Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
$181
View deal
Hotels.com$181
Booking.com$181
Priceline$226
Traveluro$183
Travelocity$181
Curio$230
All reviews taco shack family cottage garden cottage dirty martini diamond member martini bar water beds empanadas golf cart food stands private island the cottages boat ride the main house main restaurant paddle boards sea lice
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 May 2022

You know a place is terrible if you have to write a review before you step foot on the property. First and foremost, nobody answers the front desk. Quite odd for a hotel, let alone a Hilton property. When I finally did talk to someone, I inquired about what was included. Considering this is a resort with resort fees, usually something is offered. And if not, I’m ok with that but do not deliver the message in a condescending manner. I’m an avid traveler and it’s an anomaly for resorts to charge resort fees but offer nothing but towels, internet and phone service for the fee. Heads up, you have to reserve the cabanas that they have plastered on their sites like it’s readily available. Well, they aren’t. I won’t arrive until next weekend and they are already all reserved. Why have this as the highlight of your establishment yet it’s a cumbersome process to get one? Let alone, this property is not even on a beachfront. And not to mention, reviews consistently reiterate how abysmal the service is. I truly wish I caught the cancellation deadline before I found all of this out because I am not looking forward to my stay. If they somehow manage to wow me when I arrive, I will be sure to do my part and update this review but I do not have high hopes.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank im742
Marian Gutierrez, Guest Services / Front Office at Mahogany Bay Resort & Beach Club, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2022

Dear im742, we would like to express our sincere apologies if our service prior to your arrival has been below your expectations. Our top priority is to deliver superior service to each and all our guest from start to end. We look forward to hosting your stay and may your visit allow you to experience the true essence of Belize. We encourage you to take advantage of our 24/7 reception service for any and all necessary request. We are readily happy to assist and delight you!

Reviewed 18 May 2022

This was our first time to Belize, and we’re so glad we stayed at MB. It’s close to everything if you want to get out and explore but has luxury accommodations and service, so you don’t need to leave!

Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton

Hi Michelaineb, in behalf of the Mahogany Bay staff, we would like to thank you for writing a sweet review! We are happy to hear that our guest accommodations meet all your relaxation needs. We hope to host you once more for another fabulous stay!

Reviewed 16 May 2022

If I could give 0 stars, I would.

My wife and I were looking for an amazing resort that would be the perfect place to spend our honeymoon. After a long and thorough search, we found Mahogany Bay and were more than excited to book 10 nights at a resort that included a private beach club, multiple restaurants, and bared the Hilton Curio Collection name. As a Hilton Diamond member, I have stayed at Hilton locations around the world and have never run into any issues, but this experience has made me question my faith in the Hilton name.

Upon arriving, we were driven past the picturesque main gate and into an active construction zone where huge dust clouds were being kicked up and the sound of power tools could be heard from one end of the resort to the other. On the road to the main house were boarded up shacks that were advertised as some of their "over 10 different artisanal dining venues." We came to find out that these "restaurants" were not even open and of the over 10 restaurants that were advertised, only 3 were open. After dropping our bags off in our room, which was above another room and we could hear everything they were saying if they spoke louder than a whisper, we went to the pool to relax and grab some food and drinks.

For the amount of money that Mahogany Bay is charging for food and drinks, you would hope that the quality and service were stellar but unfortunately it was some of the worst food and service that I have ever experienced. The drinks would take, on average, 25 minutes to get to you after you ordered and the pool had at most 10 people around it. Any dairy products that we ordered (milk, yogurt, etc.) were soured and the free continental breakfast was not on the menu and was not advertised by the staff unless you asked. The Japanese restaurant was by far our worst dining experience at the resort and put us over the edge. We went for lunch and were the only people in the restaurant at the time we placed our order. The food took over an hour to arrive and when I walked inside to ask how much longer we should expect to wait, the staff was goofing off and all on their phones. When it did finally show up, the order was wrong and the staff did not seem to care. After the first 3 days on the resort, my wife and I were down hundreds of dollar for what felt like the service you would receive at a McDonalds. From then on out, we ate and drank off of the property, where the food was less than half of the price and the service was great.

Speaking of going into town, the resort did not have any golf carts available to rent when we arrived and we ended up renting from a different company that a staff member called on his phone. This cart ended up being more money than the carts that Mahogany Bay rented but we came to find out that we could have rented a cart in town for about a tenth of the price that we paid. Had we known, we would have never bought anything on this resort because it ended up being marked up 200-500% for absolutely no reason.

On our second day we went to "The gem of Mahogany Bay Resort... the stunning, sandy-shored Beach Club." It turns out that this "Beach Club" is a single building on a underdeveloped man-made lagoon beach with the same level of service as the pool. On top of over-priced food and drinks, the beach had only a handful of beach chairs so unless you were on the first boat over, you were forced to sit on the ground. Sitting on the ground was very uncomfortable due to the sand fleas that would bite you constantly and would still bite you if you went into the water to relax. Mahogany Bay's website advertised that the Beach Club would have paddle boards available to rent but they had a total of 2 paddle boards for the entire club. Getting to and from the club was a crap shoot as well because the hourly boat could only fit 15 people and if you couldn't fit on one boat, you were stuck on the island for another whole hour. The Beach Club was a main reason why we picked this resort but after our first time going, we never returned.

Our best experiences for our honeymoon were when we left the resort for excursions or for lunch/dinner. We had a blast SCUBA diving and the excursions that were set up by the resort were great. However, whenever we returned to the resort all that we wanted to do was leave. We explored other hotels and their restaurants and were met with the quality and service that I expected from Mahogany Bay. Just across the street from the resort at Victoria House, we had an amazing dinner with a wait staff that treated us like valued guests, even though they knew that we were not staying at their resort.

If it was not for the fact that I used over 100,000 Hilton points to pay for half of our stay, we would have left Mahogany Bay after the first day to stay at one of these other resorts. We even paid extra for the honeymoon package but it did little to mask the overall awfulness of this resort. It unfortunately put a damper on our honeymoon experience and was far from what was advertised by Hilton. If you are looking for a wooden shack to stay in where you will be woken up by construction noises and have to take out a loan to pay for bad food and even worse service, then this is the "resort" for you. If you are looking for beach getaway in paradise, steer clear and I would recommend literally any other resort on San Pedro.

Date of stay: April 2022
Marian Gutierrez, Guest Services / Front Office at Mahogany Bay Resort & Beach Club, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2022

Dear Zacharyw490, We are sorry that your expectations were not met during your honeymoon stay. It is truly distressing to learn that we have let down one of our guest. Please accept our sincere apologies for any gap in our costumer service.
We widely market our diverse dining options on the property for guest who want to experience different culinary dining exposure without having to travel far off the property. The outlets are third party operators who schedule themselves to be available at different times during the day to cater to guest.

As per your Hilton Diamond member status we went ahead and upgraded your reservation from a garden cottage to an upper keeping suit, which is on a second floor, to enhance your Belizean Honeymoon experience. All upgrades are advised to guest upon check in. We do apologies if this upgraded was dissatisfying, we encourage all guest to let us know in real-time if there are any issues or concerns as we have a system in place to remedy them in a timely manner.

We are especially gutted to learn that your dining experience was distasteful, we take guest constructive feedback very seriously to ensure the necessary guidelines are in place and reviewed to prevent these challenges from occurring in the future.
During your stay there was a high demand for golf carts on the island entirely. Upon booking we welcome guest is pre-booking activities and rentals to be on the safer side. Nevertheless the course of events you experienced to rent a golf cart should have not happened. We are not here to provide excuses or arguments, only offer apologies.

We hope your experience at Mahogany Bay Resort does not take away from the real essence of Belize!

Reviewed 16 May 2022

Overall a nice stay. Pool and private beach were fantastic. All prices at the hotel is in USD.

Rooms:
Rooms were muggy and A/C did not function correctly. The remote did not actually control the unit. There is no glass in the widows, just shutters with screens so it’s impossible to control the humidity and temperature. Housekeeping was subpar, rooms were not cleaned well nor items replenished with any reliability, like towels, waters, clean glassware. Beds were comfortable with a pillow top mattress cover, but not enough pillows for two people. The pump bottles in the shower had rusted tips which was visible in the products so I suggest to bring your own shampoo and body wash as it was very gross. Toilet paper is one-ply and very uncomfortable to use so bring that as well.

Beach Club:
Service at the beach club was very slow and infrequent, even in the rented overwater cabanas and not all items ordered were actually delivered. Also the beach bar ran out of a number of items like limes, so many cocktails were not available. I found it tacky that the hotel charges for bottle water at the beach club when it is complementary throughout your stay (typically 4 bottles restocked in room and available anytime at the front desk). I suggest getting enough bottles for the day at the front desk before getting on the boat to avoid paying a $1.50/bottle for something that’s already included. For the overwater cabana, it’s best to reserve two weeks ahead of your arrival, by the time you check-in, they are likely already booked for the week. Immediately after check-in, confirm your reservation and collect the vouchers at the concierge desk to guarantee your spot. It’s $56 USD for a full day (10:15-4:45pm) but you can rent half days for somewhere around $35 USD. If you want to do a half day, I suggest book the afternoon, for the same price you have three hours access in the afternoon (1:15-4:45pm) compared to two hours in the morning (10:15-12:15pm). There is sea lice in the water so plan on getting bitten at least a few times. There are only two paddle boards and the paddles are very short, I am 5’4” and had to bend over to use it, very uncomfortable. I didn’t see any kayaks. The water is shallow only 1-2 feet in most places. Food was okay, menu is limited.

Pool:
The pool service was better but still a little slow. The water was nice and warm.

Veranda Restaurant:
Dinner was very good and one of the better meals we ate. Continental breakfast was poor, just filler food.

1  Thank frequenttraveler720
Marian Gutierrez, Guest Services / Front Office at Mahogany Bay Resort & Beach Club, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2022

Dear Frequenttraveler720, thank you for taking your time to write on the details of your recent stay with us. We are sadden to hear that your experience was not an enjoyable one. Our top priority is to deliver superior service and we would like to sincerely apologize that this was not executed during your visit to Belize.
Rest assure that we have reviewed all the concerns highlighted and will be taking proper measure to address all concerns from occurring in the future.
We hope this experience does not draw you away from the beauty and culture of our country. Thank you for your candid feedback.

Reviewed 10 May 2022

The people of Belize are kind and patient. The resort staff were all accommodating, friendly, and kind. I didn't have to worry about transportation, covid testing, great food, recommendations, they were helpful!

1  Thank iamadjusting
Roberto Guerra, General Manager at Mahogany Bay Resort & Beach Club, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2022

Dear iamadjusting,
Thank you for taking the time to share this review. We are thrilled that we exceeded your expectations, and that you enjoyed our facilities and services.
We look forward to welcoming you again at our property.
Best Regards and happy travels.