See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Room was okay, no bugs, sheets were clean, bath okay....
Nothing fancy, or even "quaint" or "quirky".
Really odd set up for advertised pool: you get a key to walk over a block or so to an old abandoned motel, let yourself in through the locked padlocked gate and use the pool there.
Breakfast of eggs, meat, homefries, and toast in diner next door is included. That was a plus.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HoppyGirl
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The rate that was advertised on the website is not what we were charged. We were offered no breakfast vouchers, but yet when we ate at Rockies, the restuarant attached to the motel, several people were coming in with vouchers for breakfast. We we told that because of the Car show, the rates were higher and the management did not offer breakfast. When confronted the manager of Asian decent went crazy on us, we are a family of 5, with three children under 7. No ice, crib that they offered was recalled. Pillows very thin, stains on bed spreads.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank 501MSteele
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I decided to stay at the Lamplighter to get a flavor of the 50-60s style places that I use to stay at on my travels to and from Phoenix. The room was clean and everything worked well. It is not fancy motel, more of a Motel 6 style room. The price was decent and the free breakfast the following morning was very good.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ringo515
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed at the Lamplighter numerous times but not for several years. This was our last stay. The towels were thin (Bounty paper towels absorbed more - and that's what I used!) and 1 bath towel was totally ragged along the edge. The owner should be embarrased to have them in the room. Splotchy paint or spackle covered cracks in the bathroom and the carpet was threadbare.
The other problem is you have to leave the wall switch in the ON position for the fridge to work, and turn individual lights on/off. That wouldn't have been a problem except the chain to turn the light on over the table was so short I had to climb on a chair to reach it - and I'm 5'8". We found this out immediately upon checking into the room and went to the office for a fix. A piece of chain or string would fix the issue. The clerk contacted the owner and we never heard from anyone again. So much for service!
We won't be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marilyn W
Reviewed 24 July 2012

For an inexpensive motel, you can't ask for much more. No, not a luxury place, but the rooms are clean and it's actually pretty cool how they have the cool old light fixtures over the beds. The rooms are nice, with a fridge and a microwave. Everything you really need. The AC units work, though it's pretty cool at night there most of the time. I'm really glad we took the advice of other posters and stayed there.

But, the great part! The people are awesome. We stayed on a Thursday and returned on our way back home on Monday. I'd left a prescription bottle in the room. I was sure that was the last I'd see of it, but I asked at the desk when we came back and they had it there waiting for me! Really awesome.

Oh! And the free breakfast!! Wow! That beats the heck out of a mini-muffin and instant coffee. That's a real meal that gets you down the road on a full belly and plenty of coffee. You really have to factor that into the cost, and when you do, it turns a good deal into a smokin' deal!

We'll make this trip once a year, and I guarantee the Lamplighter will be our stopover point.

Room Tip: They'll put you in a first floor room if they have one. Makes it easier to load in. We stayed in the main building. Don't know what the other building is like, but it has the pool. We'll try it when my daughter makes the trip with us.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family