“Amazing for a low-key romantic getaway”
Review of Portofino Hotel

Portofino Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Amazing for a low-key romantic getaway”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

After doing extensive online research, I believe this hotel is the best option for those looking for great value without sacrificing quality. The sun deck was amazing, the staff was very polite, the room was clean and comfortable and the location couldn't be beat. They even let us check in to our room 4 hours early because it was ready for us; after enjoying our continental breakfast at a table overlooking the water! If we are lucky enough to return one day, we'll stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank 7521wifey
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I've been in California for 20 years and wish I had made this trip years ago. I suprised my wife for our 20th wedding anniversary and she absolutely loved it. The hotel stay was outstanding! I would recommend the Villa Portofino to my family and friends. Again thank you for making our 20th anniversary totally awesome!

• Stayed April 2012
Paris
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We had a wonderful weekend in Catalina and loved this hotel. The staff does everything possible to make your stay pleasant, The location is ideal and the rooms recently renovated and very comfortable. The restaurant is good, but the food somewhat bland.. I would recommend that they improve the kitchen. I would surely return to the hotel but not necessarily the restaurant.

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice, just redone. Some have views, some do not. There is a wonderful terrace on...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Penny1968
los angeles
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This was a great hotel - staff were friendly, quick to make up rooms and very informative. While we were there the weather conditions cancelled the ferries and the staff were all really reassuring and nice. (FYI, 50% off rooms if you're stranded on the island.) Also, unlike many other hotels I've stayed at, they seemed to genuinely want to stop for a chat with you...I read a review that poo-pooed the whole courtyard rooms having patio doors for front doors, but having stayed in one of those rooms, I can honestly say I felt safe and secure. Yes, the rooms were small, and if I could afford it next time, I'd get one of the fancier rooms with a sea view, but I really liked our room for this stay. The sun deck was virtually empty the whole weekend and it was an awesome vantage point for people watching. We took this trip as a first-family-vacation-with-baby and it worked out really well to hit the restaurants/shops and come back to the room for our baby's frequent changing/feeding needs.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cyanidesnack
Palm Springs, California, United States
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We (4 couples) had such a good time. We did our own thing during the day and then got together for a happy hour on the deck of the hotel (which faces the water) then went to dinner.
We stayed two nights and we are talking about doing it again.
3 couples are from Palm Springs, Ca and the fourth couple is from Huntington Beach.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends