Victoria House Resort & Spa
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Athens Gate Beach Resort(San Pedro)
1,429 results
All reviewsplantation roomour honeymooninfinity suiteadmiral nelsonnelson's barpalmilla restaurantromance packageambergris cayedive shopin towngolf cartmain restaurantchaa creekgrounds are immaculateprivate poolbeautiful propertyfish
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We went to the Victoria House to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary (we travelled in August 2008, so yes, I am behind in my review of the property). But, in all honesty, I feel I can fairly review even after all this time has passed, because the hotel had a "once in lifetime" affect that isn't easy to forget.

The resort is small, maybe 40 or so rooms. The rooms are not equipped with TVs or radios. They have phones, but that's it for technology and we (who are both plugged in 24/7) relished the quiet. This is not the resort for you if you want animation teams or lots of action happening around you. This is the report for you if you want to feel like you are one of a handful of people left on an incredibly beautiful planet!

There's one restaurant and one bar at the hotel. The food was incredible! Especially the soups. We were there a week and never left the property in search of other eating options because we never tired of the food on-site.

We selected an all inclusive romance package. It wasn't the least expensive package, but we felt it was well worth the expense. One of the best parts of the package included a romantic dinner for two at the end of the private pier on a night of our choosing. The table was set with white linens, twinkling white lights decorated the palapa hut, and the center piece of fresh cut flowers were breathtaking. The Maitre 'd and waiters served us personally. The fresh-air setting over the water was incredible.

The service at this hotel is bar none among the best we've ever encountered while traveling (we vacation internationally at least once a year). Here’s a quick story about the service we received. While at the hotel, enjoying the romance and relaxation, I spontaneously decided to surprise my husband with a vow renewal ceremony at the hotel. I spoke with the Maitre 'd who had a local pastor in mind. He made the contacts, scheduled the day and time to coincide with our romantic dinner on the pier, and we discussed an honorarium I would make to the Pastor’s congregation. It was all set to be a lovely ceremony! What I didn't expect was that it would ultimately fall on the same day we went out to the Blue Hole to scuba (a trip NOT TO BE MISSED IF YOU SCUBA).

We did a day trip to scuba dive the Blue Hole. It takes about 3.5 hours to get out there, there are 3 dive stops plus lunch, and 3.5 hours to get back. So all in all a long day. On the ride back I was nervously looking at my watch because I knew we'd be late getting back to the resort and might miss the Pastor and the whole thing would be for naught. What to do? There was nothing I could do on the boat, but sit and worry.

We got back to the hotel about 2 hours late! I gave an excuse to my husband, who still didn't know what was in store, and scrambled down to the restaurant and profusely apologized for our lateness. I was prepared to be told "So sorry, dinner's off and the Pastor is long gone, never to return." But no, they said "No problem! We've set your special table on the pier, held dinner for you and the Pastor will return in an hour. Enjoy and give us the sign when you are ready for the ceremony to begin."

The dinner went off without a hitch. As we wrapped up another delicious meal, the Pastor came down the pier and together he and I surprised my husband with a touching, moving, loving vow renewal ceremony. That memory will be with us both for the rest of our lives and it is all due, 100%, to the staff at the Victoria House. No request is too unusual for this team who are the epitome of what it means to provide world class service.

Room Tip: *English is spoken widely, as is Spanish. Language proved no barrier for us, native English speakers. *US Dollars are the preferred currency. No need to change money. *The hotel makes golf carts available, for free, for use by hotel guests. Take a cart and go visit the town of San Pedro! Lots of cute little shops to check out. *There aren't any "bad" rooms but when booking ask for a room on the second floor. The view of the ocean is a little better! *Go into town to plan a trip to the Blue Hole. Scuba or snorkel, either works. It’s a long boat ride and can be a little rough in the open seas(!), but it is absolutely one of the best days on the water we’ve ever had. Totally worth the money!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I do not know where to begin to express how truly remarkable a vacation at Victoria House is. Our romance with VH started five years ago, with our wedding. Javier and Janet created a true fairytale for us (and our 40+ guest). EVERYONE loved it, and many have returned. We have made an annual trip ever since. Olivia (now 2 1/2) has even made 3 trips down -- her first at fourth months of age. The facilities are wonderful, food incredible, and service unsurpassed. It is such a treat to be pampered by such a great staff. The hotel offers great day trips and we love the fishing with Leonardo.

