef -- incredible snorkling (Hol Chan/Shark Ray: we held nurse sharks!) and sunset catamaran cruise, which we did last minute very easily. The view of the ocean from the hammock (we were in rooms #1 and #3) is pure bliss... It's not a 5-star and there are definitely cheaper hotel options on the island, but I really thought it was very good value for the money -- clean, easy, friendly, everything taken care of.

Also, I had been a little worried about the weather in the summer (thinking it would be too rainy, too hot, too buggy) but it was gorgeous -- mid-80s F, a constant breeze/wind which kept the mosquitoes/bugs away and clouds but no rain. Things I wished I'd packed: a scarf (windy!), more than 2 bathing suits, and spices for cooking. Also, our favorite breakfast spot where we ate every morning: Estels (on the beach)-- get the mango fry-jacks!

In short, we LOVED Xanadu (and Ambergris Caye), would return again, and highly recommend it!

Date of stay: July 2008
4  Thank JenniferNYC44
Reviewed 1 July 2008

My family and I recently stayed at Xanadu hotel. It was a wonderful choice. The staff were terrific (Susan, Stacy and Ingrid were very helpful). We arrived late on the first night and the staff stayed past their work hours to greet us w/ warm smiles and showed us our rooms.

They have a great tour desk/lobby and can arrange virtually any tour you wish. I highly recommend snorkeling w/ Alfonse (I promise, the sting rays and nurse sharks will NOT hurt you!) and Ed's Eco Tours for the Xunantunich and Cave Tubing tour.

The rooms were very clean, the maid service was impeccable and everyone who worked there were truly very nice and so open to sit down and have a chat w/ you. They even have a security guard that patrols the grounds at night so that made us feel even more safe.

The pool was terrific, esp. the sunbathing area! My only disappointment (this is VERY minor) was that their man made reef didn't really have any fish nor anything else to see when we snorkeled there (though we did see a Portuguese man of war jellyfish -- yikes!) so it was a bit disappointing. However, Ambergris Caye offers a truly magical snorkelikng/scuba diving experience so that more than made up for it.

As for restaurants, nearby Rico's and Wild Mangoes (need reservations for this one) were great. Can't wait to go back!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Boracay
Reviewed 22 June 2008

Relaxing is not usually the word used to describe holidaying with three children under 10 but at the Xanadu resort relaxing was exactly the right discription.
The condos are great with plenty of room and everything we needed. The staff were amazing no request seemed too difficult. Everyone was friendly and we all appreciated how painless they made a room change, even moving the beer from one fridge to another (we booked last minute and had to change rooms during the week). Our room was kept spotless and the maid even tidied up all the teddies.
The resort seems to blend in with the scenery and the pool was lovely. We saw lots of wildlife including the resident Iguana. We went out snokelling twice to the reef and both times what we saw exceeded our expectations. We saw sea turtles, snarks stingrays, eels to list a few. Our guide, Alfonso, was great pointing things out and naming all the fish.
We aso did a trip to the mainland taking in the Zoo, Cahal Pech and Cave Tubing ( a crazy experience), the staff organised everything for us and again the guide we had was great.
All I can say is thank you to all the staff for a great time and a wonderful introduction to Belize.

Reviewed 20 June 2008

My wife and 3 children have stayed at Xanadu every summer for the past 4 years. The staff is very friendly and extremely professional. The resort is outstanding, with a wonderful pool and beautiful landscaping. The management has excellent relationship with the top guides in the area for fishing, snorkeling and SCUBA. This is a first class operation. 5 star quality and service accross the board.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)