All reviewsthe cottagessteep drivetile workcatalina islandshower stallsmall kitchenetteelectric fireplacefree taxi ridehot watercoffee and orange juicetwo blocksthe wi ficable tvwould definitely stay here againceiling fanan easy walktwo night stay
Reviewed 19 July 2007

Having never been to Catalina Island before we were working blind with respect to booking a room for the weekend of July 13th - 15th. This was to celebrate my birthday and our choice turned out just perfect for my husband and I.

This site is a 5-minute walk from the main street in Avalon which meant it was very quiet. It is not a new place nor a 5 star hotel but it has great charm. ( think shabby chicish) The gardens are lovely, lots of little patios one can sit at and several balconies. The majority is built up the side of a hill so there are plenty of steps depending how far up your unit is. We were in room #11; we shared a long running balcony with #9 & #10 and we had great views with even a bit of the ocean. The unit itself was exactly as pictured on their website. Clean, fresh paint, new wood floors, small bathroom, no bugs. (did see some cats lounging around the property)
We liked the fact that the kitchenette area, which included a microwave, toaster oven, under counter fridge across from a large sink/counter and cabinets was in a little room with a door we could close. I was also very happy with full size 6 drawer dresser and plenty of hangers in the closet. They could use new towels in the bathroom however, ours were not threadbare but pretty thin.

Everyone who works here does an excellent job. Tony and his family who manage the hotel and Esther and Veronica who worked the desk were a pleasure. Coffee is available all day long and the daily continental breakfast includes bagels/cream cheese, croissants, muffins, fresh fruit and orange juice.

We booked a package that include 2 nights, roundtrip Catalina Express tickets, choice of scenic bus tour or glass bottom boat excursion and free taxi ride from the dock to the hotel. This turned out well for us as we did not know how far the hotel was from the dock but we easily walked to the dock for our trip home. We did the 50-minute open air bus tour which gave us a different perspective on the island and great views. The museum at the Casino did an excellent job of detailing the history of the island.

Had great pizza at Antonio's and make a reservation at Steve's Seafood & Grill it you want an absolutely superb dinner along with a view of the harbor. We were charmed by Steve Jr. as well.

Stayed: July 2007
5  Thank InkysMom
Reviewed 12 June 2007

Las Flores is a hotel that is committing totally false advertising.
It advertises that there are rooms with Ocean Views and Garden Views...
After I have read and reviewed the photos, I decided to book an Ocean View for 3 nights for a total of approx. $650, which is quite pricey, but I guess what the heck, it's a good opportunity to relax and allow my parents to enjoy life a little...
When I check-in to my room, I looked 360 degree and see no ocean views of any size or shape.
Quite disappointed that I complained to the manager and he gave me a lame excuse that the neighbor just put up a fence on the balcony that blocked the ocean view. A closer look at the fence reveal that it's old and appears to have been there for decade.
In addition, there are not ocean view balconies for all other rooms either.
Not only Las Flores commiting false advertising but also making up story to cover up.
I want to get an ocean view room for my parent to enjoy for a few days but instead I am getting a mountain view room for the price of ocean view.
It's a great shame for Las Flores to mislead tourist and to lie afterward.

Stayed: June 2007
4  Thank lasflorescatalina
Reviewed 4 May 2007

My husband, daughter and I stayed at La Paloma last weekend and we loved it. It was exactly what a family would need when visiting Catalina Island.

First let me start off by saying the grounds are beautiful and the owners are so nice. The fountian in the courtyard was wonderful to listen to late in the evening as we wound down from a day of exploring.

The suite we stayed in was exactly what we wanted - nothing fancy, just a clean place to hang out in. Its not fancy or decorated by an interior designer, just a simple place with a microwave, fridge, coffee maker, couch and a huge king sized bed. A nice plus was an oversized tub/spa that we took great pleasure in using every evening.

There is breakfast included in the cost of the room, served outside the office and bought fresh from the market in the morning. My daughter and I ran into Tony on our mocha run in the Von's getting the necessary supplies! Again, nothing fancy - juice, coffee, fruit and bagels/danishes/whatever... but it was a perfect way to get the day started.

Would we stay there again? Absolutely. And we'll bring the in-laws with us!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank drum_roll_please
Reviewed 21 December 2006

These cottages are very charming and cozy! They are great for couples. My fiance and I arrived in Avalon mid-morning and although the check-in time was 3 p.m., we were not only allowed to check in early, we got a room upgrade at no additional charge. They have economical packages that include roundtrip boat tickets from Long Beach/two excursion choices (we did the undersea and Avalon tour on bus)/ 1 night stay for two guests. The service was excellent, there's a couple with small children who run the establishment and they are very nice. I highly recommend this lodging for anyone who appreciates good service, serenity, and charm. The property is covered with lovely plants and upon entering you'll see a fountain with patio chairs and bbquer's. I will definetly come here again!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank shellies
Reviewed 7 September 2006

This is the kind of place you either like alot or not at all. The setting is like being in a small fairy village on the side of a hill. with rustic style cottage that have tiny kitchens and small bathrooms. The walls and floors are somewhat crooked. The staff was nice, and there are plants everywhere with trellises, vines, bences, etc. We had a great hill side and sea view from a corner room.We paid an extra $10 bucks for an "Ocean view". ( Here, Ocean view does not mean close to the beach type view) Pack light, there are lots of steps if you want a room with a view. Also, there is a sign asking you to do the dishes and take out the trash. I don't think that any place that charges more that $100 should make such a request. We complied anyway. There were a few Ants here and there. And no screen on the windows. (hey, the windows actually open wide) Lots of fresh mountain air. While quieter than the waterfront in the evening, you will hear folks in the neighborhood as it is located in a residential area. In the AM you will hear folks leaving for work. However late evening was very quiet. It was simple and quite pleasant. Try for rooms 9, & 16. I would return in a more casual mood.

Stayed: September 2006