I will say I was very disappointed in reading the "review" from the person from New York, which does not accurately reflect how spectacular VH is. The only warning I would make about the food is it is so delicous and creative that you will eat more than planned. With regard to the "safety" we have had more than 100 meals in the 5+ years we have been going and never had a problem. Even my two year old loves the food and has never had any problem. I will say that neither VH nor Belize are for those of you are seeking high rise, glizty more showy types of vacations. If you are looking for a romantic, a slower paced (but very elegant) vacation with a lot of nature thrown in, VH and Belize are perfect. I will be glad to give anyone additional details if you email me.

Time, especially vacation time with loved ones, is precious. You can't miss by spending your time at Victoria House. Our next trip is already booked -- 279 days and counting!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank David X
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed at Victoria House as part of our Honeymoon in Belize.

We were not disappointed. Quite contrary - this was a dream come true and the high point of our honeymoon.

Location:
Ambergris Caye is a longish and somewhat narrow island. Victoria House lies in the South, about 10 minutes by golf cart away from the hustle and bustle of the main town. We didn't mind and either we rented a golf cart, we took the free bikes or we just took a long walk along the beach (it was a honeymoon after all).
Seeing all the action in the town, I was quite happy we were a bit away from that in a more quiet setting.

Rooms:
We had a room with a private veranda opening out to an infinity pool. Behind the infinity pool there is a strip of beach and the Caribbean Sea. I still have the photo of that view as my desktop wallpaper.
Beds, bathroom, TV, all utilities were top notch. There's even a service where a maid makes your bed in the evening!
The beds themselves are a dream - white 4 poster bed. Need I say more?

Restaurant:
We treated ourselves to dinner at the Palmilla Restaurant. While probably not the cheapest on the island, the food was outstanding as was the services. They even managed to get the wine (White and red) at the right temperature - something that isn't accomplished everywhere in Belize.
We had our breakfast in a different spot every day. At the bar, at the pool, on our private veranda, in our bed. It was always good and quick and filling.

Pool:
Victoria House has two pools and plenty of deck chairs around them. They invite you to just lay down and dream the day away, only interrupted by the waiters bringing another Pina Colada. They even have couple-sized sunloungers! ;-)

We loved the Victoria House and wish we could come back very soon!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelinkraut
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My husband & I spent our first night on Amgergris Caye at Victoria House, as our condo rental was not ready till the next day. This was our first visit to San Pedro. What a way to start our vacation - we were treated like royalty from the moment we were picked up at the airport until we checked out the next afternoon. All the staff we interacted with were so accommodating, friendly and helpful. Our room was gorgeous having a definite old plantation feel and the bed was like sleeping on clouds!! The grounds - gardens & pools are beautifully kept. Lunch on the patio and dinner in the bar were delicious. We came back towards the end of our vacation and had dinner in the Palmilla Room - the grouper meal was probably the best tasting & presented meal we had during our stay!!
This is definitely a place we would consider when we want a pampering & relaxing vacation. If we were this impressed with just one night I can only imagine how nice it would be to spend more time there.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Best beach front on Ambergris Caye, perfect pools, and the friendliest staff I've ever met. They would even greet us in town and ask how we were enjoying our stay. The Dive Shop made it super easy for us novices to set up excursions - snorkeling, zip lining, and cave tubing. All were fabulous deals for the price, and it was actually cheaper to go through the hotel then we had priced out ahead of time. I would not recommend getting a package - after you subtract the cost of the included snorkel trip, it added $175/day to our room and we didn't eat nearly that much food for dinner. (Everyone at the hotel gets the free continental breakfast, and it was extra on top of our package to order more than that.) A single appetizer for dinner was huge and would have filled us up - that would have cost about $20/day instead of $175. The weather was perfect, and you have to try "Robin's Kitchen" about 100 feet down the street - $6 for a full plate of jerk chicken/rice and beans/veggies. Best meal of the week.

Room Tip: The casitas are absolutely worth the cost - they are a must!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple