Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
1,288 results
All reviews mambo restaurant our honeymoon jade spa beach front gaia riverlodge ambergris caye coconut mojito fish main building paddle boards golf cart sea grass snorkeling gear boat ride secret beach hol chan and shark ray alley mayan ruins
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Highly recommend - romantic location with friendly efficient staff. Great food. Great snorkeling excursions. Bungalows are adorable and comfortable. COVID testing available on the premises for a reasonable price and efficient transfers to and from airport. Highly recommend this location.

Date of stay: November 2021
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank MargaretG625
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Beautiful resort. Designed for relaxation - a place to chill in absolute comfort and style. Beautiful clean beach with a quick kayak ride out to the reef for snorkeling. Casitas are so comfortable and private. Great pool. So many available excursions.

We are vegan and gluten free and the chef did an incredible job making gourmet dishes around our diets. Breads, Deserts - were incredible.

Room tip: Just tell the hotel staff what you are looking for.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After staying at the sister resort, Gaia, Matachica is more a normal beach resort feel. The staff are extremely friendly but you don't feel as much of a 1:1 as you do with Gaia, likely because there are more guests onsite and more activities to do offsite. But this does not take away from the resort at all.

The food is slightly more expensive than elsewhere on the island, but nice when you don't want to travel for food.  Jordi was our server most of the time, he was great and extremely friendly.

The staff onsite were all very nice, notably Joe. I would chat with him daily.
Tons of mosquitos, but they provide bug spray and mosquito coils. Don't leave your room without it and also do a mosquito check the night before. The bug nets worked, I think. We stayed at the beach front cabana, which had much less mosquitos than the interior but still some.

We stayed 6 nights, but would have been happy with 4 nights. Applying bug spray and sunblock everytime you go outside is exhausting, but that's the price of a beach vacation... the beach and the pier are very nice and you could easily spend a few das lounging around them.

The accommodations are also very nice, except there doesn't seem to be any cold water. Its warm or hot... warm or hot are not the best options when you are sun burned.

Based on the above, this would be a 5 star experience for me.

So why 3 stars instead of 5? Unfortunately the owner showed up for the last few days of our stay.  I was casually fishing from their dock, and he instructed one of his staff to tell me not to fish.  The next day, he then proceeds to ask me how the fishing has been.... seriously?  don't pretend to be a nice guy when you are not. Needless to say, spending thousands of dollars at your resorts and not being allowed to fish from the dock is at a minimum, aggravating.  Absolutely ruined my last few days and the reason i will not be coming back.  For folks that are saying he can do whatever he wants because its his dock, the BELIZE LAW IS THAT ALL DOCKS ARE PUBLIC FROM 6AM-6PM. Odd he thinks he is above the law, and to one of his guests nonetheless. Its also noteworthy that NONE of the guests had any problems with me fishing, but were rather interested in watching me catch unique belize fishes and would ask me about it often.  I understand if my fishing was a safety risk, dirtied the dock, scared fish away from the dock for snorkelers but I was none of the above.  i kept my distance from other guests (wasn't fly fishing either),  practiced catch and release, and didn't dirty the dock at all.  If the owner hadn't shown up, this would be a 5 star review and i would return annually. He put a damper on my whole vacation.

Room tip: The owner is an anti-fisherman. If you like to fish while on vacation, choose a different resort.
Date of stay: October 2021
DANIEL LIGHTER, Owner at Matachica Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thanks so much for your review and I am so glad that your experience with us was as positive as you have expressed. I am puzzled though with regards to your reference to my interaction with you. While another guest or perhaps a member of my staff might have met you, it was certainly not me! I had no such conversation with anyone and was quite taken by surprise by your message. Having said that, indeed we do ask that our guests use our designated fishing pier rather than the pier used by our guests to relax, read, sleep and enjoy the sun.

While fishing for those who participate is lots of fun, others are oftentimes disturbed with the smell, mess, hooks, interference with quiet snorkeling and at times the excitement of the catch. It was for that reason that we set up a perfect spot on the northern pier, where fishermen/women can fish and then use our fish counter to prepare their catch for dinner.

I'm so sorry about the confusion and while your interaction was not with me, and while we do very much encourage fishing on property, it is best done elsewhere than on our main guest lounge pier. I deeply regret that this interaction spoiled what seems like an otherwise wonderful holiday with us and hope that you offer us another chance to visit.

Daniel Lighter, Owner

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Everything was incredible from the rooms to the views, food, massages and excursions with Charlie. The beach was beautiful. We can’t wait to return someday. We felt like we had died and gone to heaven. Very personal service and extreme sweet staff.

Room tip: Don’t wait. Go.
Date of stay: October 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank jessicatK7903DU
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I arrived by private boat after a beautiful plane ride over the country, to a great reception not only by resort staff, but by the owner of the hotel as well!

Arriving at our room, the casitas overlooked the ocean and the room was designed for life in Belize and, in addition, was incredibly luxurious and comfortable.

Whether we were kayaking, swimming with the sharks, jet skiing, taking a beautiful boat ride, walk on the beach or just relaxing by the pool, the staff is phenomenal and knew my name and my wife's name the 1st day.

The menu had wide variety and you can tell that a great deal of thought went into it.

For anyone looking for a place to relax and enjoy time with the one that you love, Matachica indeed is a vacation in paradise and we would very highly recommend it!

Room tip: Go there ready to relax and have a great time!
1  Thank michaelhY5348RI