Rainbow Trout Ranch
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Antonito
See available hotels
The Hotel(Chama)
  • Free Internet
Y Motel(Chama)
View Hotel
All reviewsrainbow troutthe van berkum familyhorseback ridingfly fishingline dancingfamily vacationevening activitiescowboy singersing alongsserved family styledavid and janewhite water raftinglog cabins areother guestsconejos riversouthern coloradoamazing scenery
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 April 2017

This review is long overdue. We visited in September 2016 during the adults only time. The riding experience was wonderful. The horses were solid and we felt very secure riding them. The fishing was outstanding. In one afternoon my companion caught 17 trout! He went there to fly fish but enjoyed the riding so much he rode every morning and fished every afternoon while I usually rode both times.

The weather was great. Sitting on the porch at the beautiful lodge was relaxing...and what a view. The food was great home cooking and we met the most wonderful guests there. I can truly see why everyone raves about this place. Jane and David head up a well run riding program while you can't help but feel Doug's passion for the old west. And Linda made us feel so welcome. BTW, they never forget your name from the time you arrive until you leave. It may sound a bit corny but you really feel like part of the family.

Going to a dude ranch was never on my list of vacations but that has completely changed. I have told all my friends that if they ever have the opportunity they must come to RTR. We have so many fond memories of this trip but my favorites were riding thru the Aspen Cathedral and standing by bridge over the Conejos watching the horses run out to pasture at the end of the day. If you fly into Albuquerque you must drive thru Georgia O'Keefe country on your way bake. It was incredible to us easterners who had never seen this scenery before. We are looking forward to a return trip here.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Winddancer19
rainbowtroutrch, Owner at Rainbow Trout Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2017

Thank you so much for this lovely review. We truly love what we do and consider sharing the western traditions and this spectacular scenery a privilege. We look forward to seeing you here again!

Reviewed 30 March 2017

I was referred to Rainbow Trout Ranch through my family who invited me to go out with them. When they were describing the experience, I figured I'd give it a try and step out of my comfort zone a bit. Turns out it was one of the best weeks of my life. I did everything I possibly could in the week we were there and enjoyed every second. The staff was incredibly friendly and personable, the food was delicious and plentiful, you meet some interesting people from all over the world and the activities are well taught by the knowledgeable wranglers that work there. I will definitely be coming back this summer.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Ryan S

Ryan thank you taking the time to review the ranch. We SO enjoyed your being here and we look forward to riding and having fun with you again this summer. Keep well and Happy Trails!

Reviewed 12 February 2017

This summer we will return for our tenth trip to RTR for our biannual family reunion. There are programs for the kids, horseback riding for those that ride and fishing for the rest of our crew. There's something for everyone to do - from when grandkids were toddlers to now when we have more teens. The staff are wonderful and go out of their way to welcome and accommodate guests. Once our family found RTR for our reunions, we've never wanted to go anywhere else.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank NancysTrips

Dear Nancy--what lovely words. Your family has truly become our own after all these years and we love you guys! Can't wait to catch up again this summer :)

Reviewed 2 February 2017

I can't say enough good things about our fabulous experiences at RTR. We've been several times now and it's a vacation we treasure every time. Staff are friendly and work HARD to make sure you have a great vacation. There are activities for the kids as well as plenty of family fun activities. Riding really nice horses through amazing scenery (sometimes even seeing elk) is something I will never forget. I haven't yet been able to get my husband on a horse, but he raves about the fly fishing on the ranch and in surrounding areas. The food is yummy and plentiful and served in the most amazing lodge. Just fabulous.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Tarheelontheroad

Thank you so much for this delightful review. It is a true honor to be able to have that lodge -- it was completed in 1926 and we are still amazed at the magnitude and the work it took without any modern day tools. It is the heart and soul of the ranch and having families like yours gather there each day and week and year is just such a privilege. Thank you again for taking the time to write!

Reviewed 25 September 2016

I ride, and He fishes. I had the best riding experience I have ever had - and that under-rates it, and Himself the best fishing with superb coaching and his very first brown trout. Add to the mix wonderfully comfortable accommodation, superb food, and the most amazing scenery and lovely people - if you ride, or fish, or trek, go and share our experience. This was a dude ranch with individual - genuine - log cabins all centred around a huge barn for entertainment, eating, or just sitting and relaxing around the log fire.

Room Tip: Go for Cougar or similar
Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank julie p
rtrjane, Owner at Rainbow Trout Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2017

Dear Julie--We so loved having you both here. Thank you so much for writing this lovely review. For us, this is what it is all about--making memories and having delightful people like you share the ranch with us. We very much hope to see you here again sometime! ~~ Jane.