All reviews taco bell father's day red lion is met my expectations room was clean small pool stay there again visiting family staff was helpful and friendly front desk clerk mini fridge old town lake tahoe continental breakfast western states grocery store grass valley
Reviewed 7 October 2016

We stayed here for 1 night before my son's wedding. The room was adequate. The bed (king-sized) was large and comfortable. The TV was fine. We also had a small fridge. The bathroom is set up weird with the sink in an open area just inside the door. Problem is if someone opens the door while you are at the sink the whole hall can see you. (So don't be undressed!) The toilet/shower area is tiny. Cleanliness could be MUCH better. I lost something and had to move the bedside table to look under and behind the bed - GROSS! there was an old sock , dust and other yuck that obviously had not been vacuumed in a long time.

The wi-fi was hard to sign into. And the breakfast was the standard fake eggs and turkey sausage patties. One other issue is that they allowed pets and the 2 dogs I saw there came into the breakfast room. Ugh!

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2016

I wish I had something, anything, nice to say about this place, but honestly, it was just horrible.
The pictures on their website looked OK.
Our family of 5 booked 2 rooms here, we were in town to see relatives. Apparently it was a very busy time in Auburn with a Chihuahua dog convention, and a motorcycle convention, and all other hotels were booked.
Everything about this place was just disgusting. The AC did not work in one of our ground floor rooms. We were told to just keep the windows open. It was in the high 90's while we were there. We eventually were moved to a different ground floor room, and were credited a whopping $20.
The rooms were filthy. The walls had stains on them. The carpets all through the place were filthy. The ice container in our room had crusted- brown stuff on it.The housekeeping didn't come for 2 days. We were told the housekeepers couldn't read the sign we hung on our door that said "please clean the room".-they thought it said "do not disturb". Even though I removed the sign, I was told that 6 housekeepers refused to clean our room because their shift had ended. Could not get ANY towels. Were told by the front desk that a former housekeeper had been hoarding and hiding the towels, so they had none to give us.
Cigarette butts EVERYWHERE! On the walkways, in the shrubbery, on the pool deck- seriously, everywhere. People who appeared drugged and homeless spent all day and night smoking just outside the exit doors next to our rooms, and left cigarette butts everywhere.
The eating area was so nasty! Every single fabric covered chair had old dark stains, the counters and tables were sticky and stained, the food was absolutely inedible, and the coffee had so many coffee grounds in it. There were so many people with their Chihuahuas in the breakfast room, the hallways, the lobby area- and pooping everywhere outside.
The pool area was never cleaned, the water was murky, the pool area bathroom had no toilet paper, and the "towel bin" had- no towels.
2 nights, drugged up people showed up in the lobby and EMTs were called. Both people had overdosed. We never saw any security anywhere.
Oh and every day, had to have our room key cards replaced when they stopped working.
I just don't know how this place can even stay in business.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2016

The hotel itself is manageable, it has a lot of updates, but needs new carpets desperately...always grosses me out. Here's the craziness....no fault of the ladies at the front desk, they were very nice, this is clearly a manager problem...I've been on an adventure trip for 2 weeks and frequently do laundry in hotels, this one said it had on site laundry...it does...but I put 3$ through a dryer that has no heating element...this was at 9:00 at night and my morning departure was to be 6:00 am, so I had to travel to a laundry mat and dry my clothes....huge inconvenience. Hotel desk refunded my dryer money. We also met people at the laundry mat that had the same issue at the neighboring Best Western. So...don't plan on doing your laundry at hotels in Auburn! Lol. The front desk gals were excellent, this is a manager/owner issue.

Room Tip: has a noisy road in the front of hotel. Avoid the first floor 100,s..they are across from the lobby/dining room/laundry room.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2016 via mobile

Big rooms, comfortable beds, nice looking lobby, quiet area, overall we liked it.
The thing we did not like - dirty chairs in the cafeteria, all in stains, they definitely need some cleaning.
Will return if we have to stay in this area again..

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

I stayed at the Red Lion in Auburn for one night for a business trip to Placer County. The exterior of the property is delightful and quaint. The interior is clearly being slowly upgraded -- there are still lingering reminders of the former affiliation, along with a random pile o' dead refrigerators in the lobby -- but the bed was comfortable, the space clean, the towels fluffy, and the bathroom vanity strangely attractive. Don't forget to take all the bath products -- Cascade Soapery is the best, and you can't (yet) order them for yourself, only can get them at a RL! The breakfast was adequate; I would have hoped for more fresh fruit, this being so close to the Farm to Table Capitol, but what's a hotel stay without a make-your-own waffle? (But really, an improvement in the oatmeal selection would also go a long way.) Staff was courteous, check-in was simple. Didn't get to try the spa or pool because it was 104 degrees -- which leads me to my only complaint and a protip. If coming here during the summer, avoid a west-facing room that bakes in the sun all day. I arrived at 3pm to check in, came up to my room to crank the a/c before heading out to a meeting. Came back a couple hours later and the room felt *hotter* than when I left it. Walked over to the a/c unit and it was blasting lukewarm air! Went down to the front desk to complain and was suggested to unplug and replug the unit. Did that, got some cold-ish air -- enough that I could do some work on my laptop until the sun went down. Once the sun got adequately below the horizon, real cold air started getting pumped out of the wall and, miracle of miracles, the unit even turned off! I hope new a/c units are on their list of renovations.

Anyway, I'd stay here again (with an east-facing room, and some personal stock for breakfast) and recommend you give it a try.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business