All reviewsmanagement companygolf carttennis courtsbath condocatalina island vacation rentalsdetailed informationplastic wrappicnic areaworkout roomfitness centergas tankocean viewslept comfortablywasher dryerend unitbeach towelsevery amenity
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I can't wait to come back and stay at Hamilton Cove again. Our villa 2-33 was absolutely fantastic. My experience with CIVR (rental agency) from beginning to end was very pleasant and easy. We found and booked the place online, Chay emailed us the documents that needed to be signed and sent back, and when we showed up, we picked up the keys and that was that! Rental includes a golf cart which is an absolute must to wander and explore the island Do not limit yourself to town! There is so much to experience and see on the island and in all the accessible nooks and crannies. At $30 - $40 an hour to rent a cart in town, make sure you factor this in to your budget. We rolled around all over the place.

A (1980's but clean and functional) washer and dryer are available. Ours was shared and located just across the corridor. Views from this room were unobstructed and just beautiful during the day, and at night. Huge balcony and a shared charcoal grill.

Room Tip: Villa 2-33 rocks! Just a note - there are about 70 steps to go up and down to get to this villa from the parking lot. If you have small children, are elderly, or have lots of luggage, this might be a challenge.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seaLoves
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Checked in to our room and found it filthy. Yellow stains on the couch ETC. Luckily a friendly man Denny upgraded us (free of charge) to the finest suite. FANTASTIC place! Individual rooms, free wifi, TV's, movie collection, free golf cart.

We will def be back!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Yes it's expensive. Yes you have to start the laundry, throw out the trash yourself and clean up a bit on check out day. Yes you have to climb numerous stairs to get anywhere.

But you are on a cliff, with a private beach, pool, fitness center and clubhouse. You go to sleep at night with the door open to the gentle breeze and lapping waves and no other sounds.

You have your cocktail on your deck or rock in the glider reading your novel, looking up occasionally to gaze at the azure water.

You hop in the golf cart to go into town for supplies and then hurry back to paradise.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Ingrid P
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Someone referred to Catalina Island as the "best kept secret that everyone knows about" and that sums it up. An hour boat ride takes you away from the city and into this lost in time paradise where golf carts rule the road. My daughter said it reminded her of an adult Toon Town.

If you have been to Avalon/Catalina before and felt the downtown hotels are a bit small, expensive, and noisy, consider renting at Hamilton Cove. Its a totally different experience and provides you with the freedom to do everything or nothing.

2-28 was perfect for our family. It is definitely designed for renting (which I like) in the sense that there are none of the personal items that I usually find a little awkward (like family pictures, knick knacks, and all sort of "house rules"). The view is spectacular and we liked the location because it was close to the pool and fitness room. The set up for this unit (2 full bathrooms) is perfect for a family. However, if you are two couples trying to make a go of this unit, I would suggest you pony up for a 2 bedroom.

The kitchen had the essentials with plenty of dishes, glasses, silverware. The Master Bed was comfortable and had a view and small balcony which many other 1 bedroom units did not have.
If I had a teeny complaint it was nothing to do with this unit at all but rather the way these condos were all built and that is, the balconys are connected in many units, so if you have neighbors, don't talk about anything you don't want them to hear. Our friends didn't even have a partition between their balconys. (2-28 does).

I concur with the previous reviewer that a few beach chairs would have been nice and a kayak would have exceeded all expectations (not sure where they would have kept it though) - but otherwise this was a wonderful, clean, and well stocked unit. Our group rented three different units so I was able to compare and contrast them - and of course its the topic of poolside conversation ("which unit did you rent? how many stairs?" answer: 52 steps).

Thanks to Catalina Vacations for suggesting this unit and for making the reservation process so efficient. We will be back and hope 2-28 is available.

Room Tip: If someone can't make the climb up 52 steps, this one might be a struggle. I heard Building 10 is the best for people who can't do the steps because it has the only elevator in the complex.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Liadsor
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Each unit is unique in this Complex. This is what our experiences were with this particular unit...
We booked this 1 bedroom, 2-story Unit for 3 nights in August and the weather could not have been better for our stay! While the units don't have A/C, the ocean breeze and ceiling fans kept the unit cool during our big California heat wave. :) This unit has a King size bed in the bedroom, a murphy bed in the dining nook and a sofa bed in the Living Room, so both kids were happy they didn't have to sleep together! The unit has been fairly recently updated, but being a rental shows... The dishwasher only worked when it wanted to - which made me leery about using the glassware and utensils that someone else had washed prior to our arrival. The unit has two bathrooms (shower upstairs) and full bath (with tub) in the downstairs bedroom. However... the tub was NOT usable because the overflow/tub stopper cover had been removed so the tub drain could not be closed. This meant I had to force my 6 year old to take a shower (he HATES showers!). Anyone with very young children should not stay in this unit until they fix this. There were some puzzles, games, putters and golf balls (and free wi-fi, lots of cable TV channels and free long distance and local calling). I wish there had been some beach chairs and beach towels (and maybe tennis raquets/balls, a kayak or some floaties...?). The washer and dryer are located in the hallway outside the unit. I had intended on using them, but there was a note on the washer (from the previous occupant?) that said the washing machine didn't work. I used the dryer to dry our towels and swimsuits but didn't risk using the washer. I wish there had been a form for me to fill out with suggestions, etc. so I could have indicated the items that needed fixing.
This unit overlooks the pool, which we usually like so we can check out how full it is before we head down. However, it did tend to get a bit loud (and the pool is pretty small). Being that this is one of the lower units and the golf carts park down below, you also get some noise from the carts (including the BEEPing they all do when they back up). As in all of Hamilton Cove, be prepared for stairs - that's a given. But there aren't too many, since this unit is pretty low. It also has a good ocean view.
Check-in is supposed to be at 4:00, but we were able to get in before 1:00. Check-out is 10:00 - which is EARLY when your boat doesn't leave until 4:30! (The taxi ride to/from the boat or the taxi stop in town was $20+ each way!)
The "private beach" is all rocks (as is all of Catalina, it seems). The only sand to lay on is across the roadway by the BBQ's. There was really nowhere for us to let the kids go in the water and for us to be able to sit and watch them.
Overall, we were treated well by the Management Company and had a great time at Hamilton Cove! It seems expensive, but if you plan on spending more than a day or two on the island it's definitely worth it.

Room Tip: Lower units get more noise from the golf carts. The units near the pool tend to get the typical pool-noise.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family