See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 July 2012

For an inexpensive motel, you can't ask for much more. No, not a luxury place, but the rooms are clean and it's actually pretty cool how they have the cool old light fixtures over the beds. The rooms are nice, with a fridge and a microwave. Everything you really need. The AC units work, though it's pretty cool at night there most of the time. I'm really glad we took the advice of other posters and stayed there.

But, the great part! The people are awesome. We stayed on a Thursday and returned on our way back home on Monday. I'd left a prescription bottle in the room. I was sure that was the last I'd see of it, but I asked at the desk when we came back and they had it there waiting for me! Really awesome.

Oh! And the free breakfast!! Wow! That beats the heck out of a mini-muffin and instant coffee. That's a real meal that gets you down the road on a full belly and plenty of coffee. You really have to factor that into the cost, and when you do, it turns a good deal into a smokin' deal!

We'll make this trip once a year, and I guarantee the Lamplighter will be our stopover point.

Room tip: They'll put you in a first floor room if they have one. Makes it easier to load in. We stayed in the main building. Don't know what the other building is like, but it has the pool. We'll try it when my daughter makes the trip with us.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Ed C
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We booked two rooms for two nights so we could ride the Rio Grande Scenic Railway's concert train. We loved the fact that after parking our car at the motel Friday evening, we didn't need it again until we checked out Sunday morning. The railroad was just two blocks away, a top-rated restaurant across the block, and the scenic riverwalk along the Rio Grande was just a few minutes' walk.

Yes, the motel is old and showing wear. But it was built to last. The brick and concrete block walls mean the rooms are quiet. The mattress looked new and felt great. Downsides are that the towels are small and thin and that you have to be careful with the light switches not to cut power to the mini fridge and microwave, but there is clear signage in the room to that effect.

The clerk in the office was friendly, courteous, and helpful. We were pleasantly surprised that the tickets for the free breakfast next door actually provided a well-prepared, substantial meal: two eggs; ham, sausage, or bacon; hashbrowns, toast, and coffee.

There are many newer motels on the outskirts of town, but none that provide the Lamplighter's combination of value and location for people who plan to ride the train.

Room tip: If you want access to the swimming pool, get a room in the annex, which is four or five blocks west of the main location.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank AJS54
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This motel is an old-fashioned place. It is not modern or fancy, but it was clean, friendly and well worth the price. We stayed in 'the annex' so we could be near the pool (which was cold but clean). The breakfast in the restaurant was top shelf, and the restaurant was friendly and cozy. We're glad we chose this motel - we were able to walk to downtown restaurants and loved them. With the money we saved from the motel, we could splurge. Would definitely go back.

Room tip: Choose the annex to be near the pool. Stay in the main motel to be near the restaurant.
Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank ncpat
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I was disappointed with our recent 2 night stay here. I had booked based on TA recommendations and had made my reservation via phone. When we arrived later in the evening of our reservation - the price they charged me was $20,00 more than what they had quoted on the telephone - apparently they quoted me the winter price - which I thought was a good deal - however if I had know what the actual price was - I would have searched further. I was also frustrated that they booked us into the annex - we were not interested in the pool - and wanted to be close to the restaurant to facilitate an early departure in the morning. They did find a room for us at the main hotel - but you may want to specify your preference when booking if this matters. Overall the room was awkward. The air conditioner is next to the bathroom sink - so you freeze when standing in front of the sink. The refrigerator is hooked up to a light switch - so if you turn off the light switch - the refrigerator goes off - but they don't tell you that - so we turned off the light switch at night - which turned off the refrigerator - so all our food was warm in the morning. Like one of the other reviewers - I found the towels to be worthless - thin and did not dry at all!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We spent 3 nights here on the last leg of our vacation. Admittedly, we never would have stayed here if the economy were better. But, you do what you have to and still create memories with your kids!
Best things about the Lamplighter: The free hot breakfast. Fantastic thick-cut bacon! Front desk lady at check in was very cheerful. Beds are Denver Mattress, seemingly brand new and very comfortable. Rooms are spacious. A.C. worked great
Negatives: Shower was filthy- grimy hand prints all over tile walls and hard water deposits on shower fixtures. Toilet was not very clean and molding around bathroom entry was grimy. Seemed like someone had lived there awhile and the bathroom hadn't been given a thorough cleaning. Television was about 20 years old, bad color and very small- a 19 inch, I would guess.
Towels were so thin they barely held water. I couldn't get myself dry after a shower- had to use a towel I brought for the pool. Blankets (1 each) on beds were threadbare and my kids and wife were freezing. No spare blankets in room to speak of. And lastly- bring a clock- they don't even furnish that!
Other reviews have said that the pool is 5 blocks down the road from the motel. This is true, HOWEVER, we were placed in their annex building which has the pool. So if your kids want a pool on location, just request the other building. BEWARE: The pool is very cold. I doubt it is even heated. Refreshing for a quick dip after the Sand Dunes, but you won't want to play in it (and my kids LOVE swimming pools).
Everything at this motel is done on the cheap, except the breakfast. You do get what you pay for, but hey, this is a cheap place to stay. But unless Obama remains President, we'll spend more money if we come back to Alamosa and stay somewhere else!
Things we loved: Colorado Gator Farm. If you have younger teen or pre- teen boys, they'll love this place. Snakes, snapping turtles and alligators everywhere. Ask for the Alligator chow bucket. It's a blast to watch the 'gators compete for food! Also, rent a sand sled from Kristy's Sports in Alamosa for $18. They'll give you a cube of sand wax for applying to it and those things fly down the sand dunes. "Course, you'll wish there was a chair lift... Also- bring ski goggles to keep sand out of your eyes. For a great swim day, go out to Hooper about 20 minutes away and try the Sand Dunes hot springs pool. Artesian hot springs, not smelly sulpher. And lastly, best place we ate was San Luis Brewery- great food, service and beer in a classic restored building on Main Street.

Room tip: If you want the pool nearby, stay in the annex building. There are about 20-30 rooms there. However, there were some road crew workers who were living there above us for 3 weeks. They got a bit loud and barbequed on the landing with their hibachis every night.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family