“Nice rooms, easy location, close to beach”

Avila Lighthouse Suites
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Avila Beach
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Stayed here for a business meeting. the rooms were nice, the staff was knowledgeable of the area, and the beach was across a promenade. I would recommend this place highly. Was jealous of all the families staying four spring break. Looked like they were having a great time!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank wmk191
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

I struggle with whether to give these guys three or four stars. I'm sitting here on a deck chair watching my kids frolic in the heated pool while hubby is on a beach run. Earlier they played ping pong at the ping pong table. The sounds of the ocean mix with the sounds of seagulls and, um, cars driving by. And that's exactly it. Avila is great in some ways, very awkward in others. We paid a premium for an "ocean front room," and yes, we can see the ocean. Across the street and parking lot right outside our "private balcony." Happily for us, we are here off season and so there are no cars parked right outside our room. If there were, I'd be able to touch them given a yardstick. Without leaning. So that's awkward. If we had chosen a second story room that would be less of an issue. If we had chosen a "Pool view" room it would be less of an issue. The decor in the rooms is kitchy -- too "themed" for my taste right down to the lifeguard chair lamp (and the bathing beauty lamps and the fake boat lantern lamps.) The walls are decorated with a number of life preserver rings like you'd find on a boat. The chairs are these very large cane backed affairs with arms that are so tall you cannot get chair under desk which means you will be walking around it in the living room. The shower curtain has sailboats on it. It's all a little much for me, but my 13 year old daughter thinks this is all adorable. The boys just love that they can run across the (not very busy) street to the ocean. I admit, the view, once you get past the parking lot, is lovely. The bay is bookended by two postcard perfect docks that go about a quarter of a mile out into the bay. Behind that are the impossibly picturesque mountains. The breakfast buffet was your standard fare, make your own waffles, toast and bagels, hard boiled eggs, cereal, coffee, hot water. No espresso maker here. If your kid is gluten free (as is one of mine) bring food or he'll go hungry. They do have whipped cream for the waffles which my little ones thought was fun. One downside to breakfast is that they have two large screen TVs playing at volume in the dining area, which I cannot stand. On the other hand, one of them, at least, was playing Dr. Seuss and Calliou. The other had the obligatory news channel with the car chases and fires and horrid here's the worst of humanity for the day. We sat by Calliou. So... verdict on Avila? Well, it is pricey for what you get. Sheets are low grade muslin and the pillows are old. My kids didn't care, didn't notice at all. They loved the fact that the lobby is literally stacked with kids beach toys. They don't have roll away beds, very big drawback for this family of 5. We ended up getting another room adjoining the one we had so that all would sleep. Rooms do have microwave and fridge so that you can grocery shop and feed the crew for less. Liked that. Wish I could give this three and a half stars. It was okay. Alright, better than okay, but be sure to get a second story room.

Room Tip: Get a second story room or a room with a pool view, you'll still see the ocean and the parking l...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank marriedtenplusyrs
A TripAdvisor Member
truckee
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Great stay,only one issue the crossing at the intersection has a beep for the blind to be alerted to the light change it kept me up every night! since the hotel was empty and I had asked to be moved away from that area and was told it would cost me(that comment does stick with me)Buy the way I am handicapped so please do not even think that I am suggesting any type of modification be done to the crossing.
Ken

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I absolutely loved my midweek trip for my birthday present. The hotel staff is extremely pleasant and helpful. The rooms are gorgeous with finish carpentry throughout. We stayed in a King suite that had a separate area with a sofa bed and T.V. There are microwaves and refrigerators in the rooms. This was helpful when we bought cheese to go with our wine and were able to store it. The breakfast has a large variety and is healthy. We were upgraded to an ocean view room for free. My husband's first time visiting Avila (I have been with girlfriends and my kids). Now he wants to retire there when we are ready. Very calm and erlaxing environment. We rented bikes and went on a bike trail and had a wonderful time exploring. definately a place I would love to take the family to visit in the summer. The prices are high....

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jennifer j
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Last week we stayed at Avila Lighthouse Suites because our usual preferred hotel, Apple Farm in San Luis Obispo was booked. We did not know what to expect since Avila has changed so much since we lived in the area 20 years before. Let me tell you we were very pleasantly surprised! We received a fantastic rate for this suite which consisted of two rooms- a family type room with couch, TV, etc and a bedroom with two queen beds. The room was impressively clean, and let me tell you, I am picky about that. It almost looked like noone had ever used the room before. We had a lovely view overlooking the pool on the second story and great view of the ocean. Beds were comfy, rooms were very quiet and there were more than enough towels, including pool towels in the room. Two clean robes hanging in the closet which my girls love. Another great feature of stays at this hotel? A free breakfast with plenty of things to choose from including: fresh fruit, yogurts, pastries, fresh-made waffles, cereals, breads and more. My only complaint about the room was that there was only one small garbage in the room, and with 3 rooms (including bathroom) there should have been more. In light of all other concerns, that one seems silly though. The reservation process was smooth, and they even gave us a better rate than quoted when calling the hotel direct as my husband had seen something cheaper on Expedia (though the room was no doubt in a lesser location). At checkin we received fresh, hot cookies (nice touch), and there was a nice covered and secured garage to park in. The area was perfect for our stay. The town is little, but there are several good restaurants (definitely look up Custom House), the beach is right there and there are several shops, places to wine taste, etc. And the beach- it's right there in front of you, complete with long pier for walking. Next time we return to the area, I will want to stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
8.6 km away
SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel
SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel
#8 of 29 in Pismo Beach

Been to Avila Lighthouse Suites? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK