“Renovations have restored the Disney magic”
Review of Disneyland Hotel

Disneyland Hotel
Ranked #21 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My family and I last stayed at the Disneyland Hotel in 2006. We enjoyed the nostalgia, the proximity to the parks and Downtown Disney but it was in dire need of a makeover. The renovation cost was well spent. They probably could have spruced up the exterior a little more other than blue energy efficient windows but the focus was on the rooms and the pool area and it paid off. The headboard with the wood carved castle and the light up fireworks are exactly what I would expect from Disney. My kids thought it was really cool and asked to keep it lit throughout the night. Some of the decor at Disney hotels (mainly in Florida) can be on the cheesy side but this was classy with cool vintage photography of Walt Disney and the parks in the earlier years.

It's about a 10-15 min walk from the hotel to the entrances of the parks. Other non-Disney hotels can offer a similar walk but the proximity to Downtown Disney area and the monorail station sets it apart. Another major plus is the early entry. If you go during a crowded time, the extra hour is a huge benefit. We entered the park at or near 7am each morning and got a ton of the popular rides in by lunch time. It allowed us to eat lunch at Downtown Disney, take naps, rest and then free lance in the parks at night for rides with reasonable waits, fireworks or shopping.

The interest in Cars Land is crazy right now. The line for Radiator Springs Racers builds to 2 hours or more by mid morning. The LINE for the fast pass for the ride was an hour the other day. All of the fast passes for Racers for the entire day were gone by 9:30ish. I would recommend to either wait until things die down or stay at a Disney hotel and get there when the gate opens for early entry at 7am. Go early. Rest in the afternoon.

All this said - the prices for the Disney hotels are high, especially during the peak season. To each their own on their preference and budget. My family had a great time and part of it was due to the experience and the proximity of the Disneyland Hotel.

Room Tip: Fantasy and Adventure Towers are the closest to Downtown Disney/path to the parks.
9  Thank D.B.1976
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

The newly remodled Disneyland Hotel is beautiful, it's fun just to walk around the grounds, and the the quality of the restaurants, pools, and service is good and consistant. My husband and I came for a few days for our 25th anniversary - we stayed here for our honeymoon - so it was neat to come back to the same place. While we loved it before, and through all the years of changes and remodles, this current improvement is fantastic. It's nice to have the large pools, the outdoor fire pit, the beautiful lobbies, and improved restaurants. The staff is very friendly - from the front lobby to the lifegaurds! Although I will always miss the original Tram that pulled in front of the hotel for a ride to Disneyland, and the Olympic sized adults-only pool, the new Disneyland Hotel, and neighboring Downtown Disney is truly great! The best time to go is early May - the waether is great and the summer crowds have not quite begun. We went in early June for our anniversary and it was already starting to get crowded. Going to Disneyland in the evenings, and spending the day at the Hotel is the way to go!

Room Tip: Rooms that overlook the pools are especially nice because of the pretty view of the grounds.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Rebecca H
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I could only afford two nights but I wish we could have stayed forever! I stayed there once way back when I was 14 or 15 (I'm 30 now) and I wasn't impressed. They really, really hit it out of the park with the renovations. There are Mickey's everywhere. The best part is the musical, light up headboard. Everything is just gorgeous. We stayed in the middle tower and had a lovely view of the pool. We did an "in room celebration" for my son's 4th birthday and everything was set up before we got there, just as planned. It was very clean and I did not see any signs of creepy crawlers of any kind (I checked, I'm super paranoid about hotels since the whole bb panic). I slept like a baby. We ate dinner at Goofy's Kitchen and they brought out a pirate's treasure chest and dessert for my son all on their own. The food was hands down the best buffet food we've ever had. My son isn't much for crowds and after a couple of hours in Disneyland, he asked if we could go back to the hotel because he liked it better there!!! He cried when we checked out. Great experience. Thank you DLH!!!

3  Thank Leeannate
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I come here once a year and love it. If you stay at the hotel you get to ride the monorail into the park and its about a 3 minute ride. Lines can get long so you should go early in the morning around 7:30. The waterslide is new and pretty cool. Kids will love it. You are able to go eat breakfast with Goofy at his restruant. And at night it is right next to downtown disney so you can walk through and have fun. And if your kids get tired at the park just take the monorail back to the hotel so they can sleep or just rest.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Don S
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We just returned from our three night stay at the new Disneyland Hotel and I was so disappointed. We go to Disneyland at least once or twice a year and usually stay at one of the three Disneyland Hotels. This year we wanted to try out the newly renovated Disneyland Hotel.
We were greeted by the most uptight, mean spirited woman at the front desk. She rushed us through and brushed off my questions.There wasn't even anyone else in line behind us. My aunt was supposed to be on the same floor as us so that she could watch our kids while my husband and I went to a nice dinner but they were unable to help us. The gal was so nasty and rude to us that one of my twin 7 year old daughters asked, "Why is that lady so mean to you, mommy?"
Upon check out, I noticed that we did not get the senior rate, even though I told them at check in that we were traveling with my aunt and she verified that we were. When I called the front desk, the gentleman at the front desk rudely replied that there was nothing he could do about it. I insisted on speaking to the manager on duty after he rudely brushed me off and lied to me by saying that I was getting the better rate (AAA) anyway. The AAA rate is only 10% off but the senior rate is 30% off!!
I then spoke to the manager on duty, Judy, and she fixed the rate. Why do they have such mean spirited people working at the front desk?
There were a few times during our stay that I needed something, such as an extra blanket and to speak to someone in the sundry shop. On both occasions I had to call several times before someone picked up the phone to help. Don't they have enough staff to answer a phone???
I spent well over $5,000.00 on this trip for 5 but felt like I should have just stayed at one of the local motels instead.

13  Thank Momof4SJ