“Very St. Regis...except for the rooms”

The St. Regis Aspen Resort
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Aspen
Tokyo, Japan
“Very St. Regis...except for the rooms”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I had a so-so two night-stay at the St. Regis Aspen last month. The trip was disappointing, not mainly due to the hotel though, but because of the weather. It was warm, there wasn't much snow and certain areas of the base of the mountains were just puddles, making it difficult to enjoy the skiing. The hotel though was fine but as I will explain later on, I have never seen such terrible interior designing in any hotel, including hotel chains usually perceived of lower standards.

I got in from LA at around 10am and was met by a hotel representative at Aspen airport. The hotel shuttles guests to and from the airport without charge. Ten minutes and almost an accident later, we arrived at the hotel. The lobby has a nice ski cottage feel with a large seating area and a fireplace. The lady at check-in informed me that the usual check-in time was at 3pm and my room would not be ready until then. It wasn't a problem though since I already had plans to hit the slopes immediately upon arrival. Now, I actually emailed the hotel a couple of weeks before to explain to them that since my room might not be ready upon arrival, I asked if they have a changing room, to which they replied "yes". Wonderful! Well, upon check-in I asked where the changing room is and she explained that it is just around the corner and added that I could also use the one in the spa but they are much smaller. So I went to the one “around the corner”. As it turned out, this "changing room" is just a regular bathroom. So I had to use the handicapped bathroom to change, sorry!
So after leaving my suitcases with the hotel, and a quick trip to the rentals, which is just across the street from the hotel, it was off to the slopes!!! The hotel is pretty conveniently located in the town. It is not exactly on the main thoroughfare where the shops and restaurants are but it is a nice 5-10 minute walk pass the ice rink and a McDonald’s. The hotel is also a 5 minute walk to the gondola of Aspen mountain. Very convenient indeed.

After a full day of skiing, the staff greeted me warmly back at the hotel and the ski concierge at the rental office kindly held my skis and boots for another day of skiing the next day. At that point, I was just dying for a hot bath. At first glance, the room was very impressive. The recently renovated room was beautifully designed as you can see from the pictures. It was simple yet has a very home feel to it. The bed was heavenly and it was perfect to recharge for some more skiing the next day. Looking around, I knew it was going to be a good stay. Then as time goes by, I began to see some critical flaws in the room. It started with the closet. It looked like the usual double-door closet but as it turned out, one half was the closet and the other was some sort of ventilation duct. It was so small that the usual amenities such as safe deposit box, bathrobes, and laundry bags were all stacked, albeit neatly, on top of each other. And this duct made loud noises at irregular intervals which were a bother. Also, as you can see from the bathroom, the walls were scattered with handle bars or towel bars, which I thought was bizarre. I mean even accessible rooms do not have this many bars. Now the bathtub has what I think was a seat. Now when the seat was down, all was good but I couldn’t fold it up since the towel bars were behind. I had to improvise to take a bath but on one occasion, the seat came down with a bang which was slightly disconcerting after that. Then, I realized that there wasn’t a rubbish bin in the bathroom which was a first for me in a hotel. I had to compromise and place the bin from the room into the bathroom. After skiing, nothing feels better than a hot bath and I couldn’t during my stay because the water would only go as far as lukewarm and since it was slow to fill up, by the time it was full, it was cold again.

Apart from my gripes with the room, the staffs at the hotel were friendly throughout unlike some of the comments from other reviewers and the location was perfect in my opinion. But would I stay again at this hotel at the current price point, probably not.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Publius28
hotel1Aspen, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Valued St. Regis Aspen Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and observations regarding your recent stay at The St. Regis Aspen Resort. While it sounds as though you had a good stay for the most part, I would like to apologize for the shortcomings and challenges you experienced with regards to your room and check-in. I am sorry that you were not provided with a better alternative than the restrooms for you to be able to change in so that you could go skiing after your arrival. I would also like to offer my apologies that you were not able to fully enjoy a hot soak upon your return from a day on the slopes given the fact that you were in a handicap accessible room.

I am, however, pleased to hear that you enjoyed the services of our staff, including the ski valets.

I do hope the next time your travels bring you to Aspen that you will consider staying with us once again where you will have our commitment for a more enjoyable stay. Please do not hesitate to reach out to my office if there is anything that may assist you with.

S. Geray,General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Boston, Ma
Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

This hotel should be sold and reopened as something else. The staff really doesn't "get" it. I was instantly underwhelmed by the lack of service all around. There were only a few Americans on staff, and with our unemployment problem, it really put a bad taste in my mouth when everyone at the hotel answered me in a south African or Australian accent. The rooms were ok, similar to a Westin but with no coffee maker... also the hot tub was about a 200 feet walk from the lobby, outside! really a waste of money here.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank gayokwithme
hotel1Aspen, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Dear Valued St. Regis Aspen Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your recent stay. We are sorry to hear that you felt there was a lack of service all around. We would certainly be interested in receiving more detailed feedback from you, if you were so inclined, by contacting our executive offices at the hotel.

Aspen, being a very popular resort destination, attracts both visitors and residents alike from all over the world. This diversity makes not only The St. Regis Aspen, but the entire town, a very unique and diverse place to experience.

Hopefully we may welcome you back at another time, where you will have our commitment for a more enjoyable stay.

Thornhill
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I wanted to take the time to thank the entire team at St. Regis in Aspen. Most notably, Therese and Miguel at the front desk, and Silvia the Reservations Manager.

Our group of 4 were on a ski trip and the accommodations, advice and mere presence to provide excellent customer service was Unprecedented.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jason a
Dear Valued St. Regis Aspen Guest,

Thank you so much for the recognition you have given to the entire staff here at The St. Regis Aspen Resort for the excellent customer service they provided to you during your recent stay. And thank you as well for specifically recognizing the two associates at the front desk and our reservations manager. They truly do epitomize what St. Regis is all about and it will be a pleasure for me to share your comments not only with them, but with the entire team.

We look forward to having you here with us once again.

Warm regards,
Sao Paulo
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed four days at the St. Regis and really enjoyed it. We had a very nice room, very confortable. The service was great and didn't have any problems. Housekeeping was done promptly when we asked for it. Breakfast was disapointing and really expensive if we consider the variety. Loved the bar and the service, lovelly piano and music.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniela_GSaoPaulo
Dear Valued St. Regis Aspen Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, including the service and all the amenities we have to offer. I am, however, disappointed to hear that you found breakfast to be lacking. Please be aware that your comments have been duly noted and we appreciate your feedback.

I hope you will visit again soon--we would welcome the opportunity to have you as our guests once more.

New York
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We visit the St. Regis Aspen every year (back to when it was a Ritz Carlton property), so you're probably wondering why we keep returning to this hotel given that we're only giving it 3-stars. Two words - Aspen and Starwood! The town, 4 mountains, and easy airport are an unbeatable combination. And, as Starwood Platinum members we get some nice extras; without these we'd stay at The Little Nell.

The hotel just underwent a significant (and badly needed) renovation, and the rooms are now excellent. Unfortunately, the restaurant is still very subpar, especially given the high prices. The dinner menu is very limited and the food is more like what you'd expect at a Sheraton. The WiFit reception is terrible and the pool and fitness areas are undersized for the property. Finally, versus other high end resorts the St. Regis could do a better job storing/retrieving skis every day.

This hotel has so much potential, but alas, like the New York Jets or Knicks it perennially underperforms. The new renovation has given them a great opportunity to bring the rest of the hotel up to similar standards.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ryetopians
Dear Returning St. Regis Aspen Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments and observations regarding your recent stay at The St. Regis Aspen Resort.

We appreciate the fact that you are a very repeat guest and are very thankful for your continued business.

While we are pleased to hear that you like the renovations, we are sorry that you have found other areas of the resort to be lacking. We do apologize for any shortcomings you experienced during your stay.

Regarding the restaurant, you will be pleased to hear that we are in the midst of preparations to open a new restaurant in our resort, Chefs Club by FOOD & WINE, which is expected to be open late spring/early summer. We are very excited to be a part of this new venue and hope that we may welcome you back at another time where you may have the opportunity to experience it for yourself.