“Break in while I was in the room”
Review of Spindrift Hotel

Spindrift Hotel
Ranked #44 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Sierra Nevada CA
“Break in while I was in the room”
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Nice staff, clean room and good restaurant downstairs doesn't make up for assuring me that it was ok to leave my sliding door open for the breeze. They came in my room while I was sleeping stealing passport, computer, phone and all my money. Do not rely on the security - they only watch the inside courtyard.

4 Thank Sierraraven
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We stayed at the Sprindrift for six nights and between us had 2 roooms.You don't pay alot for this hotel so its not high for amenities but the people that worked there were so sweet. They have an outdoor sitting area that has the most amazing view of the ocean--I could have sat there all day. The rooms are what you'd expect for this price but we felt very safe and the staff did whatever they could to help us. This hotel is right in the heart of the shopping district of San Pedro (literally out the back door of the hotel) the ocean (literally out the front door of the hotel) was full of boats so we just walked down the beach to find a better place to swim. A perfect hotel that is quite a bargain

Room Tip: front rooms of the hotel looked the roomiest
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank ThereseORU
New Berlin, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 March 2011

Clean room, bed was fine, fan in room, nice veranda, etc. However, paying $53US, this is what I would expect out of a room. I did like the presence of a security guard on site. I felt comfortable leaving my belongings here. Only complaint was we asked where to do laundry and they offered to do it. We advised our timeframe (leaving in 3.5 hours) and were told no problem. We returned hours later to find out it was drying (still). Asking in the office about it proved to be no help - they were completely oblivious to what was going on. After tracking down one of the maids, she kept telling us 15 minutes it would be ready. We had a water taxi to catch in an hour and were told no problem (15 more minutes). They gave us a hassle with paying for this only accepting exact payment and saying they didn't have change. Eventually we had 10 minutes before our taxi departed and out came our laundry, still damp. We were traveling across Belize and had to tote damp clothes packed in our bags through the heat and humidity. It would have been a pleasant stay if not for that fiasco.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
arizona
Reviewed 14 December 2010

The staff at the Spindrift are always efficient and accomodating. We will cdontinue staying at the Spindrift.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Let me start off by writing that the staff was enormously nice and accommodating. There was also Security standing around to make sure no hooligans were hanging around. I generally felt like my stuff was safe in my room. Also, it was nice having the dive shop just yards away from the hotel on the pier. And, the hotel was centrally located and we loved having Estel's restaurant right next door, which was perfect for breakfast.

However, this is a fine place if you don't care about all the noise (the constant drumming outside the hotel drove us nuts), the spotty wi-fi (I had to lean out on our tiny veranda to get a signal), and lumpy beds (though I've slept on worse). In other words, it wasn't fine for us.

My husband and I are in our mid to late 40s and we decided after spending a week at the Spindrift that we make good money and don't need to travel like we're poor college students. So we hope to return to Ambergris Caye and stay at someplace like Ramon's next time where it's a little quieter, has sheets that don't scratch, and when you look out the window you won't see trash (see my pictures I've posted). The Spindrift (as well as a lot of the other inexpensive properties in that area) seemed to have loads of trash all around it.

At least the room we were in was roomy enough for us, our suitcases and our scuba gear. That was a plus.

And if you've come to dive, know that there's no lift and so you have to carry all your scuba gear up and down the stairs. We were on the third floor. Thank goodness my husband is a good sherpa.

On an amusing note, the Famous Chicken Drop on Wednesday nights brings a whole lot of people to the outside of the hotel. Makes for a raucous party.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MsBoice
Spindrift H, General Manager at Spindrift Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2016
Thanks very much for your review, so sorry that in 2010 The hotel was not suitable for your needs although Spindrift Hotel 2016 has changed a bit, We are still in Town and the Chicken drop that is celebrated only on Thursday stops at 10:00 o'clock at night
and yes you are right the rooms are located on the upper part of the building which is Second and third floor. There is now 5 categories of Rooms with different rates, for all budgets affordable to everyone.
Our Hotel has changed lots from the last time you visited and we would love to have you once more.
Thanks again,
Spindrift Hotel General Manager.