“Lecker”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

Unassuming location in a strip mall shouldn’t fool you. Delicious food- fresh rolls, spaetzle, cucumber salad all excellent! Attentive staff. Clean and friendly.

Reviewed 24 November 2017 via mobile

So the menu is terrific here. Every Germanic cuisine from Alsace to Austria, with all of Germany (and even Hungary) in between is represented. The sauerkraut is terrific, the potato pancakes first rate. The schnitzel (both veal and pork), red cabbage, and bratwurst are all decent. The strudel is more apple and raisin than pastry (which I like, but some could quibble). For drinks, skip the wine, drink the beer. The Cremant d’Alsace was flat and stale. The German potato salad was authentic, if uninspiring. Bottom line: this is blue collar German comfort food, not German haute cuisine. The ambiance is strip mall, not Vegas. I would recommend for family and friends. Not for business or romance.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

I was watching the Travel Channel, and I saw a German place that served ham hock: Talk about needing to satisfy a craving! Jägerhaus is located on Ball Rd in Anaheim, just west of the 57.

I obviously ordered the ham hock dinner ($22.95 | inc two sides). I chose German potato salad & sauerkraut. My cuz ordered the Jägerschnitzel ($18.95) w/ spaetzle & red cabbage. To drink, I had a large Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan lager, from the oldest brewery in the world (1040). For dessert, we shared an apple strudel ($5.75).

First of all, my ham hock was very good. The skin was super crispy, and the hock was massive. The only room for improvement would have been gravy bc the meat was a tad dry. Likewise, the sides were very tasty and much better vs Old World in HB, or Alpine Village in Torrance. The later two are Americanized, and have small portions: 4 Stars.

My cuz really liked her Jägerschnitzel. It was a big portion, and it and the spaetzle were covered in mushroom gravy. Nonetheless, she killed it, and she usually leaves some leftovers: 4 Stars.

Thirdly, the beer hit the spot. Its no wonder the brewery has been open nearly a millenia.

Lastly, the apple strudel was so-so. I was expecting something sweeter like what you get at the market, but this version had currants. It was too tart for my pal

Regarding the ambiance, its pretty sterile here. However, they do have a hall that seats 150 for big parties and buffet night: 3 Stars.

The service from our waiter Manolo was non-existent. He took our order, and we never saw him again. He never checked on us or refilled our water glasses. Nonetheless, the food came out quickly and the remainder of the staff were nice: 2 Stars for Manolo, 3 Stars for the rest of the team.

Jägerhaus had the best German food I've had in LA or OC. They offer more authentic items like boar, deer, elk & rabbit, and the portions are hearty.

Reviewed 20 October 2017

Not much to look at outside but the food was great. On a Saturday evening they were busy but we were seated right away. Wait staff was friendly and professional. Tried the schintzel and the goulash and both entrees were very good as were the sides. Loved the potatoes and the rolls were warm and fresh. Pricing was very reasonable.

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

The elk is a must try if you love flavor. The food was out fairly quick and the service was good. Pricing was good too. Would come back. The paprika schnitzel was just ok. Good wines and beers!

1  Thank vaneOrantrs