“Charming”

Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Aspen
Edinburgh
“Charming”
Reviewed 30 January 2007

I stayed here for 10 days in December. This is a charming place. I was in the Cooper Street Lofts which are adjacent to the lodge. The owner is a lovely lady who has been in Aspen for many years. This is however not a modern place and is a little on the quirky side - which I liked but others may not. The rooms in the Cooper Street Lofts are large and functional. The mezzanine levels referred to on the site are really mezzanine sleeping platforms with a floor to ceiling height of only about 40 inches, if that. However good sized accomodation and good pricing for Aspen.
There is no permanent presence by the staff at the lodge but then to be honest there is no need.
The place is just opposite the bus stop for the free shuttle buses to the various mountains around ASpen and only 10 minutes walk from Aspen Mountain (Ajax) lift itself. It is a great location. The owner is very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — It is a very friendly place
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Phliadelphia, Pa.
Reviewed 13 January 2005

I first stayed at the Snow Queen in 1980, I was out skiing and wanted to stay longer than I booked. I was having fun, it was a world cup week and there wasn't much to pick from. I had already gone to the airport to leave, turned around and got in a shuttle back to Aspen. I was making many a pay phone calls, (before cell phones), some booking service person told me to try the Snow Queen. Norma put me in a dorm room with a couple of teenagers for two nights. I was then given space in a room with a mother and daughter. The next year I was back, with my own room. I have gone with girlfriends, my children, and granddaughter. This year I will be joining my son and his girl, it's his second year with the X-games week. My daughter and her husband with their 4 month old is coming also. Norma has built the Cooper Street Lofts just for folks like us, families that are growing and returning. The space is fab., I'm a restaurant owner and chef in Phliadelphia, my son-in-law in Charlotte. We always have Norma and her husband Don over for dinner or take them out. The lofts has room to entertain with a fireplace and full size kitchen. They do have rooms in the Lodge that is still for two or more. The location is perfect, no car is needed, even though there are parking spots for the guests. Norma and her twin sister, who has The little red Ski House next door, have been in Aspen from the begining, they were the Toni Twins. Yep the ones with the perms, "which one has the perm or the natual curls)? Staying with Norma has been like being a part of the history of Aspen. The year of the 50th anniversity was a party week, that was the opening of Little Nell's lift. The Book of Aspen has the whole story..with women like Norma that took a risk.

3 Thank Carman119
sqlodge, Manager at Snow Queen Lodge, responded to this review, 29 December 2011
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I know it's been a while since you wrote about us but I wanted you to know that we appreciate hearing from you. It's wonderful to hear from our loyal guests and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

David Ledingham, Manager