1,344 results
All reviewsnature walkfull kitchenambergris cayegolf cartlil alphonsegrocery storeour honeymoonhermit crabscinnamon rollsfree bikesfishbedroom suitecave tubingstaff was extremely helpfulswimming areadinner reservationspalm trees
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

We spent a week at Xanadu, and had a good experience. Our first room was 7A and was a one-bedroom - clean and functional with a decent kitchen. Not luxury as advertised but we liked the location - close enough to town to ride our bikes to (loved the free rentals) or walk along the beach to/from (20-min walk) - nice pool area, two markets within a few feet and friendly, helpful staff. Our last night we were upgraded to Room 11 which is an ocean front, 3-bedroom truly luxury suite - upgraded everything (tile, kitchen, furniture, etc) with a private deck. There were just two of us so it was overkill but it was a great way to enjoy our last night.

Tips:
- take advantage of the free bike rentals- either ride on the beach or street for a quick way to get into town (the beach is a little harder when you hit soft sand but a fun adventure)
- try George's Kitchen for a great meal - short 5-min walk from the hotel
- Marinas market is a little less than the supermarket across the street but the latter has better selection/more variety
- we booked our dives with Chuck & Robbie's - highly recommend them, and went fishing with Hill (caught about 100 snappers between my husband and I!)

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank SanDiegoCross
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Recently I stayed at this quant Boutique Resort and had such a relaxing vacation. The most memorable of all was the kindness and helpfuness of Ms. Ingrid. She was there to give my husband and I advice about the island, help us with our tours and welcomed us in a way that we felt like we were staying with family. These days we just look for places to go and relax and the resort and it's staff become an important factor of our enjoyment. MS. Ingrid made us feel so comfortable that I will view our future stays at Xanadu Resort like going to our new second home and to visit MS. Ingrid like I am visiting my dearest family.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2012

i just returned from a return trip to belize and absolutely loved xanadu. the staff (we worked a lot with the fantastic jamil) was incredible and they worked with great companies for excursions. we used their recommendations for snorkeling, diving and a trip to lamanai. everything is easy as they just charge it to your room, and that includes an overwater spa for massages that is a quick walk from the property. (treat yourself!) they also gave great restaurant recommendations. the dock is a great place to sunbathe with the breeze to cool you off. this is the same spot the tour companies will pick you up for excursions (very convenient). i didn't realize until i took a quick look before we hopped in the taxi to leave, but they have a cool bird sanctuary with an elevated bridge similar to one in the amazon!
we started in room 9, which is on the 3rd floor and is a beautiful 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom beauty. we loved it! due to availability we moved to a 2 bedrm loft, which was not quite as nice as the other room (not as modern and the layout wasn't nearly as nice) but we loved the hotel so much it didn't matter to us.
we loved having bikes available free of charge, and we also used the ocean kayaks (free, too). across the street they have a delicious grilled chicken stand and we also ate at rico's which is on the water and a quick walk from the hotel. since this hotel has kitchens, we biked down to a fruit stand that makes salsa (yum) and blended fresh pineapple juice for us (great for cocktails). one cool thing about this eco-friendly hotel is they have 3 gallon bottles of water that you can buy (saves on a bunch of little bottles needing to be recycled) to replenish your supply.

Room Tip: we preferred the regular two bedroom vs. the loft setting- more spacious. we liked room 9
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank susan s
Reviewed 19 April 2012

What can I say Ambergris Caye is such a beautiful place that it's hard to have a bad experience there, but Xanadu is perfection. for my family. We had a deluxe beachfront suite, which is 3 bedrooms, 3 full baths and a large kitchen and living room with a big flat screen and a wrap around porch with a dining table chairs and a hammock. We are a family of five and were there to see the sites relax and do some dive with our 3 boys. So the kitchen and space was exactly what we needed. Belize is such a warm friendly country that I still actually remember everyone's name, and if you knew me you'd know that was impressive. Blanca was really sweet and helpful and did everything for us from hooking us up with a dive shop (who by the way I highly recommend Belize Diving Adventures) to getting us a golf cart, a babysitter, recommending restaurants and anything we could think of. The place is small and beautiful just south of the busy part of San Pedro and has a small market right at the end of the driveway so stocking the fridge is as easy as it could be. It is a quiet stretch of beach with a small pool and lounge chairs and hammocks. Kayaks are available for rent as is almost anything. Belize is a tourist driven country so if you want something you ask for it and it shows up at your doorstep if you want a jetski, you ask Blanca and one shows up at the dock 50 feet from your room. If you go diving you don't need to take a cab to anywhere, the dive boat shows up at the dock 50 feet from your room, same for fishing. The diving is incredible Xanadu is about a 5 minute boat ride to the Ho-Chan Marine reserve where you are guaranteed to see, nurse sharks, Stingrays, Moray Eels, Sea Turtles and tons more, but that's a who nuther review. As a family this place was perfect although it does not have a restaurant on premises (good restaurants are a two minute walk in any direction). We enjoyed the quiet and it was a family place with a bunch of kids. If I was just a couple we might go to a more hotel type atmosphere situation with a restaurant (which there are plenty of as you go up and don the beach) although there was a small bar on premises but no mixed drinks. Belican Beer is pretty good though and I found my self drinking way too many.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room as Belize is not a wealthy country and we heard of a break-in during the night from the family on a lower floor I think it's the same one another reviewer wrote about so I don't want to give the impression it happens every night. There is some security.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen G
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My husband and I cannot recommend this place enough!

Beautiful, well maintained resort with out of this world staff. They took care of absolutely everything for us... booked tours, made dinner reservations, got us a golf cart, and most importantly gave us tips on where we could walk, when we should take a cab, and the must do things. The kitchen was great to have to make our own breakfast or dinner to save a little money and there are a few markets right around the corner. We will absolutely be returning and plan to bring a bunch of our family to share Xanadu with them as well.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple