All reviews the cottages steep drive tile work catalina island shower stall small kitchenette electric fireplace free taxi ride hot water coffee and orange juice two blocks the wi fi cable tv would definitely stay here again ceiling fan an easy walk two night stay
Reviewed 27 May 2004

Nine members of my family from Pennsylvania, including children and our 90-year-old father, recently spent a night at La Paloma Cottages. Our only information about the place had come from the Internet, so we were not quite sure what to expect. But on arrival we soon realized we had made a good choice. This establishment represents a delightful change from your usual chain hotel. The walkways are covered with vines, and the frame buildings exhibit just enough topsy-turvy to keep one interested (the floors may not be quite level, and the glass in the windows contains bubbles and bulges). Some units are equipped with old stoves and refrigerators. Not all the cottages have views, and a few are a bit dark, but the charming ambience and all the flowers growing everywhere make up for this. Several members of my family were fortunate enough to get end unit No. 9, which affords a panoramic view of the town, the hills, and the sea. My elderly father was graciously accommodated in a wheelchair-accessible unit on the ground floor. We served ourselves breakfast on the patio, and one of my sisters endured the consciousness-raising experience of being challenged by an opinionated guest about her willingness to eat cereal with MILK--“No animal other than man drinks another animal’s milk.” (Well, my kitty likes cow’s milk quite well, but I digress.) Go to La Paloma for a distinctly different Californian experience.

13  Thank Trip6194
Reviewed 19 October 2003

La Paloma has a lot of charm and the people were nice there. Our room had a beautiful balcony view of the town and the ocean. The town of Avalon was nice, but the townspeople seemed very unhappy on the whole. We did not feel welcome by them. And we only had one really satifsying meal at Sally's House of Wafles. The rest was mediocre. We will return to Avalon, maybe even La Paloma. But hope the townspeople work out there problems.

16  Thank Vacationer34630