All reviews wine and cheese frank lloyd wright other guests hot tub roaring fire small hotel fresh pastries every afternoon few blocks excellent breakfast aspen mountain comfortable rooms great room top floor shannon skiing cereal
Reviewed 10 September 2006

We booked a 3 night stay direct with the Hearthstone House in Apsen, CO on a vacation from the UK. This hotel is in a good central location but beware the rooms are very very small. The website describes them as spacious accomodations with views of Aspen mountain. We were given a very small queen room with views of trees and another building.

We complained to the hotel manager and after lengthy debate were given a refund and booked into the Molly Gibson Lodge which was much nicer.

Overall, I think the manager is reasonable, the hotel is in a great location and if you don't mind not having enough room to store your suitcase without falling over it when going to the bathroom then this may be for you, but not for us!

Date of stay: August 2006
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank gleakey
Reviewed 8 August 2006

A wonderful mixture of old world sophistication and modern lines, I love this lodge. Wine and cheese at 5PM stimulates conversation with guests, the breakfast is wonderful, the furnishings are relaxing. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a cool place to stay without spending a lot of money.

Date of stay: August 2006
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank zepherryl
Reviewed 30 June 2006

Located near the main part of town, the Hearthstone House is within walking distance of shopping and restaurants. We were met by friendly staff and were led to our upstairs room. The rustic decor was clean and comfortable. Then came nightfall. The sound of heavy traffic (buses) and loud voices echoed through our room late into the night. Once things settled down, the cool mountain breezes came through our window and our sleep was sound. A good "serve yourself" breakfast gave us the energy to continue our journey.

Date of stay: June 2006
1  Thank 1coolnana
Reviewed 5 December 2005

I travel to Aspen at least 4 times a year and have stayed at quite a few hotels, but I always stay at the Hearthstone House when it's available. It is such a beautiful place to stay! The house has 16 very comfortable rooms with nice beds, lots of windows, down comforters, and Aveda products. It also has Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired architecture and a beautiful library, and they offer a delicious breakfast and wonderful wine and cheese hour in the late afternoon. The location CANNOT be beat - it is in the heart of Aspen and within walking distance to absolutely everything - the great restaurants, shops and ski areas. The staff is so friendly and accommodating and will happily make reservations for dinner and give recommendations on where to go and what to do. And it is SO reasonably priced - it allows most people to enjoy Aspen and not "break the bank" by doing so! My husband and I absolutely LOVE the Hearthstone House - we always recommend it to friends who are traveling to Aspen, and we wouldn't want to stay anywhere else!

Date of stay: July 2005
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
12  Thank TheRealMC
Reviewed 23 September 2005

I stayed here in the off-season on a solo trip to Aspen. While my standard queen room was pretty small and tucked into a corner, it was comfortable, very clean, and had small nice touches, including Aveda products, free internet access, breakfast, and a great robe! This hotel isn't large and is very similar to a bed and breakfast. The staff was very nice and I felt very safe (important when traveling solo as a woman). I would definitely recommend it to anyone traveling alone or who wants a good hotel for a good price. It's not luxurious but it's not barebones either. And that's the hardest type of place to find, especially in a resort town.