“Closest to Heaven you can get....in Florida!!”
other travellers have booked this property
Enjoy the gorgeous sunsets over Grasshopper Lake
Secluded, cozy, and romantic hand-crafted rustic cabin in the Ocala National Forest near Orlando Open great room with high ceilings and wood-burning stove/fireplace
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Enjoy the gorgeous sunsets over Grasshopper Lake
Open great room with high ceilings and wood-burning stove/fireplace
Hand-crafted cedar kitchen
King-size bed with hand-crafted cedar headboard
Firepit in front of the cabin
Back porch with gas grill and firewood
Beware of attack bear!
The view from the living room
Write your novel here!
Come on in to a cozy, warm 'palace in the woods'
SIt on the porch and watch the Sand Cranes
Screened porch with comfy outdoor seating
Follow the grey/red brick road...
Large front porch for relaxing
Shaded by tall sand pines
A view of the cabin from the dock
Out the front door to an 'unpopulated' chain of lakes
Burl-wood coffee table - OK to put your feet up!
Comfortable sitting area in living room
Cypress floors, sand pine walls and ceiling
Cedar litchen with all appliances
Talavera sink in bathroom
Bathroom with full-size tub and shower
Super-comfy bed!
The view from the bedroom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Scarlett...
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Closest to Heaven you can get....in Florida!!”
Reviewed 23 October 2015 for a stay in August 2015
people found this review helpful

My 1st visit to Grasshopper Lake Lodge was several years ago....I Googled "secluded vacation rental Florida" & it popped up...along with many others that turned out to NOT live up to their description!
I had grown accustomed to being disappointed with the alleged "private getaways", but from the moment we arrived I knew we had found what we had been searching for!
A beautiful cabin with everything you could need for a couple or small family!
The surrounding forest & peaceful spot on the lake just recharge your batteries!

Every morning we wake to the sounds of songbirds greeting the new day. Then the tough choices...do we go for an early morning hike, hoping to spot some deer or a black bear?
Or should we take the kayak or the new canoe, out for the morning bass & bluegill bite?
Should we leave the comfort of the cabin to explore the springs & Ocala National Forest?
Most times we choose to never leave. We bring all our provisions & once Doris hands us the keys, we just lock the gate & settle in and feel as though there is no one else in the world!!

We have stayed at this cabin in spring and summer. My husband's past 3 birthdays have been spent at Grasshopper Lake. In August we must rise early & get in our activities before the heat of the day. But that's when it's wonderful to take a nap & listen to afternoon rains.
In the cooler months, we enjoy the wood stove or the firepit in the yard! Very cozy!

I have caught fish off the dock in my pajamas with my morning coffee & returned at sunset to fish some more with my glass of wine!

The cabin is just beautiful & the 1st thing you will notice upon entering , is the wonderful cedar aroma from the wood of the cabin! It fills up your senses.! The king sized bed is extremely comfortable & we have enjoyed both , the deck with overhead ceiling fans, as well as the screened-in porch when the bugs are biting.

Wildlife around the cabin is often abundant , & we have spotted deer, turkey, otter, alligator, sandhill cranes, bald eagles, osprey, and hawks.
The best times have been when we spotted black bear. Once, in June on the trail , a mother with 2 cubs & twice on the lake...a bear on shore & one swimming!

I am so grateful that a place like this exists, so that we can get a break from our hectic , city lives . We can go there to kick back, relax, and get in tune with unspoiled nature!!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: privacy...no one around to disturb the peace
Liked least: when the biting insects are abundant
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
29 Oct 2015
Thanks Scarlett! I think you are the most authoritative reviewer, since you have stayed there the most of anyone! Keep coming back - the cabin misses you!
Kandi K
“The PERFECT spot to vibe with nature!!!”
Reviewed 23 October 2015 for a stay in August 2015
person found this review helpful

Words, pictures, videos - none of it can even come close to sharing our Ocala area experience! You REALLY, REALLY HAVE to do this if you are in the area or going to be looking for something in the area.

For us this was all kind of a nonchalant event that kind of happened. My friend and I were talking about an article or something on FB that someone shared showing & rating the natural springs in Florida. We are beach bums that live in South Florida. I am from Tennessee (like in the back of the woods girl) and she is OBSESSED with bears. No girl, like OBSESSED! Somehow we were looking for a little, cute B&B or something in the area just to do some hiking and maybe a few springs. I found Grasshopper Lodge and INSTANTLY fell in love! It reminded me SO, SO much of where I grew up even though it's over 1000 miles away! Not only did I not know there was ANYTHING like that down here - I had NO CLUE what I was in store for!

David answered all of my questions and gave me suggestions as well. All of the instructions were perfect and Doris was just a little peach! The drive in is a little (ok a LOT) rough and, for us, covered in water. I cannot stress the importance of a SUV/Jeep!!! Oh - and just a heads up - the stove/oven is gas and my friend and I just looked at each other blankly. LOL My grandma always cooked on gas but she had to light it and I never understood that concept AT ALL so I was terrified at first. Turns out - you just (gasp) turn it on! It works just like anything else. I thought that was quite comical although embarrassing!!

The place is amazing! Gorgeous as you could even imagine. Rustic and homey. I immediately felt comfortable. Like I was visiting my dads house. IF you find a need to watch TV there are two flat screen TVs. I think we turned one on once for some background noise but stuck w/music most of the time, which he has an aux adapter to plug your phone/ipod/etc into the stereo system. Usually nature wins out though yanno?

In the area there are some AMAZING things to do. We hiked, went to Juniper and Alexander Springs which I mean you HAVE to do. We canoed through them and saw gators, otters and bears! We even swam with an otter in the swimming area of Alexander Springs (my favorite of the two). Beware! The water is FREEEEEZING but soo, sooo worth it! Clearest water I've EVER seen!

So I guess what I'm saying is - I love it! I plan to go back in a few months w/more friends.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Quiet and private.
Liked least: That I had to leave!?!?
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 35-49
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Management Response
29 Oct 2015
Thanks Kandi! Loved your journal entry, Facebook photos, and YouTube video, too! You've definitely got the joy! Come back soon!
cptahab67...
Tampa, Florida
“Excellent Getaway”
Reviewed 9 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

A great place to get away from it all! Didn't see another human being our entire stay. The peace and quiet were great and the campfire evening was excellent. Will certainly be back!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Peace and quiet.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Joanne J
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
“almost broke my heart to leave this place!”
Reviewed 6 August 2015 for a stay in July 2015

I cannot sing the praises of Grasshopper lodge enough. I felt at home, I wanted find a way to make it mine, I wanted to stay there until, I was down to my last grain of rice. in short.......
I LOVED IT!!!! as welcoming as staying in your best friends home. I plan on making this a yearly event, no doubt!!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the lovely view from the living room
Liked least: capsizing the kayak (totally my lack of skills!)
Travelling group: Solo
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing