All reviews family cottage private beach taco shack garden cottage empanadas water beds dirty martini diamond member minute boat ride bunk room captain patrick martini bar veranda restaurant british colonial concierge office beach beds golf cart
Reviewed 12 November 2018 via mobile

I stayed with four friends in early November and was only there for one night. The other ladies stayed for a bit longer. I was admittedly disappointed after reading such wonderful reviews. The staff were extremely friendly and the hotel was beautiful. We also had a great cab driver who works with the hotel, Javier, who drove us from the dock to the hotel when we arrived and who drove us back and forth to town thereafter. However, for the price point, the hotel wasn’t what I expected. Our room wasn’t ready when we arrived at 5:15 PM (we received a complementary drink for the inconvenience), it didn’t have an iron or an ironing board (they delivered it shortly after I mentioned it), it was short on towels (we had a few others sent to our room) and the safe didn’t work. I was also bummed by the breakfast included in our price, which didn’t include any protein aside from a small bit of yogurt. They weren’t able to make any gluten-free accommodations either, which surprised me. Our room was right next to a stagnant water body that attracted lots of bugs. I didn’t notice them inside the room but we all woke up with bug bites all over our faces. I think mosquito nets over the beds would be a great idea. We had them earlier in our trip and loved them. The water situation is also a bit nuts - there’s not potable water so you’ve got to drink bottled water, which you’re required to purchase after, in our case, 1 gallon. We also had in-room water filters earlier in our trip that I think would be perfect here. The property is beautiful and the staff are great but the hotel misses the mark considering the price point.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank bigmountainfan
Edward D, Director of Sales at Mahogany Bay Resort & Beach Club, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2018

Dear bigmountainfan,

Thank you for your very detailed review and rest assured that it will be used as a guide for our ongoing training programmes.

As being a truly Belizean resort, we strive daily to better our levels of service and it is with guests such as you that we are able to continue that growth.

We very much appreciate your visit to the resort and hope we have the chance of welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 8 November 2018

We stayed at Mahogany Bay the end of October, arriving the day they reopened from their seasonal three-week closure. We headed to the private beach mid-day upon arrival and were the only guests there the entire day. Throughout the week we experienced a maximum of 10 guests at the beach at any given time. The beach is lovely, and the service great. So nice to be away from the crowds close to town, and not having to deal with the current sargassum issue on the other side. We were bitten by little sea roaches several times (or whatever they are referred to) when in the water, but they don’t really hurt and you can just flick them off. We utilized the free paddleboards and float mats, and enjoyed the 15-minute ride to the beach from the resort. Due to the time of year, we were even able to enjoy the sunset when going back on the last boat of the day one afternoon. We loved the solitude and quietness of the beach area, but imagine it would be quite a different experience during peak season, especially with the additional rooms opening very soon.

We booked our week stay with Hilton points, and being a Diamond member, were upgraded from the basic King Garden Cottage room to a King Upper Keeping Suite. This ‘room’ had a very spacious layout, with a screened in porch with two comfy chairs and coffee table (where we enjoyed our dinner a couple of nights with food purchased from the little food shacks on the property). The kitchen area was supplied with many pots, pans, bakeware, etc., which we didn’t utilize. There was an electric burner, a small countertop oven (size of a microwave) and coffee pot. You would be able to prepare a basic dinner if you wanted. There was a small fold down table and a long desk type area, but no chairs for those areas, which I found odd. If you were to utilize the kitchen area to cook, you’d have to eat out on the chairs on the porch and use the coffee table. I’m not sure what the purpose was of the fold down table in the kitchen area if there weren’t chairs. The only other minor faults with the accommodation (and not really issues) were the lack of drawer space for clothes. The only drawers were in the night stand. There is a lot of shelving in the desk area, so we just put our clothes on those shelves. Also, the sliding barn door style door from the bed area to the bathroom was off the track in our room so you couldn’t open it all the way. We didn’t bring it to anyone’s attention, but I thought that housekeeping would have eventually reported it to maintenance since it would have been obvious when they were there to clean the room. It was not repaired during our stay, but didn’t impact us negatively. We asked for extra towels each day. Sometimes we received them, sometimes we didn’t, and we didn’t always receive washcloths. It's hard to find room for toiletries in the bathroom as there is no counter space, but we made do. Our unit and the upstairs unit next to us, shared an outdoor light. We would leave it on when we left for dinner, as otherwise, it was quite dark walking up the stairs upon our return. The other guests turned it off multiple times which made it a bit tricky navigating. Again, minor observations… as you can tell, it was hard to find anything wrong! Oh, and the air conditioning worked great. I’d read reviews that stated the rooms wouldn’t cool due to no glass on the windows, but that was not an issue. The beach colonial style of the buildings is very pretty, and the Great House is quite lovely.

The staff at this resort is top notch. Everyone we encountered was extremely pleasant and helpful. A few stated that they loved working at Mahogany Bay and that they were treated very well by management. This is the second Hilton Curio property we’ve stayed at and the staff at both has been exceptional.

We rented a golf cart from the property one afternoon to explore. The price was reasonable, and we didn’t see the need to rent a cart for our entire stay. We drove all the way south, and then headed all the way north and to Secret Beach. Not sure what all the hype is about Secret Beach, unless you are into a party scene instead of tranquility. Mahogany Bay’s beach club is much nicer. Of course, most of the resorts had the sargassum issue so Secret Beach was one of the locations you could get away from it. We only stayed long enough to have a drink, then headed to the Truck Stop, which is a fun little place. We utilized taxis to and from dinner and to get to and from the three sailing / snorkeling trips we took. The front desk was more than accommodating in calling us a taxi, which usually arrived in about 10-15 minutes, and only cost $10 USD each way.

We aren’t ‘pool’ people, but we did have a quick dip in the pool a few times during our weeklong stay. It is set up beautifully, and again due to low season, we were sometimes the only ones there.

We ate breakfast on property each morning and everything we ordered was very tasty. We only had one dinner at the Verandah restaurant, our first night, and it was very good, although slightly pricier than the restaurants we went to in town. That is to be expected at a resort, so it didn’t bother us. Dinner that evening is when I had the most bug bites of our trip. Even though we were inside, my legs got chewed up. My fault for not wearing bug spray that evening. Sine we were inside, I didn’t even think about it. I overapplied bug spray for the rest of the week, and the bugs weren’t too bad. We did see them spraying the foliage around the Great House on the day we departed.

Sorry for the very long review, but I enjoyed reading all of the reviews prior to our trip. If you are on the fence about heading to Mahogany Bay, just do it! I was concerned about it not being right on the beach, but for us it worked out great. We love being on the water, so we were able to get in a boat ride every time we wanted to head to the beach. I’d love to go back some day although I know it won’t be the same, once it has been expanded and the word gets out on what a wonderful place it is.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank KelflyOh
Edward D, Director of Sales at Mahogany Bay Resort & Beach Club, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2018

Dear KelflyOh

Thank you selecting Mahogany Bay Resort and Beach Club as well as spending your week with us. We sincerely enjoyed having you there and hope we have the chance to have you visit us again in the near future.

We also appreciate your detailed review and glad you were able to take advantage of visiting the other areas on Ambergris Caye and variety of food & beverage options that are available as well as the activities that are so abundant around the island.

Thank's again!

Reviewed 8 November 2018

I stayed at this resort in May not long after it opened. I have to say the room set up is the most beautiful thing I've ever stayed at. The beds are comfortable, The showers are made of wood, the air conditioning definitely cooled the room. They have smart tv's and the Wi-Fi worked great. Every window has a screen so if you'd like to open the window you can and the little lizards don't come in. Of course those are just the little things. In the mornings you hear the birds sing. The breakfast provided is delicious. Of course you can also order different foods. The private beach the resort offers was one of my favorite things. My friends and I rented a water bed and were treated like royalty. The employees are so kind and are very much willing to recommend where to go on the island, especially where you should shop for groceries. The hotel offers a golf cart rental at very competitive prices. We got a way better deal than at the hotel than we would have outside. The hotel also offers excursions which are great and the sunset views from the restaurants are breath taking. There was still construction going on when I was there but there were no disturbances. The pool was clean, the food was amazing. I really appreciate everyone who helped my friends and I have a great trip.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Edward D, Director of Sales at Mahogany Bay Resort & Beach Club, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2018

Dear Meander511894

Thank you for your kind words about your visit with us. We sincerely appreciate it and hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 8 November 2018 via mobile

We just returned from 5 days at the resort and had a great time. This resort is far better than most Hilton brand hotels in the region. While it is still being built out, the facilities and staff are exceptional. We stayed in a 3 bedroom family suite that had great space, a full kitchen, and a huge deck to enjoy our morning coffee. But the biggest highlights were the staff - Joe and George at the activities desk recommended a snorkeling tour that our children loved and when we came back looking for more ideas on very short notice they organized a day trip with fishing, snorkeling and a lobster beach bbq. It was amazing. Also, the coffee shop on site, and especially Leidy, was great. The coffee and smoothies were delicious, and Leidy lent my daughter one of the books to read during our stay since it was too long to finish while we were drinking our coffees. The private island was also a hit with the kids, especially the paddle boards and kayaks and the enormous beach and shallow bay. A great resort and more than we expected for such a new resort...we will be back!

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank kmslade

Dear kmslade,

Thank you for chosing Mahogany Bay Resort and Beach Club for your recent family holiday. We are so glad you enjoyed the activities in the destination as well as the food and beverage options. We will make sure that all the team you mentioned know of your kind words. It will be very much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you all back in the very near future

Reviewed 6 November 2018

Not even a year old, this resort is going to attract a well-heeled crowd. The village layout and private island are chic with a laid back style. Cottage rooms are stunning. Staff is warm and friendly!

1  Thank isllandgirl06853

Dear isllandgirl06853,

Thank you for visiting us at Mahogany Bay Resort and Beach Club. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the accommodations, Village and team. We hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the very near future.