“Paradise found”

Ranked #19 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Greenville MI.
“Paradise found”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

Woke up early first morning and went for a walk on the beach to town, locals walking and riding bikes to town all greeted us with, good morning hello or good day, A walk through town greeted with a smile and good morning by all ( most friendly pepole I have ever met )
great food in town and a walk back to the Caibbean Villas . The after noon spent on the beach or at the Palapa bar meeting all staff and owners a the Sun barbacue, by the time we went to bed that night we knew we had picked the best place to stay and the best place to Vacation, and the rest of the week only proved this to be more true.We will be back and it will be at the Villas. Thank you Graham, Ruth and everyone at the CVH.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rlle
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2010

Because we were late making our reservation, we had one of CV's smallest, least expensive rooms with no beach front view. And still it was a lovely place to stay. The staff is nice and helpful. The grounds are beautiful. And everything was as promised.

My #1 tip is be sure to buy the tamales from the young man who arrives each morning on his bicycle. They are delicious...just like he says....made by his mom.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
New England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2010

I stayed at the Caribbean Villas Hotel for eight nights during the end of Feb. 2010. The hotel is positioned with direct access to the beach, and it's buildings are nestled in a wooded lot about a mile south of the center of San Pedro Town. When I first arrived by taxi from the Water Jets Express dock (the hotel paid for arrival and departure transportation), I was pleasantly surprised by the wooded, almost Robinson Carusoe-like feel that the initial entry provides. You feel as if you're entering the jungle. My first couple of nights were spent in a single efficiency unit, #13, which is behind the main buildings a bit, and directly above the office. This unit provided a furnished kitchenette (with adjacent bath sink), refrigerator, separate small bedroom just large enough to fit two twin beds joined to make a king, and a separate shower and toilet stall. For a single traveler as I was this unit was spacious enough, but for a couple with luggage it might get a bit cramped. As it suited me, I quickly came to appreciate my second-story vantage point where I could peer through the wooden shutters at a nearly iquana lazing in the morning sun from my bed. The noise in this room, given it's close proximity to the administrative office, was very quiet; the only nose I recall hearing was that of birds in the morning, and that wasn't loud enough to wake me.

Towards the end of the second day of my stay I was offered a larger unit, unit #11, to stay in for the same price as my over-office bungalow. I took the offer and moved my stuff to the main building closed to the pool, bar, and beach beyond. As I entered the sliging glass doors for the first time I was surprised to see what amounted to a two bedroom loft apartment with kitchen service for five, separate dining and living room areas, balcony facing the ocean, as well as an upstairs balcony facing the water. As I climbed the narrow stairway to the loft level where the bedrooms are I remember thinking how much better both the view and the spaciousness of this unit was to the previous. Before moving I was told that I would have two nights in this unit as someone else had it reserved after that.
The master bedroom had the same co-joined beds, a though-wall air conditioner that was a bit louder that the split A/C in unit #13, a separate bath w/shower, a large closet with pant rack and drawers, and a private balcony with stained glass window in the door. Although I didn't need it I saw that the second bedroom offered a single twin bed in a small room with a fan (no A/C). Overall this unit was nicely furnished and included phones on both levels as I recall. The feeling reminded my of my aunt's condo who retired in Florida: neat, clean, and slightly dated. I should add that the water pressure was not as strong as it is in most hotels in the States, but I imagine that has something to do with the supply.

On the evening of my last night in unit #13 while I was enjoying a drink at the palapas bar not more than a couple dozen steps from my doorstep :), one of the owners, Ruth (her husband Graham and I believe three of their kids live nearby and are often seen playing or working on the property. Ruth and Graham are usually at the bar talking to guests for a bit each evening as well), offered another property for the remainder of my stay, located a few minutes further south, and offered to show it to me immediately if I was interested. I didn't have another plan yet so I took her offer to see it. It was about a five-minute golf cart ride south to the "Blue House", and amounted to a studio apartment w/cable TV (the main hotel rooms don't have TV's although the bar does). I was told that the family was planning on moving into the four-bedroom unit on the second level of the same building. There was also a pool, but I didn't see it. If you have the opportunity to stay here, they will leave you with a bicycle, but plan on taking taxis in the evening as it's a) not on the beach, and b) quite a walk. In the end I told her I would take the unit, and we agreed on the same price as I was paying to be in the hotel.

The following day my stuff was moved over to the Blue House and upon returning from a day of scuba diving I rode the bicycle to my new digs. As I had been in the ocean most of the day I sorely need to shower, as was dismayed to find the water pressure worse than the hotel. Also I found that this unit didn't include any as the hotel did, and I wasn't traveling with any. There was a phone on the unit, which I hoped I could use to call about the non-existent water pressure, but it wasn't plugged into the wall, so I plugged it in. But to lack of any usage instructions and my own ignorance I could never figure out how to dial any numbers from it, I then rode back to the hotel to find the owners in the bar, and complained about the issues. They told me that as it was an efficiency apartment it did not include soap like the hotel, but if I wanted the reservation for unit #11 was canceled and I could move back into it for as many nights as I wished, and they would pay for a taxi for me to move my stuff back. I was relieved to be back at the hotel, as well as appreciative of their gracious resolution. Suffice it to say I stayed for the remainder of my time in San Pedro (four nights) at the hotel.

The staff at the hotel from reception to maintenance to bar to cleaning were all well experienced and professional at least, and in more than a few cases, truly personable and interesting and fun to talk with. The bartenders Louis and Tony were always quick to recall what you drank the previous evening and offer the same, or happily banter about whatever. On a couple occasions Tony and his wife prepared bar-b-ques, which I believe are regular optional dining options at the hotel. I has the shrimp kebabs one night with garlic mashed potatoes that everyone wanted seconds of. While I didn't use the pool or one of two adjacent jucizzis during my stay, they were close to both the bar and rooms for convenient access, and included chaise lounges for sunning. Beyond the bar/pool area is the beach front, with more chaise lounges. Also part of the property is about a 80' dock with palaps and hammock at the end, under which supposedly has good snorkeling. While I was there one of the return guests was looking for dolphins they had seen on a previous visit.

The quests were mostly couples while was there, ages between mid 30's and up. One couple who had actually gotten married at the property jad returned to re-establish their vows. Other couples I talked to had been returning as well. The hotel seems to be most popular with a more mature crowd, who still is looking to party and have fun while on vacation, but doesn't want the noise associated with the late-night scene found closer to the center of San Pedro Town. As a single traveler looking for a bar scene, I often made the relaxing walk along the beach to town, and then took a taxi back. If it's any indication of the desirability of the facilities at the Caribbean Villas, on a few occasions I noticed people from neighboring hotels, and in one case a US ex-pat living across the street, in the bar or on the hammock. I grew to enjoy staying in a place that on the one hand felt like "the place to be" south of the airport, and on the other felt removed from the noise of golf-cart engines and taxis un and down the main strips.

I wouldn't think twice about bringing my friends or family back to stay here sometime. The combination of loft-style units, bar/pool area, beachfront, staff, quiet, wooded grounds, free bicycles usage, and relatively affordable price make it a good decision for a place to stay in San Pedro. Another reason to select a beachfront hotel with dock like the Caribbean Villas is snorkel and dive tours pick you up right at the hotel dock. Note: I did see a nice place with more modern appointments including kitchenette and plasma TV right in the center of town and directly on the beach for about 20% more that the Caribbean Villas which I would consider if only for the ability to walk everywhere.

Thanks Ruth and Graham for such an accommodating stay!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Jackson, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2010

The Caribbean Villas is in a great location, the downtown area is just a small walk away but just far enough to be in a good area. I was there for a few days and met other vacationers that would come to hang out at the bar and hot tub at Caribbean Villas. I heard that the Villas was one of the few places with hot tubs. They had two hot tubs and a pool. We stayed in the studio and it was just enough for 2 people. We had a kitchen sink, small refridgerator, plates, silverware, microwave, and small kitchen table. A small grocery store was just down the road. There was an air conditioner and fan in the room with lots of windows to open. The villas also had bikes that you could borrow for free which was nice to ride around the island. The free breakfast was served outside at the bar which only consisted of juice, coffee, a few slices of watermelon and pineapple, and a huge cinnamon roll. I wish they had more for breakfast. There was a dock into the water. If you do any of the excursions, they will pick you up by boat at the end of the dock. The villas property is right by the water with lawn chairs on the beach and some hammocks. The excursions that the villa recommend are a little bit more expensive than what they are at the actual place, probably so that they can get some of the money. Just next store to the villas was a watersport rental place that had kayaks, hoby cats, kite surfing, etc. and lessons for each of them. The bartenders are very helpful! Free wifi but no computers for guests. I don't have much to complain about and would stay there again!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Falls Church, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

Just a perfect spot! After a 5 night stay on the smaller island of Caye Caulker we had the opportunity for a final 2 nights in Ambergris. Could not be happier to have our last days at Caribbean Villas. Beautiful spot on the water, sandy beach, beach bar and pool, wonderful staff that made us feel very welcome. Nice walk on the beach to some really good restaurants and not far from town (but far enough away). Hope to be back soon!
Karen & Fred