“Got charged twice for one night and no refund!”
Review of Ruby's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ruby's Hotel
Ranked #49 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I paid in cash for one night and saw they had also charged my credit card for the same night when i returned home, I emailed for a refund. Their response was: "I have just checked my files and i am sorry for the mistake on my part. Unfortunately i can't refund you the money on the credit card, reason being the machine has been closed and the money has been deposited."

So, i asked for them to mail me a check. It has been several months later and no response when I try to contact them. I have resorted to asking my credit card to dispute the charge with them. Don't ever give them your credit card number! Pay in cash and ask for a receipt!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Limonata200

Reviewed 10 March 2012

I've stayed at Ruby's twice now at would have no hesitation about doing so again.
The rooms are basic and cheap, but have hot showers, comfy beds, fans in the rooms (although I believe some do have air con) and are right on the beach.
The rooms I've stayed in have always been spotlessly clean, and while I once had to wait til afternoon to check in they were happy to look after my luggage.
Some of the ground floor rooms can be noisy as there is a late night (and early morning) bakery adjacent, but it's great for breakfast snacks and decent coffee.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor rooms - can be a little noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank seastarscot
Reviewed 29 February 2012

This hotel was what you would expect for the price .. you hear any and all noise from the 2 inch gap under the door lol.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank BryanFury
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We had to check in during an emergency and after some initial hesitation, they let us check in quite early in the morning (about 6:15 am), for no extra fee (they initially wanted to charge us a whole extra day!) the room was clean and basic and comfortable enough. Ours faced the street, but there were decks on each level and loungers on the beach. I don't really recommend this island in general - the beaches aren't too great, the streets are dusty, and literally everything is crazy-overpriced (example: $4.50 USD for a cheap pre-packaged ice cream bar in a deli. What?!) Caye Caulker, although it has its own annoyances to be sure, is a better base if you want to be in the area for snorkeling or diving. You can't swim anywhere here but if you want to sit in the sun near palms and don't mind it being very very crowded and guys constantly offering to sell you weed, go for it. If I had to stay on this island again I would happily stay at Ruby's again (although the shower curtain and rod did fall down on me.) We paid $40 USD for a room with two twin beds facing the street. Seems crazy for Central America but probably a good deal for this overpriced and overrated island.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank unexpectedexplorer
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I have stayed at Ruby's twice now, and both times I was happy with the experience. It is VERY basic but also incredibly cheap; a private room with shared bathroom goes for $20 a night. It is located right on the beach in central San Pedro and has decks on the 2nd and 3rd floors that look right onto the ocean. The cafe downstairs does takeout breakfast and lunch that is good and super affordable. I agree with the reviewer that said to bring earplugs; there is a bar right across the street that has music blaring pretty late, but with earplugs I slept just fine (and my room was facing the bar). It's a good idea to make reservations ahead of time, because this is a very popular spot.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple