“This has concreted my love for local dives & pies!”

Pie Heaven Bakery Cafe
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 34
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Owner, master pie baker - Anita Hyde As a kid, my grandmothers kitchen in her shack-like house was my happy place. She created food from her garden and seemed to never use a measuring cup. No wonder that as a young woman, I loved baking. I could easily bake myself happy. That came to an end when the need for "a real job" landed me in a career that lastest over 20 years in commercial insurance. It paid well - but the hours took me out of the kitchen. Finally, God blessed me with a corporate layoff which allowed me a couple of years to find my oven again. The lay-off was a peculiar answer to prayers I'd been praying. You see, I had a very unusual encounter a few years back. Some would call it a vision. I was taken to Heaven and shown a vast banquet for children. There were tables of food and children as far as you could see. An angel told me that all these had died of starvation. Then I was told "YOU! Feed the children and remember Schindler!" So, what do you do with that? Well, I started sending money to missionaries who I knew were aggressively pulling children out of horrid poverty and caring for them, like Heidi Baker. ( Google her....She's like Mother Theresa on steroids.) I knew that I had been asked to make a bigger impact however, so I prayed lots, asking for a business that would open me up to more money, because it takes a lot of money to feed children. It seems that God used my appetite to answer that prayer. I started craving a place to go where I could meet friends for coffee and pie but found no such place exists in my area. I saw this as a need I should fill and began the quest. I then started noticing ingredients labels of grocery store pies. YECH! Hydrogenated oil in everything! That stuff is impossible for the human body to process you know? I came up with a recipe for scratch-made organic pumpkin pie with coconut oil crust. It was out of this world...And realized a big problem. I can't eat all the pie I want to bake. I'd be as big as an elephant! Solution: support my baking habit by selling the pies. And so, my cottage industry "Mrs Hyde's Heavenly Pies" began.. It went well - so well that it grew beyond capacity for my kitchen. After my husband encouraged me to go for it, I started looking for a shop and created Pie Heaven Cafe, LLC. So here I am, owner of a business that will satisfy my craving for pie, quiche, pot pies, pie all day, every day...And truly, more importantly - multiply into such a booming business that I will be like Schindler, a man who saved lives through his business. When I get to Heaven, I hope to see that room full of kids... And know that many of them did NOT die of starvation because of the fruits of Pie Heaven. Of course, this is no one woman show. I am so blessed to have an amazing Mom who is along for the ride and helps me in so many ways. And I am also amazed at my dear friend Linda who I call my God-sent working partner because she is far more than a manager. She comes up with stuff I never think of.
Reviewed 13 July 2015

Okay, I went with my foodie, nutritionist, dietitian daughter...I said snob snob snob. Her siblings are snobs because of the way we feed them. Her 6'5" brother loves shepherds pie, got one, we got margarita key lime pie, chicken pot pie, berry pie, lemon something pie....we totally pied out. End result, don't call Jenny Craig, we didn't eat all of it. Son loved the shepherds pie, odd...but great (he liked something we didn't cook). The margarita key lime is FANTASTIC, the chicken pot pie tonight & the rest I sent home with my married daughter, had to get it out of my zip code. Moral of the story, go. Just do it Us foodies found it to be fabulous!

Reviewed 22 June 2015

I had a slice of the Rhubarb in house! Staff was friendly and inviting. Atmosphere has a touch of sweet southern charm. I took home a peach pie and OH MY GOODNESS! It was fantastic! I cannot wait to finish it off and go back for more!

Reviewed 27 April 2015

The service here is friendly, and I believe it was the owner who greeted and served us, very attentive. The pie was mediocre, and definitely overpriced, we paid 27.00 for 2 slices of pie one with ice cream, 1 cup of coffee, and 2 gluten free carrot whoopee pies( delicious) , yes not a whole pie, 2 slices, I'm all for supporting small business, especially ones with a very friendly owner but I won't go back unless I hit the lottery.

Reviewed 22 November 2014 via mobile

This place rocks! To put it simply, she has the best pies on this side of heaven. My family and I can't wait to try more of their selections.

Pie H, Owner at Pie Heaven Bakery Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2015

You made our day! Thanks for taking the tie to review us with wonderful words.

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

The ladies in a small blue house on Mayport Rd know their pies! The savory pie menu is Chicken Pot pie or Chili Pie and Quiches. Most people get takeout but they do have a few tables. Four of us shared a whole chicken pie which was 6 large wedges. It's was amazing & we polished off every bite. Service was good. We took dessert pie slices home & loved them too. Favorites were apple and orange sunshine pie. We'll be back for chili pie!