All reviews perch beach bar ambergris caye golf cart water trampoline close to town office staff zip line front office king bed water pressure location was perfect air conditioner downtown san pedro walk along the beach fish sea grass
Reviewed 26 April 2018 via mobile

Nice place for a reasonable price. Clean and well maintained. Got everything you need. Nice beach, good food, make sure you try the veggies cashews burger.
Almost all rooms have ocean view.
Overall a good place to stay

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

Beautiful location with nice clean rooms. Staff were lovely and very accommodating. Simple rooms ( you really don’t need more). Ground are beautiful and well managed. Wish they offered drinkable water in the room. (You need to by water at the bar $1.00 per bottle)

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank missy2go
Reviewed 22 April 2018

My husband and I stayed at the Caribbean Villas for spring break this year based on the recommendation of someone who lives on the island. Shortly before we travelled, there was a bad review on this site, so I was a little nervous about the place until we arrived. Once we checked in, all my worries were gone. We were greeted by friendly staff, had a lovely air conditioned one bedroom villa (#3), enjoyed the well maintained grounds, had perfectly good wifi/internet speed and never saw a bug inside or outside. The room was clean, spacious and had a very comfy king sized bed. The small kitchen had the necessary items for cooking, although we always ate out. The seaweed was an issue at ALL of the hotels/resorts on the water. According to our friend (the local) this is a seasonal problem and something to be expected. It is smelly, but not overwhelming... more like a fishy smell. The beach itself was beautiful and well maintained. If you don't like the smell of the seaweed, you really don't smell it once you leave the dock and beach. There are two small but well maintained swimming pools and plenty of places to relax outside in sun or shade.

I was a little surprised by the prices of things in Belize. Much more expensive than I expected, and this includes the restaurant at the hotel. I found the food fine, but of average taste and quite expensive. Because of convenience, we did eat here a few times and found the wait staff and bartenders to be very good. A few nights there was karaoke which I could take or leave, but it was amazingly popular with the many teens at the resort for spring break.

Getting to the hotel is easy from the airport with a $5US cab ride. When staying at the hotel, I do recommend renting a golf cart and exploring the island as much as possible. While you can walk to town (10 minutes maybe), there is much more to the island than simply the town. While on the north side of the island our golf cart broke and was not drivable. The staff at the hotel were very helpful getting us a replacement.

Favorite things about SanPedro: the local artisan fair on back street, the lovely and ever-present breeze that keeps you cool in the heat, snorkeling at Mexico rocks, outdoor movie at the Truck Stop (don't let the name fool you- great food and atmosphere) and time spent at Rojo's Beach Bar (don't let this name fool you either- this place is amazing) on the north side of the island.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2018

Let me begin by saying the Caribbean Villas obviously has no control over mother nature and the curve balls she throws from time to time. That said, my wife and I are looking to move to Belize. We stayed at Caribbean Villas in Ambergris Caye so we could check out the beaches, housing and overall feel for the area. Based on reviews for Caribbean Villas and their web site, we didn't expect a 5 star hotel nor did we get one. Our room was on the first floor, it was small, no microwave, no chairs inside(more about chairs later) and as close to the beach as you can get without a tent. That's usually a good thing, right? Well in our case it wasn't. Evidently we were there during the Sargassum seaweed invasion of 2018. Along with it, the bugs who like to call the Sargassum home. These bugs or overgrown gnats if you will, were relentless at swarming in your face when disturbed, which was each time the door was opened. You see, they liked to land on our plastic porch chairs and the molding around the door opening. So when you sat down or opened the door, we were "swarmed". THEY didn't bite, or I don't think they did, but they would fly too close to your face so an occasional sortie did get bitten. Once inside the room they congregated on the inside door glass where I used a pair of my shorts to swat and end many of their pesky little lives. Gross I know, but the truth. We complained to the front desk about the persistent intruders and were told they would send someone. I suppose island time is a real thing because after several hours, no one came to deal with our "friends". I went walking around the property and found a housekeeper who I asked if she could help to resolve our dilemma. She immediately went for the bug spray in her maid basket and came to my rescue. Once she sprayed, we only had the occasional bug visitor for the rest of our stay. She even left the bug spray for us to use if need be. The hotel workers tried from sun up to sun down their very best to do away with all the bug infested seaweed washed up on the beach but their's was a never ending, smelly, thankless task. The stuff smelled horrible.

The first day of our stay, we noticed the fridge wasn't plugged in. The reason, the outlet didn't work. I went down to the office and advised them of the issue. Within a few minutes, someone from maintenance was there. He didn't fix the outlet. He hooked up a drop cord instead. I was a little concerned about running a refrigerator and a laptop on a drop cord so I asked him how long it would be until a permanent fix was done. He said he had to get a part and would fix it the next day. We are still waiting for the permanent fix. There's that island time thing again. The place didn't burn down though, or at least not by the time we left. I did let the office know it wasn't fixed yet.

The on site restaurant was a little pricey for us. We spent $36.00 for breakfast. We didn't go back after that. There were plenty of other choices within walking distance of the hotel.

Other than that we didn't have any other issues. The front desk people, Carla in particular, were has helpful and courteous as they could be. She always responded to my emails before we arrived and was just as pleasant when we met face to face. Good work Carla!

I would recommend this hotel to others as long as one doesn't expect it to be luxurious, it is not. If you expect a fairly inexpensive room, without any chairs plastic or otherwise, or a microwave in the room, and relatively close to markets and restaurants, then you will be satisfied. I can't comment on the pools because I don't use them(see photo) but they looked nice.

Room Tip: Get an interior room away from the Sargassum seaweed invasion.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Peter L, Owner at Caribbean Villas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Dear Guests,

First of all, thank you very much for your review. It is your constructive feedback that makes us aim for a better service.

Unfortunately the seaweed is an issue being dealt with throughout the Caribbean and we thank you for being understanding. We will definitely look into our island time issue with maintenance and why it took so long to solve and hope to better our service every day.

In reference to our restaurant, we have taken your and many guest's suggestions into consideration and have a brand new breakfast, lunch and dinners menu's that we invite everyone to come and try.

We try to offer an affordable option on the beach and we strive to make them better every year. We hope you visit us again.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We stayed at Caribbean Villas in mid-March for about a week. The place looked beautiful online but was a little less impressive in person (the same could be said about San Pedro overall--although it's undergoing a lot of change). The location is good--a short walk into town, but a little quieter and nice stretch of beach. (Although the sea grass seems to be pervasive throughout San Pedro.) Our room was very spartan. There was a bed with two bedside tables, no dresser, no chair, no table. There were some shelves to put things on but it was frustrating to not have any other furniture. Likewise, there was no vanity space in the bathroom, just one narrow shelf that was rather high up. I think the rooms vary a bit, so it would help to ask details about the kind of room you are booking. The view from the front porch was lovely. The staff was pleasant. The room didn't quite meet my expectations, but the price was right and after an initial adjustment we had a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask about details of the room's location and amenities... there are thin walls.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We try to offer an affordable option on the island that it is still on the beach. We thank you for you points and we will take it into consideration for the rooms and hopefully we can change this 3 star review into a 5 in the near future