Open today: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Super Fun

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Lisanne10n
via mobile

All reviews took pictures creek park scenery ride horses safety trail
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

What a fantastic way to spen an afternoon!!! The stables are in Cherry Creek Park. Riders spent an hour and a half riding through the park. The scenery is gorgeous and the horses are amazing. I rode Bella. She is a great horse. She is very gentle and listens well. The staff at the stables are amazing as well. They are so nice and so accommodating. I’m looking forward to riding with them again.

Reviewed 27 August 2018

We took visiting relatives from Britain and had a great time. For most, it was their first time on a horse. The staff was really fabulous in getting them settled in on their horses and feeling comfortable about the event. We had a lovely ride through the Cherry Creek Park, saw deer and coyotes, and some great scenery. The horses were responsive and very well trained. Safety was paramount.

Reviewed 14 August 2018

My family and I had a good time going on a 1 hour trail ride at 12 Mile Stables. The trail ride is good for anyone - from experienced riders that just want to enjoy the scenery on horseback to novices who have never ridden before. The guides are friendly and the horses are gentle and well behaved.

1  Thank BobandRobin63
Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

If you have ever ridden a horse before (even just “trail horses,”) I would not recommend 12 Mile Stables. If you have never been on a horse before, then this would be a good place to start.
We were a party of four and none of us were impressed by this experience. Would have been nice to know in advance (especially on the website) that you are required to pay the $9 fee to get into the park AND that because of the dog park it could take an extra 10-30 minutes just to get into the park. We still arrived about 10 minutes prior to our scheduled 2-hour ride. We were signed in and still ready before 2pm. There were two more scheduled at our tour time and because of the dog park, they were very late to arrive. So our 2pm tour did not leave until 2:20pm.
Our guide, Kristen (we think that was her name, she never really told us her name, nor did she try to learn our names) was actually the worst part of the trip. She was not a people person and may have tried to be friendly, but definitely did not meet our expectations. She was extremely critical of ever little thing and was not good with her delivery when trying to tell someone they were not doing it right.
Another thing that didn’t sit well with our group was the “new” horse she was trying to break in... the area was already flat and a little boring, but the guide horse was not ready for a 2 hour tour with 6 paying customers. If you want to break in a new horse, don’t do it on my dime.
The worst part for me is that I paid by credit card and was given the opportunity to tip prior to our ride. That seemed most convenient, so I chose to tip 18% (the lowest amount available - no custom tip option). 30 minutes into our ride, I was displeased that I had already tipped. I would have chosen something more like a 10% tip (I always tip and tip very well for great service).
I would not recommend this place to anyone, nor will I bring my business here again. I will gladly drive further and pay more for a more incredible experience.

3  Thank Jenn P
Reviewed 7 July 2018

My daughter and I hail from Texas, and we like to find a nice place to ride whenever we visit Colorado. This was our first ride at 12 Mile and we will definitely be back! Wranglers were highly knowledgeable, highly accommodating, super sweet and plenty friendly. They made us feel welcome and at home. At some point during the ride, my phone fell out of my back pocket and I just sucked it up as a loss because really, it shouldn't have been back there in the first place. My fault. No sooner had I casually mentioned I lost my phone, our youngest wrangler (who was my own child's age !!!) immediately sprang into action and that baby went back to find my phone! And she found it! I couldn't believe it. Epic save. She was wonderful, and I'm ever grateful. Thank you 12 Mile staff. We look forward to visiting next summer!

1  Thank Yeahaboutthat T
Reviewed 29 May 2017

My daughter's dream had been to ride a horse, so I took her here during our visit to Colorado. It was great fun! Having never ridden a horse before, we were a little nervous. But the staff were all very nice and patient. They gave clear instructions and helped us along the whole way. At the end, I had left my phone in the car so couldn't take pictures. And the staff took pictures and texted them to me! They were great!

The only downside was that I had no idea that Cherry Creek State Park had multiple entrances, which wasn't clear when I called to make reservations. So I initially went in the wrong entrance and spent 10 minutes in the park looking for the stables. Finally, went back to the entrance for directions and that's when they told me I'd come in the wrong entrance. Luckily we had arrived early anyways, so didn't lose too much time. Plus we got to see more of the park than originally anticipated!

Reviewed 26 April 2017

Was at the stable as I am in town on business and they gave me "Pip" which was the biggest horse there. I would say a Clydesale size horse!!! Very loveable!!! I wanted to do a 2 hour ride after the 1 hour ride and the park attendant said the lot was full. I had told him that I was for the stable and he didnt budge. So I lost out on spending more time with Pip!!

Reviewed 3 August 2015

The place doesn't GPS by address. I wasn't expecting the mandatory guide fee that wasn't previously mentioned or listed anywhere upping the cost $70. The trail was flat and slow going, fine for a first-timer, but pretty uninspiring. The scenery was mostly people walking their dogs in the neighboring park. I wouldn't go back.

1  Thank S K
Reviewed 29 June 2015

While visiting Denver in late June, my 11 year old daughter and I wanted to go on a trail ride. We are both experience western style riders, but we understand that a trail ride is just that. We weren't expecting to trot or canter, so we were not disappointed in the pace of the ride.

First, the 12 Mile Stable website did not clearly state that a park entrance fee ($9) was required since the stables are located inside of Cherry Creek State Park. The website also wasn't clear about a $2 charge per rider if paying with a credit card. When I suggested they make these charges more visible, the employee only charged $30 per rider instead on $35. Kudos for trying to work that kink out.

Next, we arrived at the suggested 20 minute prior time from our scheduled 4:00 pm ride. Our one hour ride did not begin until 4:23. Once the ride began, we had to stop for one of the employees to catch up due to an uncooperative horse. The other employee reassured us the waiting time wouldn't count towards our tour time.

Finally, the tour actually began at 4:30. The trail was mostly a flat surface through natural grass and grain lands and very little shade. The scenery was beautiful and Pike's Peak was just visible in the distance, but the ride was somewhat boring. The two employees on the trail ride made pleasant conversation and the horses appeared to be well maintained. However, the trail ride ended at 5:15, so it was 45 minutes instead of the 1 hour on the website description.

Overall positives: beautiful scenery, pleasant trail guides, pleasant horses
Overall negatives: unexpected park entrance fees, late start, shortened ride length

I would not visit 12 Mile Stables again for a 1 hour trail ride

6  Thank D B D
Reviewed 6 May 2015

We've been riding at 12 Mile stables for the past year. We've had a wonderful experience every time! My son has enjoyed the week long summer camps and we've all done trail rides as a family. I would highly recommend this stable to anyone. It is very obvious they truly care about the horses, safety and clients. Wonderful place!