All reviews the cottages steep drive sunny lane small kitchenette tile work catalina island shower stall free taxi ride hot water two nights coffee and orange juice two blocks the wi fi long beach cable tv ceiling fan would definitely stay here again
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This property feels like home. There is one cottage here that offers the best view of the town and it looks amazing in the morning. We got free continental breakfast in the morning and Tony (owner) is a really nice guy!

Date of stay: July 2013
2  Thank Ejay L
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I have stayed in every category of hotel available in the 43 countries I have visited. I stayed at La Paloma Las Flores when I was a child. We spent many fun summers there after arriving on the steamer.

I returned to Los Angeles, Friday, May 31, 2013 from another stay at La Paloma. La Las Flores. This is Catalina as it was. The manager gave me a tour of the rooms and I was delighted to see how clean, well maintained, and charming they still are. The managers have made so many improvements. It is truly colorful and a nice place to stay. It is what I would call Catalina Remembered. The ambiance is Catalina of the Wrigley Era.

The location is great. One block up from the beach, nestled between Von's and the Plaza. There is also a laundry mat between La Paloma and Von's as well as Radio Shack for all of you who forgot needed cords and memory sticks.

The upper rooms have a view of the harbor over the rooftops and the best place to view the sunrise over Buena Vista Point.

The managers were so gracious. If I needed anything all I had to do was ask. I did not have to ask for much.

I thoroughly enjoyed the patios and barbeques available. We had a wedding reception there six years ago and the gardens were ideal. They are even more beautiful now.

Remember, it is not The Ritz, it is the last of the original Catalina hotels. It is great for anyone wanting old Catalina charm and friendly atmosphere.

I am perplexed why anyone who was not satisfied did not inform the managers. They would have fixed the problems immediately.

Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank suzanne s
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We just came from a charming La Paloma Las Flores. This was a great location to everything. The price was right and they gave us one night when all others said two night minimum. The manager Tony was very helpful, providing us with a few extra things we asked for and with a smile. It was clean and comfortable. Pretty basic but all we wanted to to sleep there and be able to walk to town. Tony kept our bags after we checked out while we ziplined. This helped us alot!I would recommend La Paloma Las Flores to anyone. Thank You and next visit to Catalina we will book at La Paloma Las Flores.

Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank KathleenF168
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Friends of mine stayed here 2 years ago and thought this little place was charming. Unfortunately, their experience didn't live up to our expectations. The rooms were dirty, left behind from the previous guests was hair and sand both in the bathrooms and bedroom area including in the sheets. This was the circumstance for my room as well as 2 other rooms in our party. I also reserved Unit A which boasted the label of a mini suite. This was sadly over stated as there was a small refrigerator and coffee maker. Where was the kitchenette promised on line? The towels hung in the rooms were damp and not fresh. The patio area for shared guests was littered with cigarette butts, used glasses and beer cans. Why wouldn't a hotel employee clean this up? The trash sat there for more than one night For almost $250 per night, we felt like we had over paid and vowed never to return. The new Pavilion Hotel in town wasn't much more in price and would be a much better option.

Date of stay: August 2012
7  Thank BethAust
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We just got back from a few days at La Paloma Las Flores, family of 3. Stayed in Cottage #4. We loved the place! The place has lots of character, perfect for a family trip. We specifically booked the cottage because it had a kitchen so we could eat in some nights. The location can't be beat, 2 blocks or so to the beach in Avalon Bay and the main street with shops and restaurants on Crescent Ave, but hidden away on a side street so you don't hear the noisy golf carts. There's a Vons supermarket down the street from La Paloma so you can pick up groceries and anything else you need for your trip. They have 2 barbeque grills setup for you to use, lots of outdoor seating in small alcoves here and there throughout the complex. It really is a beautiful place to hangout. The cottages are older, but they had newer rooms in the Las Flores section and the upper apartments have a view. They have free wifi, but we planned to unplug this vacation so we didn't need to use it. My Sprint phone had fine reception in this area, no phone in the room.

The cottage is basic, we didn't spend a lot of time indoors so it was more than enough. One double bed and 2 trundles. The kitchen had stove, oven, large sink, dishes, plates, and eating utensils, and a small fridge. The bathroom is separate from the shower stall. i can see it might get a little chilly in the winter, but in the summer it felt cool and comfortable. The day we checked-out they kept our bags for us until it was time to board the ferry. They every have showers and bathroom outside that we could've used if we had gone swimming that day.

The staff here are excellent folks. Esther at the front was very helpful and friendly. Tony was great, up and about from early morning until night, wonderful smile and a friendly hello every time he sees you.

Next visit to Catalina we'll book at La Paloma again, maybe one of the larger rooms just so we can spread out a little more.

Room tip: The "Apartments" are newer additions to the complex and have a view. Units A-D are the easiest access. Cottages are part of the original construction, older, but have kitchens or kitchenettes. Cottage * is at the top of the steps and most private.
Date of stay: July 2012