New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection

Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Aventura
singapore
“Fall short of expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed here 4 nights for a conference in Feb 2012. Beautiful surroundings, nice rooms, clean and 10 minutes walk to Aventura Mall.
But as a world class 5 star hotel it falls short on expectations, especially for the money paid. Service and friendliness is good but we encountered these issues:
- there was no day curtains in my room. When I told them about it they brought the curtains and left them on a chair while I was out. I called again and they came to hang it up. I left and on return the curtains were up but apparently there was a problem with the track so it could not be drawn. I did not bother to ask them to come again but I thought they should at least have apologize and explain that it may take time to fix. I rate this as very poor service level and had to leave with drawn night curtains throughout my stay.
- the towels and bath mats are clean but showing age - gone trough many washes and no longer pure white. I can live with that in a 3 star hotel but certainly not expected from a 5 star.
- room was very dark and I had to use torch light to see what was was offered in the tea tray - there appears to be a missing lamp near the sofa.
- missing sofa in one of my colleagues' rooms that has the same configuration
- very poor insulation as you can hear very clearly the partying from the pool below. This can go on to 2, 3am in the morning and I was awoken several times in the night.
- there were several other issues that my colleagues had but I can't recall all of them. Suffice to say that most of us experienced some problems.
One positive is that I find the food here good compared to other hotels in Miami where we held conferences.

Room Tip: Facing the pool has a nice view but there may be noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank travelfan_fromAsia
Turnberry-Mgmt, Rooms Divisions Director at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent business trip. We truly strive to provide all of our guests with an experience that rivals premier resorts from around the world and are sad to hear we missed the mark with you. You brought to light some excellent points, which I’ve already addressed with our team. I hope you’ll give me the opportunity to discuss these points further and have sent you a private message so we may connect soon.

Regards,
Adolfo Bolanos
Rooms Division Director
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Polish first
Manhattan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I stay at this hotel every year for a conference and it is consistently excellent. My wife and I were there over the last few days and enjoyed it as usual (very nice rooms, well laid out bathrooms, nice balconies). My wife ordered the Salad Nicoise for in-room dining and was blown away with how good it was. The tuna was perfectly seared and it had been covered with piementon (smokey spanish paprika), instead of green beans there was asparagus, small potatoes (warm), perfectly dressed greens. Went perfectly with a white wine spritzer. So good we ordered a second on our departure day and I got to try it - excellent.

Couple of small points that cause me to rate it less than 5^ (I'ld give it 4.8):
1) at the conference area - avoid the coffee
2) I took my morning coffee from the espresso bar in the center lounge. I ordered an Americano which was good one day but bad the next - took it back and learning that the server had added coffee to the espresso shot - that's why it tasted terrible - had it remade at it was fine

Room Tip: top floors have extra high ceilings
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Douglas, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We loved Turnberry Isle. The accomodations were clean, modern and spacious. The kids pool kept our 5 year old busy all day- water slide, lazy river, large pool with plenty of room for all the kids, toddler wading area/sand box and large hot tub. Pool attendants were attentive, bringing fresh towels, moving umbrellas, there were plenty of chairs. There was poolside service for drinks and lunch. Very family oriented. The restaurants were top notch, although very pricey ($5 for a kids chocolate milk)- The staff was courteous and helpful, although it did take 1 hr to get an extra blanket for my daughter. We also travelled with a 6 week old, they provided a crib, diaper pail and baby toiletries. My 5 year old spent one morning in the kids connection and loved it- they did arts/crafts, watched a movie and picked shells on the beach.
My only disappointment was the beach- it was a short shuttle ride to the beach- the beach was very windy, strong waves. Turnberry Isle only owned a very small piece of beachfront. It took 20 minutes for the attendant to put up an umbrella for us. I wouldn't go there if you are looking for a great beach experience, but lounging poolside was our goal, and we left very pleased and look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Theresa A
Turnberry-Mgmt, General Manager at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thank you for choosing Turnberry Isle Miami for your recent family vacation and for taking the time to post a review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and our world-class amenities including our Laguna Pool and kids program. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

Best Regards,
Douglas Hustad
Managing Director
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Despite the beautiful surroundings, a stay at this resort is disappointing, There are issues with check-in, room quality , bell service and staff service levels. There seems to be a lack of focus on the customer experience. After waiting 45 minutes for a cab at the entrance i finally had enough. My requests to speak to a manager went unanswered. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone who values good service.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank KD77777
Turnberry-Mgmt, Director of Rooms Division at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
We’re disappointed to learn that your stay was less than stellar and can assure you that we’ve addressed your comments with our team. As we’re always looking for ways to improve, we would like the opportunity to discuss your experience further with you and have therefore sent you a private message in the hopes we may connect.

Best Regards,
Adolfo Bolanos
Director of Rooms Division
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

My husband and I and our nine year old son had a wonderful stay at the Turnberry. I am confused as to why several reviewers had trouble with management. The staff here went out of there way to be thoughtful and accomodating during our entire time at the resort. Elle at the front desk made sure we were happy with our room and had us look at several possible room choices. I recommend the Jasmine building which is nearest to the Laguna pool. We had a deluxe golf view room which was over 700 sq. foot, had a lovely contemporary decor, a spacious marble bathroom and french doors leading out to a small terrace. The finishes in the room were all of high quality as was the furniture and bedding. We never had any problem with housekeeping and our room was spotlessly cleaned twice a day. The grounds were meticously kept and we had a wonderful time at the Laguna Pool which is huge and has a waterslide and a lazy river. The staff at the pool couldn't have been nicer and a shout out to Joseph who was so warm and friendly. My son took tennis lessons from Youlian who was terrific and really knows how to coach kids. We had dinner at the Bourbon Steak house one night in the main room and four nights in the club room which serves lighter fare. The food was beyond fantastic. We also enjoyed the Cascadia Grill for breakfast and lunch where Brigitte and Daniel were terrific waiters. I can't say enough about the staff. The only downside I would have to say is the Ocean Beach Club which is due for some renovation and looks a little tired. All in all, would highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hooper3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aventura
0.3 km away
1.6 km away
Hampton Inn Hallandale Beach/Aventura
6.8 km away
Margaritaville Beach Resort

Been to Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK